Cycle Lab settles the wheel size debate once and for all

Rata Del Spruit

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya many many $$$$$$ spent fixing myself up or repairing the 29er. And here I thought I was doing the right thing or the "IN" thing by upgrading to a 29er. Maybe I should stick to golf or something.

I thought Mountain Biking was the "new" golf...

Has anyone been to cycle lab today to see if said idiot employee signwriter has received his beating with a floor pump?

Im still gobsmacked at these signs, and I thought our president was the epitomy of stupid with his "eight point two hundred" (8,200) statement.

Has anyone been to cycle lab today to see if said idiot employee signwriter has received his beating with a floor pump?

Im still gobsmacked at these signs, and I thought our president was the epitomy of stupid with his "eight point two hundred" (8,200) statement.

The sign is probably aimed at total beginners. salesmen are sick and tired of explaining. Now they let them sort themselves out, take their money and forget about them.

You need to calm down Chukky.

Damn wheelsize! I knew there must be a valid reason why Sauser rides away from me! I am going to sell my bikes. I am 1.72m. I will wait for the 650A wheelsize to be produced before I buy a mtb again.

It does/did already.

Courtesy of Sheldon Brown

650[Letter]

In the French sizing system, tires are designated by a three-digit number, which may be followed by a letter. The number is the nominal outside diameter of the tire the rim was originally designed for. The absence of a letter indicated a narrow tire; "A", "B" and "C" indicated increasingly wider tires."A" was originally a tire about 30 mm wide, so the 650A rim is pretty large, 590 mm. If you add the top and bottom 30 mm tire thickness to 590, you wind up with the 650 mm tire diameter.

The 650C size was originally intended for a quite wide tire, about 40 mm wide. Top and bottom 40 mm tire plus the 571 mm rim size again bring you to a 650 mm outside diameter, even though the rim was smaller.

With time, however evolutionary processes have led to different widths of tires being applied to the rim, so the nominal 650 mm designation is now more theoretical than practical.

597 mm, 650, is the same as the British 26 x 1 1/4" size used on club bicycles, and was also adopted by Schwinn for use on 3-speeds with a 1 3/8" wide tire. This size is seen less and less, as the bicycles which use it become rare.

590 mm, 650A, also called 26 x 1 3/8", is the size used on the classic English 3-speed. There's nothing theoretically wrong with this size (other than confusion with the Schwinn size!), but the selection of tires and rims available for it is pretty scanty these days.

571 mm, 650C, was originally a wide, balloon tire size, used on many older Schwinn cruisers. These days, however, it is mainly seen on triathlon bikes and time-trial machines. Available tires and rims are mostly very narrow, intended for competition use.

584 mm, 650B, is the focus of this article. This size, also known as 26 x 1 1/2", is most popular in France, where it was the traditional size for loaded touring bikes and tandems, as well as general utility bikes.

The 650B size was never common in the U.S., and it went into decline even in France with the advent of the mountain bike. However, there is a dedicated group of fans of this wheel size, who have been diligently working to restore it to its former glory.

The situation as far as tire and rim availability has lately taken a turn for the better, and the future looks rosy for 650B.

Edited by Flowta

They've got some Surly 26" frames in the shop but I reckon people are too embarrassed to ask about them :)

My 26" Intense 5.5 frame which I bought a few years ago was hanging up in a shop in Pta North with a R18999 price tag. I think most who saw it:

a) didn't know what it was.

b) must have been too scared to ask.

The fact they use 27.5" is already an incompetence warning.

Let alone the rest of the waffle.

Is it not now owned by Pro Shop? I haven't been in to one for a while, but they used to display clubs arranged by handicap.

The sign is probably aimed at total beginners. salesmen are sick and tired of explaining. Now they let them sort themselves out, take their money and forget about them.

You need to calm down Chukky.

If saleman are sick and tired of explaining they need to find another job, its their job to explain the differences.

Those signs are just plain stupid, thats like a gynecologist telling your wife that in order to have tall children your husbands penis must be taller to inject the baby batter towards the rear of the factory.

My 26" Intense 5.5 frame which I bought a few years ago was hanging up in a shop in Pta North with a R18999 price tag. I think most who saw it:

a) didn't know what it was.

b) must have been too scared to ask.

Kinda like Santa Cruz Bronson carbon frames...

If you have to ask how much, then it's not for you.

If saleman are sick and tired of explaining they need to find another job, its their job to explain the differences.

Those signs are just plain stupid, thats like a gynecologist telling your wife that in order to have tall children your husbands penis must be taller to inject the baby batter towards the rear of the factory.

So, just how tall are your children? :ph34r: :whistling: :devil: ;) :D

Calm down Chukky