Shocking incident between van driver and cyclists in Camps Bay

Surv0MTB

Seems I have touched a nerve, U must be a friend or even family of the van gang, but don't get upset I will tell the story as it happened.

Seems that Zakkie is an attention seeking person that doesnt truly understand the ramifications of the incident and how something like this will affect peoples attitudes towards cyclists for a long time to come.

While this is certainly not a personal attack on Zakkie, if he/she does indeed have any information to add, then let him take that information to the police, PPA, Cycle Tour management e.t.c. where the information can be verified and acted upon.

Failing which, lets not give this person any more attention than what he/she has already gotten

:angry: The little game that he/she is playing doesnt help the situation out there and here on the hub at all where the cycling community is already in an uproar about the "incident"

the other thing is.....how on earth can the driver of the van control what the people in the back of the van are doing. It is not his job to manage the team of "cleaners" but merely to transport them around. From what I have read, he is but a youngster himself trying to do a civic duty that many of us wouldnt do ourselves....I mention this since if indeed cyclists were pelted with water bombs, then why take it out on the driver ????????

Edited by Btus

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My thinking keeps bringing me back to the same point. What did the driver do to warrant this response??? More to this for sure! Doubt it will come out though....

My thinking keeps bringing me back to the same point. What did the driver do to warrant this response??? More to this for sure! Doubt it will come out though....

Agreed, what if a video of the preceding 2 minutes showed the van purposefully riding them of the road or passing them and then purposefully stopping in front of them trying to injure them. Would all violence still be considered wrong by thehub jury? Perhaps then the people in the van would be considered the mob?

If they were simply taunted it's a show of bad character, if their safety was threatened it would still be wrong but the public outcry would be less and the brush we all get painted with allot smaller.

So in the interest of the sentiment against cyclists the full story will help over and above the swift action against these thugs.

Edited by Showtime

Think this is where some of us disagree,

It was a few, it was not 2, those 2 might be the one's seen, but it was the entire group that was responsible for this, it was not those 2 sacrificed that stood in front of the door/window alone, it was the entire group, shouting etc.

The entire group should be named and brought to the disciplinary.

G

I was not in any way involved in the incident and I'm sure many members of mcc were not either. The club has complied with the requests of the Cycle tour and PPA management and unless circumstances have changed MCC and its members have not been banned from riding the tour.

The MCC club has done sterling work in many impoverished communities and it's unfortunate the actions of a few have tarnished their reputation.

I am going to proudly wear a MCC cycle jersey on argus day to represent the good work the club has done over the years.

It was a few, it was not 2, those 2 might be the one's seen, but it was the entire group that was responsible for this, it was not those 2 sacrificed that stood in front of the door/window alone, it was the entire group, shouting etc.

G

Agreed - what is the legal situation re being part of a group and then not doing anything to stop an illegal action by the members of that group.

G

Since when should shouting at someone be cause for a disciplinary??

The chaps who resorted to the physical attack of the driver should get what's coming to them. We can all see that it was inappropriate, irrespective of the provocation. But something in this story doesn't make sense yet. We should get some info filtering out of the disciplinary tomorrow, unless someone is brave enough to give a full account sooner.

Guest silver de lange

Het die gangsters in Kaapstad nou fietsklubs gestig en nou baklei hulle mekaar van Elsies tot Houtbaai op hulle fietse. Was daar TIK betrokke. Indien wel die verkeerde opkikker om te gebruik.

As per the drivers account of what went down. He was driving the van collecting water sachets that was left over after the big walk. The guys (unknown amount) in the back of the were playing with the sachets spraying each other with water, and for some reason sprayed the group of cyclists.

Now this brings the what happened before that question to mind, did the cyclist perhaps shout abusive remarks at the driver thinking he was a taxi "out to get them"?

Did the van pass the group of cyclists to close? Did the group ride more than two or three abreast?

We can go on and on trying different scenarios, but the outcome will all end up the same. what should have been done is no matter what happened the group should have been the men and let it go. If the driver caused damage or death the group should have reported it and let the law run it's cause.

That i feel is the reason the majority of us on here are passing judgement on the cyclists. Cause no matter what lead up to the visual evidence, nothing could justify the actions taken by the cyclists.

G

I hear you, but I think the publics outrage is due to the violent acts of aggression towards the driver and passenger, if the PPA assesses the need to bring all parties even the youngsters not partaking in these acts I'm sure the club would comply.

I was not in any way involved in the incident and I'm sure many members of mcc were not either. The club has complied with the requests of the Cycle tour and PPA management and unless circumstances have changed MCC and its members have not been banned from riding the tour.

The MCC club has done sterling work in many impoverished communities and it's unfortunate the actions of a few have tarnished their reputation.

I am going to proudly wear a MCC cycle jersey on argus day to represent the good work the club has done over the years.

Thats your call. Remember that 30 odd thousand cyclists and 100 odd thousand spectators only saw the youtube clip and are not following the rest of this story. Unless we have a conviction of the criminals responsible by Friday and it makes the front page by Saturday, this won't change.

You can expect to be sworn at, spit at, maced, perhaps even have a wheel slammed into your face. Not because you deserve it, but because the public out there is still angry about the whole thing and by wearing that jersey they might think that you are condoning your club members' actions (we know you mean the opposide, but they don't).

In the peloton you should be prepared to have a very lonely ride as riders are sure to avoid you and if you are in any of the more competitive bunches they'll try to drop you at the first opportunity as they would not want to be associated with that jersey that you are wearing so proudly.

My advise to you and your fellow club members is to rather see if you cannot get something out there on your ride to spread a message of tolerance and goodwill to fellow road users. Try to be as visible as possible. A banner at the startline, perhaps have your club chairman apologise before the start of the elites on national TV, or even a fund raiser to cover the damage to the van that was vandalised will go some way to repair your club's good name.

Why would the group attack the driver who would be on the opposite side of the vehicle for spraying water on them?? They would go after the chaps in the back surely?

Somehow I sense the driver's account is probably omitting the part where he tried to squeeze the group left along the road somewhere after words had already happened. Doubt a 19 year student would have the gall to admit to the media he thought it clever to show the group where he believed they should be riding by squeezing them along that stretch whilst they were at pace, especially if he was egged on by his mates in the back...

Edited by Tubehunter

Thats your call. Remember that 30 odd thousand cyclists and 100 odd thousand spectators only saw the youtube clip and are not following the rest of this story. Unless we have a conviction of the criminals responsible by Friday and it makes the front page by Saturday, this won't change.

You can expect to be sworn at, spit at, maced, perhaps even have a wheel slammed into your face. Not because you deserve it, but because the public out there is still angry about the whole thing and by wearing that jersey they might think that you are condoning your club members' actions (we know you mean the opposide, but they don't).

In the peloton you should be prepared to have a very lonely ride as riders are sure to avoid you and if you are in any of the more competitive bunches they'll try to drop you at the first opportunity as they would not want to be associated with that jersey that you are wearing so proudly.

My advise to you and your fellow club members is to rather see if you cannot get something out there on your ride to spread a message of tolerance and goodwill to fellow road users. Try to be as visible as possible. A banner at the startline, perhaps have your club chairman apologise before the start of the elites on national TV, or even a fund raiser to cover the damage to the van that was vandalised will go some way to repair your club's good name.

This I like... The fact that an apology must be made. Not condoning what went down, but an apology would be a step in the right direction.

Since when should shouting at someone be cause for a Disciplinary

Agreed, if this was the case I along with many others will be in a disciplinary after every ride.

We should have the right to display our dissatisfaction somehow; had the entire group surrounded the van and shouted at its occupants without the violent behavior due to the acknowledged pelting of cyclists by its passengers, would we consider it justified?