Stumpjumper FSR vs PYGA oneten

Dawels

Wow, thanx for the replies! Makes it so much more difficult when everyone thinks both bikes are amazing.

My first choice would be the PYGA, however after doing some research and finding out that its an 'aggressive' XC bike with less travel than the stumpy then makes things complicated! But I'm a serious rookie.

Maybe it will help to add that what I'm keen for is to get jumping gap jumps and taking enduro trails to the maximum. Have always thought a mtb looks much sexier with flat pedals - is this just a riders preference? Or better for jumping etc?

In the end it comes down to what alu frame combined with the 'leftoves' for the build will give me a better complete bike to ride for a couple of years. Uphill and downhill.

Another thing is that once I've gained experience to then push harder, which bike would take it further? I'm guessing both bikes.

Evo sounds amazing but guessing it will be over 40k.

Staying up late at night dreaming of each bike doesn't help either!

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Dawels, as I said im in the same boat as you, being agonising over a stumpjumper and pyga, but sadly there's no stock of pyga xl till end of April. If you decide to go pyga my advice is to book a frame now. I've decided to buy a stumpjumper. Specialized do have stock on a stumpjumper enduro at 47k. Another option is Camber. Complete cyclery have a xl on there floor, good luck either way .I feel your pain

Wow, thanx for the replies! Makes it so much more difficult when everyone thinks both bikes are amazing.

My first choice would be the PYGA, however after doing some research and finding out that its an 'aggressive' XC bike with less travel than the stumpy then makes things complicated! But I'm a serious rookie.

Maybe it will help to add that what I'm keen for is to get jumping gap jumps and taking enduro trails to the maximum. Have always thought a mtb looks much sexier with flat pedals - is this just a riders preference? Or better for jumping etc?

In the end it comes down to what alu frame combined with the 'leftoves' for the build will give me a better complete bike to ride for a couple of years. Uphill and downhill.

Another thing is that once I've gained experience to then push harder, which bike would take it further? I'm guessing both bikes.

Evo sounds amazing but guessing it will be over 40k.

Staying up late at night dreaming of each bike doesn't help either!

Guys have been running 140mm forks on the front of their PYGAs and doing pretty well on Enduro events. But sounds like the PYGA 150 650B is the way to go for you.

My last bike was a Camber Pro. The Pyga makes it look pedestrian. Don't be fooledby the travel on the Pyga - it is more than ample, especially if you have the 140 upfront.

Tom

My last car was a Ferrari 458 italia, my new Ford Ranger makes it look pedestrian over sidewalks and pavements, and especially dirt roads.

Doesn't putting extra travel on over the specified numbers then change the whole geometry?

Johnny, your last comment was just plain stewpard..

Enlighten us, with such incredible knowledge, just how many different bikes have you owned/ridden in the last 20 years?

Exactly, dont make ridiculous statements. In 20 years, dunno, was playing rugby and cricket at school. Edited by Johny Bravo

Doesn't putting extra travel on over the specified numbers then change the whole geometry?

Not negatively in this case. Pat & Mark designed the OneTen to accept either a 120 or 140mm, with 140 of course slackening the head angle just enough to provide the extra stability needed for the kind of riding you're likely to do with a longer fork.

There was nothing ridiculous about his statement.

Why would you go from a R85000 bike with premium components to a R40000 bike. Camber has carbon rims, frame, handlebars etc etc, weight is much much less. How can it feel pedestrian. Seriously.

Why would you go from a R85000 bike with premium components to a R40000 bike. Camber has carbon rims, frame, handlebars etc etc, weight is much much less. How can it feel pedestrian. Seriously.

you'd have to ride something else to be able to tell...seriously

Only some of these would fit into your budget, and availability is always an issue, but here's a few other bikes in the category (120-140mm 29ers) that you're looking at...

* Ibis Ripley

* Yeti SB-95

* Niner WFO or RIP-9

* Cannondale Trigger

* Rocky Mountain Instinct

And you should probably try out some 650b bikes if you can find any to test ride, eg.

* Giant Trance

* Trek Remedy

* Ibis Mojo HDR

Don't knock the 650b boat just because you are tall. For the riding you plan to do a smaller wheelsize will probably feel bettter.

The pyga has been kicking ass in downhill races and enduro races lately, with the 140mm forks obviously. don't let the smaller travel fool you. a well sorted suspension design is better than a poor, but longer travel design. IMO the Pyga suspension is better. Don't let the spez marketing spend fool you. But you'd have to have ridden both bikes to understand.

Pyga don't manufacture the same volumes that spaz do in Taiwan, and giant etc for that matter. That is why a Ali pyga cost "carbon money." economies of scale.

Go ride both bikes, make an informed decision that has been bolstered with your own experience. People on a forum can only tell you what they themselves know or have read somewhere. We don't know everything, no matter how strong some people's opinions are.

Hi Dawels

I can't comment on the spez I too have a Pyga 110 and it is the most amazing bike Iv ever ridden. Read the comments on the Pyga page and other owners experiences and this may give you an Indication of what you too can expect.

Granted it may not be the lightest carbon vs alu etc,patric morewoods bikes are renowned for their suspensions and with the lower centre of gravity the 'extra' weight is least felt.

Good luck with your eventual decision, my only advice is rather wait for the bike you decide don't rush for what is easily available, you don't want any regrets.

Ok so my original post seems to have disappear.

Have a look/listen to the next.

and then there is a vid out there, last year, of Mark Hopkins gap jumping a gap, well this GAP was a dirt road, think it was a Dirt festival down in Cpt. just before the 650B got launched.

G