Momentum 94.7 Cycle Challenge 2014

GaryvdM

My first time doing this event and only my 4th race ever... Only been riding and training properly since May this year, seeded to start with A but dropped to B for the start and rode with the front group all the way to the Cedar road climb where it all got broken up as we caught a handful of the vets and A starters and I lost who was the main part of B group so cruised home from there to finish 2:43... not bad for a first time and only getting into the sport 6 months ago :eek:

Absolutely loved the event and the vibe along the roads was pretty neat to experience... Next goal Cape Town Cycle Tour in March :thumbup:

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I

Waiting in the start batch the guy next to me looks at his back wheel and its flat. We start changing and realize his tube valve is too short. Luckily I'm carrying 2 tubes, so we sort it out with seconds to spare. I think this actually helped my start because the adrenalin was already flowing..Lol.

Haha. I think the was my boss. He said he had that problem and was scheduled to start in A, and some guy helped him out as his tube did not fit his deep sections. You are a very cool oke. .... 

Big up to all charity riders. Especially those in super hot outfits. I did it in Group FF with a big pink clowns wig and i suffered like hell. Can only imagine what the rest of you were going through.

Starting from back there , it was pretty much a solo ride for me all the way. i think next year after al the construction is done things, especially traffic will go alot better.

Big up to all and to all those who got injured, heal up soon.

The MacDonald's Breakfast I stopped for at Gandhi Square hit the spot.

Saw some guys sitting there chowing down. Thought it was a brilliant idea.

I thought I could tuck into a bunch and do a good time on my first attemp.

No proper bunches, too splintered and okes didn't know how to ride as a bunch. I thought h group would know their stuff, but alas.

Next year will have to train properly and aim for a time better than this year's 3:15 solo tt

I started in a fish and chips group.

Some lady decided the night before it's a good idea to put a new stem on her bike, Carpet and muse;f stopped to help her and ended right at the back of our bunch.

That was where the trouble started for us.

Carpet also struggled, didn't seem to get her legs going and I waited a lot for her ,we lost many possible groups by the time we got to Woodmead, I would say at least 10-15 minutes gone and added to our overall time.

Halfway through the highway section I decided to say cheers (the writing was on the wall)

Up to there it was a solo ride from there it remained just that, chase a bunch, catch them and they fall apart, chase another bunch and same old story.

I rode fairly leisurely to the finish.

I had a bad stomach all of Saturday and Sunday morning and didn't feel up to riding myself broken.

The second lap started out another solo affair, I caught BigBen and them and had a brief chat , I also had a brief chat with him on the first lap (Thanks Biggie)

Coming off Joe Slovo I caught up with the SS booze cruise crew, we had a blast from there to Ghandi Square, I lost them at that water station as you come from the Nelson Mandela Bridge, from there I pedalled on my ace to the finish.

On the plus side ,I can now say chocolates in one of the official languages .

I saw a guy being loaded into an ambulance at the dip on Cedar, looked serious, hope he's OK.

I had a good, albeit long, day out and quite liked the new route. Me and a mate were riding in a yellow tutu for Ependy Angels and the suppourt was awesome. the amount of "nice job tutu" I heard helped me through some of the more painful sections.

Always a good day out. Same time next years!

Saw some guys sitting there chowing down. Thought it was a brilliant idea.

Yes, I did too (they weren't doing the event) but I really needed some sustenance (and coffee!), so I stopped off and decided to just enjoy the day, did a killah time of 4:44

Great weather, and what I really love about this event is that it brings people out and together, promoting a sense of community, which is really what happens at the great parks in cities around the world, here we been through times that makes people withdraw. Would be cool if somehow we could get more representative participation though, the entry price is a barrier to a lot of people.

Its also great that people made a day / street party of it, but please, please, watch the sound levels on your sound system. I rode past many screeching sound systems that had been turned up full taps, and were really sounding very bad, would it be a bit rude to stop and offer to help them tune their systems?

Cycled in from Dainfern with a couple of mates, all in later groups than me. Ended up right at the back of batch D. Luckily the climb out from the start worked in my favour and I latched onto the second group on the road.

Interesting tactics by some guys on the M1 thinking we were in the north of France, all over the road trying to force people into the gutter. Made for some fun.

My knee decided to give in 20km's from the end, so had a casual spin from there. Managed a 2:48 (PB), so I'm very chuffed.

The new route might be tougher, but I liked it a lot. Great day out, just love this race!

Just to get permission from my fellow hubbers, is it OK if I have a bit of a rant ?

Thought you just did that?  :lol:

Ag lekker man...did the mordor batch, for a grand time of 7:20. stopped lots for beers, pies, monster, tequila..and kakpraat.

Anton...your bike is but flippen nice hoor. 

Archived