Top cyclists knocked down by vehicle

janslabbert

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just dug out my bright flashing front and rear lights and I'm putting them on the road-bike for tomorrow mornings ride - nobody is going to say in court that he didn't see me! :cursing:

Now only?

I permanently have a 1000 lumen headlight on my handlebar and two rechargeable usb rear lights (around 80 lumen each) on my commuting bike.

So many times it is just a tad darker than we seem to realise or the mist catches you out or you ride just that 15 longer in the evening and this is when making yourself visible ... can be life saving.

That being said ... some blind drivers still dont notice a 1000 lumens flashing straight in their faces when approaching intersections. Either they cant see or the dont care! I have seen my own light fitted on another bike and it is a blinding experience!

Dont fool yourself by putting one of those R50 pieces of crap lights on your bike that no one can see even if you are standing right behind the bike.

Invest in you safety. There are way too many cyclist out on the roads early in the mornings or evenings without proper lighting.

My lights might not "look" all that cool but they are not there to make me look cool. They are there to make me visible.

Wish both riders a speedy recovery from their severe injuries, especially Jevandre.

Too many times drivers say that they did not see the cyclists. How do they look out when they drive? There is no excuse when cyclists are riding single file and in the shoulder of the road, irrespective of the speed they are going at. Motor vehicles overtake at speed without running into the car they are passing. Why hit a cyclists?

Maybe the law should take this negligence more serious.

As cyclists we just have to continue to be vigilant when out on the road. Irrespective of these accidents, we still have a place out on the road.

Fair enough Andy and Dale. Apologies Rapunzel, a personal attack was not intended and is uncalled for. I was heated up after reading the thread as I ride that route all the time and have always felt pretty safe within the confines of the yellow line.

Ride safe gents.

Cool, man.

Yeah, it's a very tough time.

5 cyclists were mowed down in Sydney this weekend - there is a big stir in Oz now too.

Now only?

I permanently have a 1000 lumen headlight on my handlebar and two rechargeable usb rear lights (around 80 lumen each) on my commuting bike.

Only took my lights off for the Argus, otherwise they stay on the bike for every commute or training ride.

From the Bonitas FB Page.

Positive step in the right direction.

"Jevandre has been off the ventilator & breathing on his own since 8AM. Some body movement. We're just waiting for those eyes to open."

Sterkte, young man...

From the Bonitas FB Page.

Positive step in the right direction.

"Jevandre has been off the ventilator & breathing on his own since 8AM. Some body movement. We're just waiting for those eyes to open."

Hierdie outjie is n fighter. Kooooom aaaaaan seuna!!

Just saw this. See below.

I rolled past the spot of the collision today... :-(

post-12015-0-30039400-1395172237_thumb.jpg

Edited by ' Dale

Just saw this. See below.

I rolled past the spot of the collision today... :-(

post-12015-0-30039400-1395172237_thumb.jpg

This is a young man that the sport firstly and the general community cannot afford to lose!

The case of taxi driver Njabulo Nyawose, accused of killing Burry, is due to take place today. Lets hope justice is served and a strong message is sent to all dangerous drivers out there. iride4burry

The case of taxi driver Njabulo Nyawose, accused of killing Burry, is due to take place today. Lets hope justice is served and a strong message is sent to all dangerous drivers out there. iride4burry

Only seeing the one news report from East Coast Radio and not that many tweets about the trial resuming in Port Shepstone today http://www.ecr.co.za/post/burry-stander-trial-resumes-today/

Would think ABSA Cape Epic, TREAD, Bicycling SA, Ride Magazine, Arrive Alive will be the 1st at least to mention something about the trial resuming today, I guess the Oscar Pistorius trial and the upcoming Cape Epic is more important. Different priorities, forget and move on, until the next incident and everyone is up in arms again.