First Tokai MTB AGM

Vince

Agreed OM.

I was not aware that they had appointed anyone specifically to deal with MTB at TMNP - whats your source? The fact that they have such people is perhaps because they are taking it seriously not because it is a hassle. Your comments are couched in negativity in the main. Maybe some happy pills would give you a more positive disposition?

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I respectfully disagree. If you had been there last night you would have heard Meurant encouraging the committee to approach the city and local politicians to exert pressure on Sanparks to up their game in terms of opening up access. You would have also heard Meurant saying that he had told Sanparks that if they don't come to the party this year Amarider would effectively pull out of Tokai and that Tokai would descend into a free for all.

I would at this point advising against making statements that could harm the process. Why don't you wait a little while so you can get a clear understanding of what we need to do... All in good time.

While we do have friends in the city, it needs to be said that the city are engaging in several heated topics around Parks policies right now. Hopping on the bandwagon with the few councillors showing sympathy with us riders before elections, may not be the best course of action while we sit around the table drawing up management plans - and certainly not before they need to appoint consultants for pending studies.

That much is true. I can tell you I've been in contact with both Myles and Deon today to try to get them to come out to Jonkers for the enduro this weekend so we can ride and chat in more friendly surroundings. We are after all mountain bikers first.

True, but I can't make it. It got to the point where I had to tell the Mrs exactly how long I was going to be out of the house for (apparently "sometime before 5" isn't a valid answer) and then other more important things got in the way (no way I'm going to say no to her client meeting that could net us 10k more than our usual income) and I had to pull out.

Guest Omega Man

True, but I can't make it. It got to the point where I had to tell the Mrs exactly how long I was going to be out of the house for (apparently "sometime before 5" isn't a valid answer) and then other more important things got in the way (no way I'm going to say no to her client meeting that could net us 10k more than our usual income) and I had to pull out.

For sure. Work and family first.

how many people were at the meeting ?

The whole point of talking about the issues here on the Hub, over a beer at Jakes, as well as on Facebook, was to get it out in the open before the AGM. Not that many people commented here, but many more followed the discussions, heated as they were at one stage. The result was that last night at the AGM most of those 60 guys that attended, already knew the problems, and worked out for themselves what had to be done next, which was to select a 5-man committee to take things forward. That was done in excellent fashion. If the AGM was used as a handbag fight, it could never have been half as successful as it turned out. Now the new committee has to get the chance to do their thing, until next year when we can question or praise them.

The whole point of talking about the issues here on the Hub, over a beer at Jakes, as well as on Facebook, was to get it out in the open before the AGM. Not that many people commented here, but many more followed the discussions, heated as they were at one stage. The result was that last night at the AGM most of those 60 guys that attended, already knew the problems, and worked out for themselves what had to be done next, which was to select a 5-man committee to take things forward. That was done in excellent fashion. If the AGM was used as a handbag fight, it could never have been half as successful as it turned out. Now the new committee has to get the chance to do their thing, until next year when we can question or praise them.

A year? Bugger that I'm giving them about a week before I start moaning :D:lol:

Guest Omega Man

A year? Bugger that I'm giving them about a week before I start moaning :D :lol:

hahaha. Touche.

I just want you guys, the volunteers, in particular to know that never ever was it our intention to hurt or offend you guys. I've sweated alongside most of you so please know that that is straight from the heart. Vince and I have had more than one discussion about how we were hurting guys that we very much identify with.

I also think that we all have a role to play here. Myles has done a great job of rallying the volunteers and I hope he'll continue in that.

Oh and the first port of call on the first volunteer build / maintain day - that flippin dh3 / vasbyt intersection that was discussed on vleisboek.

That's an easy fix. Cut in a berm on vasbyt to remove that small loop. Disaster avoided. Cos we all know the maintenance team can build berms. Roots, dh2, dh3, vasbyt, boomslang and mamba are testament to that.

ally thing the same that the whole hand bags at dawn via social media would either have led to a crazy agm or a very well informed and civilised one. ......glad it was the latter

Oh and the first port of call on the first volunteer build / maintain day - that flippin dh3 / vasbyt intersection that was discussed on vleisboek.

That's an easy fix. Cut in a berm on vasbyt to remove that small loop. Disaster avoided. Cos we all know the maintenance team can build berms. Roots, dh2, dh3, vasbyt, boomslang and mamba are testament to that.

Noe you mention them - are the maintainance team back up and running?

Yeaaahhh at last....make that berm REAL! Com'on already!