How to prevent bum sores on multistage events??

Hi there,

I need advice. What can I do to prevent bum sores in multi stage events when riding a hard tail.

Just spoke to a mate who finished the epic on Hard tail and he is in pain and got no skin left on his bum.

I will be doing the Joberg2c and do not want to end up like him.

Lubrication, lubrication, lubrication.There's always time for lubrication!

Good quality chamois cream, Assos preride, and very good quality bib, chamois combo.Each day a new, clean dry bib.Only way to go.

Avoidance is near impossible.

Minimizing would be the strategy:

Shower before a ride

Base layer of Bennet's before chamois cream

Stand often when riding, giving the bum bum a break from the chafing

Keep undercarriage dry as often as possible, even baby powder helps, in between rides.

Wear shorts that allows for well-ventilated chassis during rides

Go commando whenever possible, when out of the saddle

Use anti-bacterial ointment after every ride, even if there are no issues

Avoid damp bib shorts, use a different bib shorts every day

Got saddle sores at j2c so here is what I would have done to prevent them...

Start now by treating the sitbone area on your bum with friar's balsam...not lots just dab a little on some cotton wool about the size of a 2 rand coin on each cheek. Ride the saddle your trained with...seems obvious but don't let last minute upgrades get to you on this. Take 5 different bibs...by different I mean chamois shape....don't take 5 pairs of the same make...they tend to chave on exactly the same spot. And then lastly...now this goes against what I said in my first line but anyway.... Take a spare saddle if you have one. Start with the one you trained on and if you develop saddle sores in the latter days you can do a swop. Attach this to a spare seat post...also a very handy spare that takes minimal space in your bag. This goes together with all the tips from above

Before ride,I use Fissan cream (lots of zinc) on sitbones, then apply Milking cream, and only use Assos for MTB Hardtail races/rides over 3 hrs.

Then, after ride, air well (shorts, no undies) the 'area' and keep it dry (even use talcum powder).

At night, apply Fissan again to sitbones to 'repair' sitbone area, even if not abrased.

I learnt this (the hard way ...) at Epic 2011 from the head nurse in the bum clinic, it has worked well for me.

Other than all the logical stuff like good hygiene and making sure you have a saddle that is comfortable for you..... etc

I sometimes get a pressure sore, hard little bump always on the same place and once its there it stays for days.....i found that slightly changing my saddle position i.e. instead of the saddle pointing dead straight move the nose of the saddle either a little left or right (very slightly) and even moving the saddle a mm or 2 forward and backwards. This helps to move the pressure away from the sore.

Go to Dis-chem and buy "Milking Cream" it's cheap and does the same if not better job than all these expensive chamois creams.

Use Quadriderm on sores it fixes them in a few days

All valid points - also check that your saddle is set at the correct height...and try to get out of your cycling shorts and into something dry as soon as you can, after the day's event.

Good shorts to start with, with real high density padding. I wore a hole in my arse with cheap shorts on a 40 km outing once. Never worn anything but the bets since. And use bibs, as they keep more out of your crack and stay in place better.

Then anything with lanolin and zinc in it pre an post ride as a cream. Plus some of that nice tingly minty stuff that numbs the area...

And yes check your setup and saddle height.

So much of sexy! Rapidly changing my mind about that desire for a cycling boyfriend. (also going to check out my own behind in the mirror to see what damage the weekend's riding might have caused)

So much of sexy! Rapidly changing my mind about that desire for a cycling boyfriend. (also going to check out my own behind in the mirror to see what damage the weekend's riding might have caused)

In the context of this thread, the word "tjommie" seems more appropriate than boyfriend. :ph34r: :offtopic:

Back on topic, I've found "bactroban" used together with Assos cream bullet proof until now. But admittedly never done anything longer than three days.

Get dettol wet ones wipes, clean all nicely before applying all the stuff mentioned above, and wipe afterwards if you cant shower immediately

We all finish the stage - then hang around rehydrating, chatting having beer etc. That adds a few hours of wet chamois time. Remove and dry ASAP. Then all of the above.