BMI ... more like BS Measurment

Izak

I cannot understand why companies such as discovery still utlises the normal weight vs. heigh BMI measurements to see whether you are in shape or not?

Maybe one of you can put shed more light on this for me.

I am 1.8m tall and weigh 86kg at the moment (I am still going down) but even now people are starting to tell me to seriously stop now as I am starting to look funny.

Even if I go down to 80 kg I will still be classed as overweight!!

I have always been quite muscular and therefore I feel that it is a bull**** way of measuring and they should wake the f up.

Maybe I'm clueless but please tell me why and how and I will gladly accept my "overweight" status!!!!

Attached pic is of me in November 2013 I have since lost another+-3 kg still classed as fat....

post-13721-0-89766000-1391579632_thumb.jpg

Edited by Izak

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go for a fitness assesment at Virgin(also counts for discovery points). There they actually measure your fat%. BMI is the easiest way for discovery to check the majority of the population.

From Vitality's website:

Body mass index (BMI) – BMI is a widely accepted, reliable indicator of a person’s weight status. As a screening tool it is appropriate for the majority of the population. However, because the BMI calculation is dependent only on a person’s weight and height it may give an inaccurate indication of body composition in certain populations, for example in pregnant women and body builders. In these cases body fat percentage or waist circumference measures may be more accurate.

I don't work for discovery or anything but I know quite a few people who has complained about this...

Go for a fitness assesment at Virgin(also counts for discovery points). There they actually measure your fat%. BMI is the easiest way for discovery to check the majority of the population.

From Vitality's website:

Body mass index (BMI) – BMI is a widely accepted, reliable indicator of a person’s weight status. As a screening tool it is appropriate for the majority of the population. However, because the BMI calculation is dependent only on a person’s weight and height it may give an inaccurate indication of body composition in certain populations, for example in pregnant women and body builders. In these cases body fat percentage or waist circumference measures may be more accurate.

I don't work for discovery or anything but I know quite a few people who has complained about this...

Yeah no that is actually why I have started this thread because I want to go for my annual Vitality assessment but in that they use BMI and waist circ. It's just really inaccurate unless I think I am skinny now and in fact I am still dik :eek:

I had my body measured at a Virgin about 3 weeks ago and agree that that is a much more accurate indicator.

Edited by Izak

Yeah no that is actually why I have started this thread because I want to go for my annual Vitality assessment but in that they use BMI and waist circ. It's just really inaccurate unless I think I am skinny now and in fact I am still dik :eek:

I had my body measured at a Virgin about 3 weeks ago and agree that that is a much more accurate indicator.

Go for a body composition test - also used for Vitality ect.

It is the most accurate way - it tells you % of fliud, bone, muscle, fat ect.

The place is called bodystrat

I think you will lose the bonus points at dischem but you will get all the bonus points for the fitness assessment after they have checked your actual body fat percentage...

I think because the Vitality check is easy points to get, they wont be changing the way they measure it very soon.

Your not dik that's for sure

I'd be more worried about what happened to the belly button fluff and nipple warmers

I'd be more worried about what happened to the belly button fluff and nipple warmers

BWAHAHAHAAHAA eish only us Van's hey!!!

Oh and the miserable attempt at Movember..... :ph34r:

Go for a body composition test - also used for Vitality ect.

It is the most accurate way - it tells you % of fliud, bone, muscle, fat ect.

The place is called bodystrat

Cool stuff I'd rather do that. I don't need the easy points that much as I am more than active enough but just for myself I think such a measurement might be pretty cool!!

Thanks!

From Vitality's website:

Yeah, at my discovery assessment I was flagged for having too low a BMI and too high body fat :eek: The calipers body fat method is only as accurate as the person who takes the measurements...

OP in the other end of the same boat, my feeling is if you scrutinise your diet and your exercise routine and are satisfied tell them to go jump... btw most of the fittest sports people are healthy weight anomalies.

I agree - I just had a Discovery fitness assessment and failed on the BMI - I am 1.72 and 85 kg, sure I could loose a few kg's but I am a big boned person, fairly muscular, their measurements do not take this into account. They use those pincers and yes there is a bit of flab around my waste but I challenged them to find one iota of fat on my legs which they did not, they stick to a certain procedure which does not work for me.

From wikipedia. And we all know wikipedia is the ultimate reference guide

The medical establishment has acknowledged major shortcomings of BMI.[22] Because the BMI depends upon weight and the square of height, it ignores basic scaling laws whereby mass increases to the 3rd power of linear dimensions. Hence, larger individuals, even if they had exactly the same body shape and relative composition, always have a larger BMI.[23] Also, its assumptions about the distribution between lean mass and adipose tissue are inexact. BMI generally overestimates adiposity on those with more lean body mass (e.g., athletes) and underestimates excess adiposity on those with less lean body mass. A study in June 2008 by Romero-Corral et al. examined 13,601 subjects from the United States' third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES III) and found that BMI-defined obesity (BMI > 30) was present in 21% of men and 31% of women. Using body fat percentages (BF%), however, BF%-defined obesity was found in 50% of men and 62% of women. While BMI-defined obesity showed high specificity (95% for men and 99% for women), BMI showed poor sensitivity (36% for men and 49% for women). Despite this undercounting of obesity by BMI, BMI values in the intermediate BMI range of 20–30 were found to be associated with a wide range of body fat percentages. For men with a BMI of 25, about 20% have a body fat percentage below 20% and about 10% have body fat percentage above 30%

What's interesting is if you look at what your lower limit can be to still be considered healthy.

I'm 1.93m and weigh about 105. Upper limit is 93 kg, lower is.... 68kgs. So discovery actually think that someone my height is healthy at 68kgs.

I remember seeing an article about how BMI is based on the theory that your bodyweight is proportional to the square of your height which is why tall people are really disadvantaged on the upper end of the BMI, and short people on the lower end. Remember him proposing a new BMI calculator where it's proportioned to the cube of your height amd it produced a much more normalised BMI. Cannot for the life of me remember who it was tho.

What's interesting is if you look at what your lower limit can be to still be considered healthy.

I'm 1.93m and weigh about 105. Upper limit is 93 kg, lower is.... 68kgs. So discovery actually think that someone my height is healthy at 68kgs.

I remember seeing an article about how BMI is based on the theory that your bodyweight is proportional to the square of your height which is why tall people are really disadvantaged on the upper end of the BMI, and short people on the lower end. Remember him proposing a new BMI calculator where it's proportioned to the cube of your height amd it produced a much more normalised BMI. Cannot for the life of me remember who it was tho.

Still won't be accurate. The men in my family have got really broad shoulders and big bones and even when carrying no excess weight, come in obese according to the BMI calc. They are +- 6ft so fairly average height.