Article in Tygerberger regarding Hooggekraal

Rapunzel

http://www.tygerburger.co.za/135166/news-details/bergfietsroetes-lewensgevaarlik

I'd first like to say that it is extremely distressing to have lost a fellow mountain biker and many of us have received a loud wake up call following Lee's death.

Our sport is an extreme sport and obstacles which are normally easy enough for most can become lethal with a bit of rain or too much speed.

The bridge in question is wide, well built and is visible from a fair distance. The trail has many other bridges and obstacles which could potentially be dangerous and I fear that we risk losing the trails or having them dumbed down if cycling clubs and land owners are at risk of being sued.

Would a trail grading system be sufficient to protect both cyclists and land owners?

Should signage be placed before each obstacle?

Would either of these measures have prevented the accidents which have taken place on the trails?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Signage at any obstacle can play a big roll especially if a rider doesn't know the track or route very well or hasn't ridden it before. I've fallen my poepol off over many years and most of the times have been when my perceived skill levels and my real skill levels just aren't on the same page :)

Riding within your limits is the key, if you're not comfortable riding something then take the chicken run (if there is one) or get off and walk through it.

In my opinion there is more than enough signage at Hoogekraal and can't say I saw any problem with the bridges there.

A very unfortunate accident that could of happened anywhere.

My heart goes out to his wife and son.

It saddens me to hear of this fellow cyclist's death, and my heart goes out to his family.

I do think however that this article was written a bit one sided. Mountainbiking in our (Tygerberg) hills is being portrayed as a very dangerous sport. Yes, there are challenging drop-offs, ruts, rocks, off-chamber turns and A-frames, but that's part of a MTB trail.

Personally I don't think putting a warning board at each of the above obstacles would lower the incidence of accidents.

You can not predict where Fate would strike.

Accidents Do happen.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not insensitive to this person or his family, but to blame Hoogekraal trail (or suggesting it) is unfair.

It saddens me to hear of this fellow cyclist's death, and my heart goes out to his family.

I do think however that this article was written a bit one sided. Mountainbiking in our (Tygerberg) hills is being portrayed as a very dangerous sport. Yes, there are challenging drop-offs, ruts, rocks, off-chamber turns and A-frames, but that's part of a MTB trail.

Personally I don't think putting a warning board at each of the above obstacles would lower the incidence of accidents.

You can not predict where Fate would strike.

Accidents Do happen.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not insensitive to this person or his family, but to blame Hoogekraal trail (or suggesting it) is unfair.

In agreement with you re the tone of the article (i.e. the "danger" aspect)

It's also 2.5 weeks after it happened.

In agreement with you re the tone of the article (i.e. the "danger" aspect)

It's also 2.5 weeks after it happened.

Utterly unable to read Afrikaans so I couldn't read the article but I do know that if there were signs at each obstacle I would spend a lot of time falling off/crashing into things while trying to look at them.

Maybe really detailed trail maps would help along with a clearly understood system for trail grading.

That and people not trying things beyond their level.

This was a rather unfortunate accident and my I feel terrible for the loss of life, but I don't think that you can blame any of the trail owners though.

Mountain biking is an extreme sport and with that comes certain risks and dangers, we all know this when we climb aboard our trusty steeds.

An accident can occur in even the most stupid of instances, I just hope that they don't set about trying to dumb down the trails because of this tragic incident.

I stand to be corrected but I think that a white memorial bike is being erected in remembrance of this rider at the bridge where the incident took place.

Truly tragic, and my thoughts and prayers go out to the family. But to blame the trail or the biking club is a bit OTT.

My family knows the risks involved in MTB, as it is so easy to blame something out there when an accident occurs. Riders should take responsibility for their own well being by walking obstacles that are beyond their cability. I do this without feeling any less of a biker than anyone else,out there.

If the bridge gave way as he rode over it that would be a different matter, but I doubt the trail,is as dangerous as this article makes it out to be.

Utterly unable to read Afrikaans so I couldn't read the article

Try using Google Chrome as a browser, it offered to translate the article. Lucky my Afrikaans is still ok.

Stupid article written by a poor journalist. I give her 3/10 for content, 6/10 for language and 1/10 for insight!

,,,,,,and during the same time, how many of our roadies were swiped off their bicycles and killed or maimed? Danger signs everywhere? Write about that too!

Definitely one-sided, emotive journalism for this community newspaper.

It is sad.

Getting real, as Rapunzel wrote, cycling is dangerous.

A track cyclist passed on recently.

And now the Hoogekraal incident.

And Jevondrè, from Bonitas, is still in his hospital bed weeks later, after being hit by a car on Polkadraai rd.

It's a risk cyclists take.

Ride In Peace

at which bridge did the accident happen? there are a few sketchy sections at Hoogekraal, but the bridges are not technical at all. anyone who mountainbikes knows the risks. this is just another newspaper looking to blow something out of proportion.

My condolences to the family and loved ones. This is a very tragic accident.

On a side note. Is the Tygerberg Mountain Bike Club trail maintained and managed in accordance with IMBA standards? Is the trail affiliated to IMBA (through AMA Rider)?

If the trails are graded and maintained in line with IMBA standards, then this is just a tragic ACCIDENT and the trail cannot be blamed.