Shocking incident between van driver and cyclists in Camps Bay

Surv0MTB

Guys, silly question.

The one's that train/ride on that stretch often, KNOWS that the stretch through Campsbay and then along Beach rd in Greenpoint is a very busy section, especialy on a Saturday / Sunday or Public Holiday. Pedestrians, Taxis, Busses, Cars looking for Parking spots, Cars pulling out of Parking spots, People disembarking from vehicles and opening doors into the taffic, etc. all poses a great danger.

Why then try and "race" through these areas. That is irresponsible and puts your own life and that of others in danger.

To answer your question: Windgat maybe?

Don't know the area .....BUT what other options are there for cyclists if they don't go through there

:stupid:

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

would it not be wiser to have a support car at the front and at the back?

Support cars frustrate me. Joe Average with someone driving behind causing even more mayhem for vehicles also using the road. I had to overtake a car following some guy who was slooooooow. I am in middle of road cos they cant drive properly in the yellow lane (in the Cradle cycling area ). Drive the car normally and shuttle up and down the road if you must.

Or like a saw for the Slovakians training for Ironman, drive 4 km's up the road and wait for them to reach you.

Or, sit at the top of a downhill and wait till last rider is out of site, then drive up to them again and park and wait.

Or

Or

At least the motorist parked next to us heard us shouting at him. That must have counted for a few points in her book, at least. One down, so many more to go. :whistling:

This is a very welcome side-effect :thumbup:

Guys, silly question.

The one's that train/ride on that stretch often, KNOWS that the stretch through Campsbay and then along Beach rd in Greenpoint is a very busy section, especialy on a Saturday / Sunday or Public Holiday. Pedestrians, Taxis, Busses, Cars looking for Parking spots, Cars pulling out of Parking spots, People disembarking from vehicles and opening doors into the taffic, etc. all poses a great danger.

Why then try and "race" through these areas. That is irresponsible and puts your own life and that of others in danger.

Stooopid is what stooopid does, and that stretch of road was filled to even greater capacity with Sunshine D event walkers. We, the Argus cyclists of this world, would be greatly (and rightly) peeved if hundreds of walkers and runners infested our route on Sunday, yet we believe common courtesy is others to give and ours to take (but not vice-versa).

I would have loved to see a video of the lead rider moering into the back of the parked van ahead.

Of course not. I find physical violence almost always unjustifiable. Unless you are in a fight... Which is hard to be in if you are on the outside with your friends and you're attacking a lone person on the inside of a car.

The best place to be in a fight is the "Rincewind approach"* and that is to be somewhere else. And still running**.

* Mildly obscure Discworld reference

** I may not always take my own advice

Don't know the area .....BUT what other options are there for cyclists if they don't go through there

Geneva Drive and Houghton road. Camps bay main Rd is flat, and it was crowded more than usual due to a walking event on the same day. These windgat riders should learn to climb!

I believe that the suggestion is to ride through the area as if its a "neutral" area, not that cyclists should not use it.

Oops. Sorry, I may have misunderstood the context of the question.

Edited by Blackbeard

The best place to be in a fight is the "Rincewind approach"* and that is to be somewhere else. And still running**.

* Mildly obscure Discworld reference

** I may not always take my own advice

A Terry Pratchett reader. Now for some epic quotes

A Terry Pratchett reader. Now for some epic quotes

“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.”

Lots of space before these areas to race. When going through here I'm normaly on Red Alert and going slowly.

Strava Segments is not that important to me. :whistling:

Lots of space before these areas to race. When going through here I'm normaly on Red Alert and going slowly.

Strava Segments is not that important to me. :whistling:

Personally I try to go as fast as possible on the segment / area just after clifton etc, where the road narrows, Cars generally don't go as fast around there cos of the way it twists and turns, and there are construction trucks and double parked cars all along there. SO I generally put foot there, and relax on the coastal road section when things widen up a bit. Same as Kalk Bay / Muizenberg main road. I hit that section as fast as possible so that drivers don't get frustrated. And I thank them for waiting. Or pull in when there's a gap between parked cars...

I believe that the suggestion is to ride through the area as if its a "neutral" area, not that cyclists should not use it.

Oops. Sorry, I may have misunderstood the context of the question.

Nope, you read it right, and got it right. :thumbup:

Personally I try to go as fast as possible on the segment / area just after clifton etc, where the road narrows, Cars generally don't go as fast around there cos of the way it twists and turns, and there are construction trucks and double parked cars all along there. SO I generally put foot there, and relax on the coastal road section when things widen up a bit. Same as Kalk Bay / Muizenberg main road. I hit that section as fast as possible so that drivers don't get frustrated. And I thank them for waiting. Or pull in when there's a gap between parked cars...

Cap, I'm talking of the stretch from the Traffic light close to SAPS and up to the little climb before Maiden Cove in Campsbay, and the the whole stretch from the swimming Pool to the Library in Greenpoint.

These are the busiest and most dangerous sections. Got to be wide awake here.

Rest of the sections you described, I also go as fast as possible to be as least of an obstruction to traffic as I can be.

Edited by Wannabe

Cap, I'm talking of the stretch from the Traffic light close to SAPS and up to the little climb before Maiden Cove in Campsbay, and the the whole stretch from the swimming Pool to the Library in Greenpoint.

Yeah. There are dangers all over on that whole stretch. Full alert all the time, along there. Camps Bayians, stumbling after too many martinis, then then multitude of other people along the other area next to teh promenade...

Biased much?

Short precis:

Cyclists wearing MC2 kit unlawfully attack the occupant of a stationery vehicle. It is recorded by 3rd party and it goes viral sparking unchecked vitriol against the club and cyclists in general.

Apologists contend we need to know the facts and what happened before the assault.

Others argue that what happened before does not justify violence. While what happened before creates context it does not affect the unacceptable and unlawful nature of the act.

Apologists insist that we need to know the FACTS and then proceed to speculate wildly to justify the MC2 riders involved while insisting that they do not condone the act (the "its wrong but he's my buddy view").

The MC2 riders are arrested and charged criminally. PPA kicks them out of the Argus and suspends them pending an enquiry.

What happened to the "Alfa Bodyworks riders"..? are they thrown out of the league as well..? from the footage its the Alfa Bodyworks rider that throws the punches not a MC2..!

No man for safety..

I really just asked.. I know nada about what the roadies normally do. . So was a honest question man ;)

Soooo...ek vra maar net lol

You were being perfectly reasonable and I was trying to be funny.

....so where do you think the weapons should go? - hitting a guy with a bike is so lame