2007 Epic - good buy?

Chris Hornby

Hi all,

I am looking for some advice on buying a bike. I do mainly weekend trail rides at an intermediate level, mainly single track, Karkloof, Howick and the like. I currently have an old Avalanche 26" hardtail which has served me well, but I would like a little more control and a bike I could upgrade a little.

Since I am doing Dusi2C this year the idea of a full susser appeals, but my budget is around R10k, which I KNOW is too little for the 29er Anthem I would love to get.

I was looking for a 29er or 650B hardtail when I came across an 2007 Epic 26" going for R8'000 ... XT components and shocks will be serviced.

Does anyone have experience of buying such an old bike - is it a viable option or am I just opening a black hole of expenses here?

Thanks ...

Chris

I was looking for a 29er or 650B hardtail when I came across an 2007 Epic 26" going for R8'000 ... XT components and shocks will be serviced.

Does anyone have experience of buying such an old bike - is it a viable option or am I just opening a black hole of expenses here?

Thanks ...

Chris

Does that model still have the brain and rear shock on the left side of the rear stay instead of in the centre of the frame?

I've got a 2004 Epic with that configuration and it is a beaut to ride.

What brakes does it have, hopefully discs? If so then it might be worth it

Hi all,

Welcome to thehub and see you at the Dusi2C this year.

PS have a look in the classifieds here on the Hub too

Edited by ScottC-M

Does that model still have the brain and rear shock on the left side of the rear stay instead of in the centre of the frame?

I've got a 2004 Epic with that configuration and it is a beaut to ride.

What brakes does it have, hopefully discs? If so then it might be worth it

Hey SwissVan,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes the brain is on the left outside the main frame - kind of close to the spokes of the back wheel.

It has hydraulic discs.

LBS is letting me try it this weekend in the Berg.

Has your 2004 model given any hassles? Need to see if I am in for new shocks etc any time soon.

Welcome to thehub and see you at the Dusi2C this year.

PS have a look in the classifieds here on the Hub too

Thanks. Yup I look here a lot hunting for the elusive L frame Anthem 29er .... :)

Hey SwissVan,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes the brain is on the left outside the main frame - kind of close to the spokes of the back wheel.

It has hydraulic discs.

LBS is letting me try it this weekend in the Berg.

Has your 2004 model given any hassles? Need to see if I am in for new shocks etc any time soon.

No problems at all.

But since 2010 I've been riding a Morewood Zula so it it does not get ridden much anymore.

If I win the lotto I'll upgrade the front shock, wheels and put on some good disc brakes (it still has V brakes).

I saw another one (with V brakes) the other day and it looked well ridden but still being used by its owner for mtbking

Nope. IMO it's too much for that bike, especially given its age. 6 years old now, and you can get far better deals second hand - even your 29er Anthem that you're looking at - which would be a better option IMO.

Have a look around on the classifieds here. You'll be able to get a LOT of bike for R 10k or so...

Nope. IMO it's too much for that bike, especially given its age. 6 years old now, and you can get far better deals second hand - even your 29er Anthem that you're looking at - which would be a better option IMO.

Have a look around on the classifieds here. You'll be able to get a LOT of bike for R 10k or so...

True, years do that to a bike. That's one of the reasons I have not sold mine, wont get much for it.

And I'm sentimental

But it could (the epic) be bargained down quite a lot from 8k to a more realistic value.

Must agree with the Captain here, it's a good bike for what it is and I still have mine and train on it occasionally but despite it being an S-works carbon with pretty good components there is no way I would expect to get that kind of money for it ...... Like Swiss that's also why I still keep it (and another sentimental reason .....)

Hi all,

I am looking for some advice on buying a bike. I do mainly weekend trail rides at an intermediate level, mainly single track, Karkloof, Howick and the like. I currently have an old Avalanche 26" hardtail which has served me well, but I would like a little more control and a bike I could upgrade a little.

Since I am doing Dusi2C this year the idea of a full susser appeals, but my budget is around R10k, which I KNOW is too little for the 29er Anthem I would love to get.

Thanks ...

Chris

If you really want a 29', then I would recommend against buying any 26' bike. The human brain is a funny thing and the last thing you want is post-purchase dissonance immediately after spending all your cash.

You'll regret the purchase and hold it against the bike (which is, of course, a wholly innocent party).

My 2c.

Too much. Will they negotiate? I went to my LBS (BMT Stellenbosch) last week to get a new tire (26"), they had only 1 (!) in stock - seems choices for our 26 brigade is fading... Keep that in mind.

I'm sure you'll still get everything online though, but it's nice having a beer at your LBS.

Too much. Will they negotiate? I went to my LBS (BMT Stellenbosch) last week to get a new tire (26"), they had only 1 (!) in stock - seems choices for our 26 brigade is fading... Keep that in mind.

I'm sure you'll still get everything online though, but it's nice having a beer at your LBS.

Only because distributors believe their own BS. Loads of 26" riders still around. We've just moved online for purchases.

MTB is a rough sport. The bikes take quite a hammering, and are not meant to last. That bike is too old for that price, and since you don't know its history, it may well be past its sell by date, and give you serious issues going forward.

Shop around, 29" bikes are great fun, so too the 650b. You should get good value on new or newish bikes for 8k.

If it's pristine or really mint R8k is not bad, if well used but good cond then to much.

Bonus on that bike is it's 9-speed so chains and cassette etc cheap as chips.

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Firstly, you get BEER at your LBS?? I think I need to upgrade my shop ... :)

Consensus is pretty much what my gut was telling me - if I want a full susser, then man up and buy one. Otherwise get a decent hardtail.

And yes, I would probably regret going 26" - not opening THAT debate, but purely at 6'2" a 29er will be a better fit, I think would be same fit as someone 5'8" riding a 26 ... Now 650B is an option like the Talon ...

Maybe I will try get a 29er to test this weekend instead.

Enjoy the long weekend, hope you all get time to ride.