Cycle Science in Broadacres Sells Fake Pinarello

grey is the genuine product not imported through the 'official' channels, fake is like 'fong kong', product is made by another manufacture to resemble the genuine article.

Grey is the genuine item imported in parallel or bypassing the 'official' agent

Fake is an item that does not come from the manufacturer but built to look like the real thing, and labelled as such. Counterfiet.

Please elaborate

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its almost like finding out your new wife is actually a transexual. You hooked up in good faith, it looks and feels like the genuine article but isn't. While you were riding it you felt good :ph34r:, but now that you know it isn't the genuine article you don't have to be satisfied with it. :devil:

HAHAHA you killing me

So I phoned Cycle Science at 10am this morning and spoke to them to get them to respond - no response.

So is there someone else who will phone them before end of business today to see what they have to say???

(Dare you)

If people don't get it by now, I give up/.

maybe this is the confusion the LBS is counting on... passing off fakes as "greys". Am just going by the first post. OP said: "Their response, I knew it was a grey import."

not sure what backup ASG can give the OP aside from confirming its a fake as they surely will rather use this as an example to discourage people from purchasing through unofficial channels.

PS; some fake items ARE actually made in the same factory and sold into the fake market - why not utilize that market too.

I know this as fact from another hobby - also a hobby that charges arms and legs.

You could get a fake that could be as good as the original

Just saying (flame suite)

Goblin

Like buying Mavic wheels from CWC?

Exactly. They import directly from the supplier and choose to bypass the local distributor. It's still a mavic wheel. They just choose not to use the local distribution channel. It is therefore a grey import.

Exactly. They import directly from the supplier and choose to bypass the local distributor. It's still a mavic wheel. They just choose not to use the local distribution channel. It is therefore a grey import.

So there will be issues if you have a warranty claim?

First of all it is important to note that grey or parallel imports are not the same as counterfeit products. Counterfeit products are illegal in most countries including South Africa so it stands to reason that the importation of counterfeit products is illegal.

The biggest defining difference between grey imported products and counterfeit products is that grey imports are actually made by the manufacturer / trademark owner in question. They may have been made for distribution in a different market or imported from a third party supplier in a different country [not the registered distributor in South Africa] but they are never the less the real thing. In turn counterfeit products are a a blatant rip off, of the real thing.

Parallel imports are perfectly legal in South Africa, provided you follow certain guidelines. Sellers of grey products must disclose, to the consumer the following:

• They are not the manufactures or authorised distributor of the product.
  • They do not provide back up and after sales services on the products [this can off course be offered in house from the seller].
  • The licensed distributors of the products are not compelled to repair or honour any warranties on the products.

PS; some fake items ARE actually made in the same factory and sold into the fake market - why not utilize that market too.

I know this as fact from another hobby - also a hobby that charges arms and legs.

Goblin

Then you have a choice but in this instance the op was charged the full price and given a $500 frame.

Goblin

That's not the point though. A fake item made in the same factory as the original and passed off as something else is perfectly above board, as long as certain changes are made so that it is discernible from the original item, and it is not marketed as the original item.

If it is exactly the same, and made in the same factory with the same tools and same materials (all re same down to quality of materials and such) and marketed under a different name as a cheaper item than the original but still by the original parent company (ex makita vs maktec) then that's a problem.

However. When an item is manufactured with however many changes to the original item and labelled as the original, then we have a problem.

In this case we are dealing with scenario b. A blatant copy, with various structural and visual differences being marketed as the original item. Ie: fake.