Shocking incident between van driver and cyclists in Camps Bay

Surv0MTB

wannabe,DJR, this is not me being clever, nor attacking its a question, read .....only a question

what would you consider/be happy with for the attack on the driver what would be a fair form of justice??

Dips, all of us Cyclist's has been painted by the same wide brush because of this incident. (more so the one's that frequently use the roads in and around the City / Houtbay area). With this incident now viewed (rightly or wrongly so) to be swept under the carpet, motorist's will not be happy about it.

I feel a really good outcome would be for the CLUB to publicly decry the incident, and although the Law took it's course and an settlement was reached, they must hold some sort of "Community Service Action" that involves the culprits of this incident. It can be something that will favour cyclist's, some sort of awareness campaign that teaches both Cyclist's and Motorist that we have no option but to share the road. Get a lot of youngsters together, and using the roads most used by cyclist, teach the cyclist the best way to ride in groups, share the roads, adhere to LAWS, be courtious to other road users (yes, even pedestrians, they also get shafted by cyclist's) etc.

Make it public that this is the campaign they are running and what the desired outcome is. Quite sure this will have benefits for all, and the Club in question will now get some positive exposure.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dips, all of us Cyclist's has been painted by the same wide brush because of this incident. (more so the one's that frequently use the roads in and around the City / Houtbay area). With this incident now viewed (rightly or wrongly so) to be swept under the carpet, motorist's will not be happy about it.

I feel a really good outcome would be for the CLUB to publicly decry the incident, and although the Law took it's course and an settlement was reached, they must hold some sort of "Community Service Action" that involves the culprits of this incident. It can be something that will favour cyclist's, some sort of awareness campaign that teaches both Cyclist's and Motorist that we have no option but to share the road. Get a lot of youngsters together, and using the roads most used by cyclist, teach the cyclist the best way to ride in groups, share the roads, adhere to LAWS, be courtious to other road users (yes, even pedestrians, they also get shafted by cyclist's) etc.

Make it public that this is the campaign they are running and what the desired outcome is. Quite sure this will have benefits for all, and the Club in question will now get some positive exposure.

100% AGREE i wonder if anyone knows someone at cycling SA who can tell us if there are any actions that will be taken, and if pressure can be applied to the club, to try change how people feel about cyclists or we simply all targets for future incidents

If there are any motorists out there that have any any ill feelings or whatever towards cyclists due to this incident ...I will tell them to get life ...stop being a moaning b*tch and HTFU ....its over ..its been dealt with...we cyclists after all....not football players ....:)

wannabe,DJR, this is not me being clever, nor attacking its a question, read .....only a question

what would you consider/be happy with for the attack on the driver what would be a fair form of justice??

I think I am going to try answer this on a personal level.

What would I have wanted if I was innocent and a group of cyclists attacked me physically and pepper sprayed me, while the whole thing was filmed and broadcast for the world to see?

1. I personal apology from each one who participated, face to face, not a lawyers letter

2. A clearly publicised public apology, in the papers, on the internet and on TV, like the original incident was spread

3. Punishment for the guilty parties, likely in the form of community service of some kind. Perhaps relating to cycling safety, marshalling, pouring Coke at the Argus for 1 year before being allowed to ride it? Think creative punishment.

What would I not want?

4. For the culprits to remain anonymous for all practical purposes.

5. A nonsensical lawyers letter stating a rubbish apology

6. For the culprits to pay their way out of taking responsibility with money

7. For motorists to forever have those images in their heads without any attempt by the culprits to reverse the effect

Having said all that, we still don't know the TRUTH. It is also possible that the driver was not completely innocent and has to apologise himself. That should be public knowledge too, if it is the case.

Best all of you that feel this strongly goto the court/judge that decided this was justified and petition him/her/them to reconsider their actions as you feel that they have not done justice for you.... Best prepare to spend a few rand or a few nights in jail as judges do not take their judgments being mocked very lightly

I think I am going to try answer this on a personal level.

What would I have wanted if I was innocent and a group of cyclists attacked me physically and pepper sprayed me, while the whole thing was filmed and broadcast for the world to see?

1. I personal apology from each one who participated, face to face, not a lawyers letter

2. A clearly publicised public apology, in the papers, on the internet and on TV, like the original incident was spread

3. Punishment for the guilty parties, likely in the form of community service of some kind. Perhaps relating to cycling safety, marshalling, pouring Coke at the Argus for 1 year before being allowed to ride it? Think creative punishment.

What would I not want?

4. For the culprits to remain anonymous for all practical purposes.

5. A nonsensical lawyers letter stating a rubbish apology

6. For the culprits to pay their way out of taking responsibility with money

7. For motorists to forever have those images in their heads without any attempt by the culprits to reverse the effect

Having said all that, we still don't know the TRUTH. It is also possible that the driver was not completely innocent and has to apologise himself. That should be public knowledge too, if it is the case.

yip its a pity the driver accepted the cash and disappeared, a forward thinking cycling club would come up with a HUGE DRIVE to swing joe public opinion about this situation

And my 2c is that only a select few extremely narrow minded people will take out their frustrations on total strangers on bikes, they realise that not everyone is the same... Otherwise every motor cyclist would have been taken out years ago for lane splitting or general aggravation due to a select few that give all motor cyclists a bad name

Best all of you that feel this strongly goto the court/judge that decided this was justified and petition him/her/them to reconsider their actions as you feel that they have not done justice for you.... Best prepare to spend a few rand or a few nights in jail as judges do not take their judgments being mocked very lightly

HUH!!?? :wacko:

Don't think this ever came before a Judge. This was most probably dealt with by the Snr State Prosecutor and the respective Lawyers.Never saw the inside of a Courtroom.

I am not mocking anyone or anything.

I'm just saying that I feel the matter was resolved to suit those involved (the attackers, the driver and the prosecutor). It was not resolved to serve justice, the truth or the greater good. In my honest opinion, that is sad.

HUH!!?? :wacko:

Don't think this ever came before a Judge. This was most probably dealt with by the Snr State Prosecutor and the respective Lawyers.Never saw the inside of a Courtroom.

more likely sorted out on the steps leading up towards the court(as in most of these types of incidents)

and i dont recall any one mocking the JUDGE,,,just saying :whistling:

It would have to be signed off by a judge to make sure that it was not being swept under the rug or any bullying tactics were used by either side, ensuring that the resulting solution was fair and acceptable to/for both parties... If any of you think this would be made public you are living with rose coloured glasses... Part of the settlement would have been that the parties involved be left anonymous and no further action could be taken against them in this matter.

Tough truth, but it is what it is, you cannot and will not make any difference sitting on here complaining about what YOU want to happen... Go take some legal action yourself, waste court time, your money, your time, and see what the result will be... My guess would be NOTHING WILL CHANGE, realise that there are far more serious issues to be dealt with during court time than a petty assault case.

Lawyers sort these sorts of cases out daily(including bar brawls and other assault cases)

Much as we(the cycling community) would like more action against the club/individuals, the courts do not particularly care about anyone but the parties involved

Lawyers sort these sorts of cases out daily(including bar brawls and other assault cases)

Much as we(the cycling community) would like more action against the club/individuals, the courts do not particularly care about anyone but the parties involved

Agreed that the Courts / Law did their bit, no arguing that. (it was the easiest solution for them, no precious time / money wasted :whistling: ) Nothing they can do further, and neither is it required.

This is where the two Cycling Bodies and the CLUB in question need to get involved and be seen to tackle this problem that both cyclist's and motorists struggle with.

We do not know what really set this incident off, but that the cyclist's was caught in the act of attacking the motorist cannot be denied. This is all the motorist's care to remember.

The damage was done, and now all cyclist's are painted by the same wide brush (and if you deny this, you are lying to yourself), at least here in the WC where there is at times an severe overcrowding of the roads by both road users.

PPA and CSA (fat chance, I know) together with the Club in question must now be seen as proactive and try and use this situation to their advantage by doing something to educate both motorist's and cyclist's. If done properly, it can be done in one campaign.With the offending Club and the guilty riders involved, it can go a long way to redeem themselves to the broader public, motorist and cyclist both.

It would have to be signed off by a judge to make sure that it was not being swept under the rug or any bullying tactics were used by either side, ensuring that the resulting solution was fair and acceptable to/for both parties...

It is as simple as the prosecutor advising the Magistrate that the charges are withdrawn and requesting that the matter be removed from the roll. There would be no application of the juristic mind.

Edited by Blackbeard

Guest Saal Sakkie

Wow, a fine for assault. hectic.

So this means that everytime we (not involved cyclists / innocent) go out on the road we will be targets and seen as "Hooligans" because of this incident. And they get off with a fine.......

i agree, We should take a stand as a community.

Mr Admin, The Hub Members??? Petition time??