Momentum 94.7 Cycle Challenge 2014

GaryvdM

Also made my group with 2 minutes to spare ,only because i parked next to the start by default .Horrific high speed crash by a single rider next to me down homestead .I saw the warning of " Uneven road surface "and reacted mtb style .He lost control of his front wheel and crashed at 60km/h at least with a crack as something broke when he went down .I rode swiftly and caughtiosley to the finish in 2h59"59 i think .I hope the rider is not to seriously hurt .Happend at about 8h30 .I found the route more difficult with a hot hill start and that last steyn city hill is a real smile wiper

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Parked my car in front of Diepsloot/N14 turnoff , it was still there when i got back ,  bonus.  Other than the traffic and a few punctures (because i had to cycle along that dodgy R511 section to the start, didn't the organizers know about the construction going on in front of diepsloot, resulting in the massive traffic jam there? ) it was an ok race . The hill at the end was nasty, but for some reason the N14 section in the past was much more mentally draining for me, probably because i could see the long stretches in the distance where this year it's all kinds of turns and can't quite see how much climbing there really is.

Edited by silvertemplar

I was ignorant enough to think the VD ballies will start a bit more sedate. Big mistake. I was staring at the wheel in front of me when, boom, the gap opened. It appears these manne are even more high strung than the laaities. Lesson learnt.

I made a statement earlier this week to say that Vets racing wasn't THAT hard.  Today they paid me back by dishing out plenty pain!!

A lot of guys made the racing hard today, and I wasn't one of them!!

I made a statement earlier this week to say that Vets racing wasn't THAT hard.  Today they paid me back by dishing out plenty pain!!

A lot of guys made the racing hard today, and I wasn't one of them!!

Averaging 32km/h to get well under 3h is both dangerous and hard .Respect ! Even if i could ride that fast i would hold back because of that speed is beyond my comfort zone

Parked my car in front of Diepsloot/N14 turnoff , it was still there when i got back ,  bonus.  Other than the traffic and a few punctures (because i had to cycle along that dodgy R511 section to the start, didn't the organizers know about the construction going on in front of diepsloot, resulting in the massive traffic jam there? ) it was an ok race . The hill at the end was nasty, but for some reason the N14 section in the past was much more mentally draining for me, probably because i could see the long stretches in the distance where this year it's all kinds of turns and can't quite see how much climbing there really is.

Definitely have to agree with you on the N14 part of previous years 

So here's a different story:

Racing VC, going over Joe Slovo with blood coming out of my eyeballs, we get a blue light brigade coming towards us, when we're barelling downhill.

Blue light in the middle.  We're on the right.  Luckily no VC guy goes through the windscreen.  We didn't get any warning: over the top, suddenly there's two cars screaming towards us.

White blue-light, jaguar behind.

I don't know if I'm angry, scared, or in disbelief.  I'm certainly not happy.

Racing VC, going over Joe Slovo with blood coming out of my eyeballs, we get a blue light brigade coming towards us, when we're barelling downhill.

Blue light in the middle.  We're on the right.  Luckily no VC guy goes through the windscreen.  We didn't get any warning: over the top, suddenly there's two cars screaming towards us.

YOU SHITTING ME (SHOCKED FACE !)

I had an interesting day. Overslept by an hour, then missed the A batch start time sitting in the N14 traffic. Landed up starting at the back of F and managed 2h52 with my nonexistent training. Disappointing after last years 2h26. :whistling:

Unbelievable.

Mind you, I shouldn't say that. Given the arrogance of these bastards, we shouldn't be surprised.

Made a big mistake thought the finish was just inside Steyn City and was putting in all my effort up Cedar road. That hill inside broke me much effort was needed just to get to the top. As for traffic no issues got of the N14 just after 5am traffic was flowing slowly but moving on the R511. To get out was not that bad either.

Had a great day :-)

Guessed the traffic would be a problem so arranged for us to be dropped off by my step-daughter. Drove north up the N14 and then stopped on the grass near the Sandton / Harties off ramp and kitted up. Three of us rode from there to the start with lots of others. All down hill and without issue.

I started in AA with my son who's over from the UK (I was seeded M) and my partner started in X. That gave her 25mins head start over us. Started front of AA and took it fairly steady until we rode past Kyalami - which is always nice and fast. Then steady again until the M1 where we tried to turn it up a bit. Caught "Wendy" just before Joe Slovo and checked she was ok then just kept going . . . Played "Frogger" with pedestrians when we went past Ponte but other than that, no issues. Love the decents past the Zoo and through Randburg. Road got a bit dicey in Bryanston (those guys obviously don't pay their rates!) but we stayed upright. My son binned me going up Witkoppen from Douglasdale (how rude!) and I didn't reel him back in until the big climb on Cedar - which I've driven many times but never ridden. Felt a bit like Suikerbossie :-) He dropped me again going through SC but I caught him on the hills before the finish. There were more hills than either of us expected and I just had a bit more in the tank. I commented that "no one was talking much" on those last climbs and got some laughs. People were suffering in silence . . .

We finished wheel to wheel in 3:32. Dad is very proud of his boy, and hopefully the boy is impressed with his old man!

Overall, the atmosphere was fantastic, as always. The new route was tough, but do-able. The roadside support was great. Organisation (traffic aside) was good.

Apologies to anyone I may have cut up - it would have been unintentional.

Good day out. Next biggie - Berg & Dale . . . . ., then the Argus :-)

My friends dropped me on Witkoppen, I then decided to just take it easy and enjoy, Kept the energy levels up nicely and caught up with the one friend in Steyn City (he was cramping), but I decided to just ride with him to the end. My time was about 5 minutes worse than last year, but for a change I was not stuffed on the last 20km.

Awesome day out, weather was great and the vibe of 94.7 is unbeatable. Only issue was a guy that swerved out as I was passing him, narrowly missed him and then he started swearing and ranting about how I need to watch out - Special creature that one.

I found the route more challenging than the previous one but managed to finish in 3:09 with 2 technical issues. One of which was my useless bladder. Parked at Leaping Frog without thinking about the climb back.

Had a mare. Started an hour late, but ok. Went great and bang on for my 3.5 hour goal all the way to Malibongwe where I started to throw up and lost my legs instantly. The last 14 k's of throwing up took me almost an hour and blew my goal out of the water. But was a lekker day out though.

Incredibly well supported and great ride as always.