History of the Hub

Witkop

I'm the original.

Since we're talking history, here is some insight on how it began:

Back in 2003 I had the idea to start a Cape Town focussed cycling 'portal' called Cycling CT. As a keen roadie and computer geek it was a cool project to combine two passions, fill a gap in the market and hopefully earn a little pocket money with time.

The site was to become the go-to place for CT based cyclists with news, results, event calendars, routes & trails, link directories and a message board. After spending weeks compiling various route maps, write ups and other content I quickly realised the content was a bit thin and very limited. Keeping it fresh and interesting for visitors would be challenging.

In researching web design I'd come across various user driven 'message boards' (as they were known at the time) which focussed around particular niches. Long story short, Cycling CT was scrapped and The Hub SA was born.

The first promotion was in the form of windscreen flyers at various Cape league & fun rides. A trickle feed of visitors began visiting and posting, but it was really only when Super Cycling restricted and subsequently shut down their own message board that we started to get some traction.

Their shutdown was actually lucky timing and pure coincidence, but certainly gave The Hub its kickstart into online existence.

Well done on being 1 of the few people capable of combining their passion with their skill set successfully.That's what I and probably most others dream of being able to do one day.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My earliest memories was Crux from TCS and the North vs South Argus challenge. Big H working in Mozambique and riding his tandem up and down those crappy roads.

Admin, I remember that Yellow background quite vividly.

Talk about North vs South challenges, those were fun.

The yellow site was before my time.

I remember back when Johan Boarman? used to give comprehensive service and bike tips. Detailed pics and writeups. The community wasnt small but very Cape Town centered.

The hub made a massive contribution to my enjoyment of cycling. Thanks!

Another bit of history is the 'couch photo'. I think it was 'RudeDog' who posted this pic in 2005 with a particularly "interesting" couch in the background. And so began the flurry of bike-couch photos.

2005-09-20_161738_Image007.jpg

Not a flurry of coach photos, but rather the institution that bikes had to be photographed in front/ on the couch. It was a breach of protocol to do otherwise. I fine tradition now ignored by the noobies.

Those were the days!!

People had constructive contributions to make. There was none of the trolling and snide remarks like presently. If a noob asked a "silly" question, the "old timers" helped out with pertinent and relevant info, not the ridicule and sarcasm of today's posters.

This was left unchecked for too long, and chased away many of these sources of information.

Edited by Wannabe

Matt - I remember a few years ago there was an article in one of the local mags on the Hub - think it was Bicycling.

I have lost that issue and never got to read the article.

Do you have it maybe?

Thanks.

Matt - I remember a few years ago there was an article in one of the local mags on the Hub - think it was Bicycling.

I have lost that issue and never got to read the article.

Do you have it maybe?

Thanks.

I've got a copy somewhere at the office. Will take a look tomorrow.

I've got a copy somewhere at the office. Will take a look tomorrow.

Great thanks - I think there are quite a few hubbers who would also like to see it.

Those were the days!!

People had constructive contributions to make. There was none of the trolling and snide remarks like presently. If a noob asked a "silly" question, the "old timers" helped out with pertinent and relevant info, not the ridicule and sarcasm of today's posters.

This was left unchecked for too long, and chased away many of these sources of information.

It was left unchecked for far too long unfortunately. But there are still many great Hubbers all with a wealth of info to share. And with a concerted effort to clamp down on trolling we're already seeing an improvement.

Those were the days!!

Yes, the hub had a different feel back then but the community has since grown. All the knowledge is still here and the people are very much the same bunch, you just have to ask and be kind. Its still like the sandpit at kindergarten, be nice and share your marbles.

Biggest difference for me is the formal classifieds section and when the need for active moderation started. Both have pros and cons.... but more pros :)

I met Admin at the 2006 Knysna cycle race, hin and another of his UCT teammates (Lance, hus hub handle is Donkey) were shacked up with a bunch of us Afrikaans okes. They handled us boere well.

It was here were I learned of thehubsa, and the start of a "slight" addiction. At this stage he ran it on the side while studying,.

back then bigH was still in moz, and a lot more chilled. TCS came and went. TitusTi and eldron had a bunch of knowledge and wisdom.

And the vibe was a lot more chilled. But also with less activity.

Those were the days!!

yep. I remember joining because of this.

My first posts were because I coukdnt get pedals off. Hubbers pointed out I was tightening instead of loosening. :) post a question like that now and it will be 5 pages of handbags.