Just how stuffed is my drivetrain?

Rudi Pollard

Does anybody know which jockey wheels I need to get for a X0 derailleur. I also see that the truvativ replacements chainring sets are sold with the spider. Is it really necessary to get a new spider as well?

KCNC will work fine and not to spendy.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just get any jockey wheel.. don't think matters too much. I have a pic of my xo when I replaced it... Yours looks brand new compared to mine lol

Edited by Stretch

Now you see what I mean about my chainring when I replaced it.. if your chain is old then just ride it out.. You still have plenty miles... And slowly buy a new drivetrain over the next 3 or 4 months

post-7169-1395682279,6847.jpg

On a side note.. Any guesses which chainring gets the most use on my bike!

I got just under 4000km on my previous casette (replaced the chain once around 2000km). Replaced both these bits on Thursday before the ASG race. Discovered with a shock the the deraileur pulleys was stuffed (looked like the first pick), but the nice set of XT pulleys wasn't too expensive.

All in think I spent about R550 (helps to still run on cheap 8-speed).

Now you see what I mean about my chainring when I replaced it.. if your chain is old then just ride it out.. You still have plenty miles... And slowly buy a new drivetrain over the next 3 or 4 months

:eek: :eek:

All in think I spent about R550 (helps to still run on cheap 8-speed).

A kcnc pair is like r250

:eek: :eek:

But how's that! That is why I like SRAM. That was still working right up till that point of wear (I had made a decision to ride that drivetrain out)

If your chain is already beyond the "replace now or else" limit but everything is still running and shifting smoothly, I would ride it into the ground and once it starts giving slippages on some gears or shift poorly, replace the whole lot (chain, cassette and chainrings) at the same time.

Moet nou nie windgat raak nie ;-)

A kcnc pair is like r250

XT pair was R170 at cycle lab, Chain and cassette made up the rest of the R550. I do like the KCNC ones, bling!

Im doing sani in May month and wouldn't want to go there with an old stuffed up drivetrain...

Ride it till may.. Buy the cassette and chain now... and shop around for the front chain rings in the next two months (there are deals to be made out there on those)... and then assess just before sani. I reckon you have enough mileage in there to complete your training and do sani.

Ride it till may.. Buy the cassette and chain now... and shop around for the front chain rings in the next two months (there are deals to be made out there on those)... and then assess just before sani. I reckon you have enough mileage in there to complete your training and do sani.

Precisely what he said :thumbup: except I would put the new stuff on just before Sani.

Edited by DJR