• Zulu
    • Other

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

going on the poll stats as it stands you souties better watch out :ph34r:

I went to the only English school in a mining town with 7 large Afrikaans schools who still thought we were fighting the Boer War. I got eyes at the back of my head.

Honest Question....

Do the Afrikaans folks on the hub, find the Term "Dutchman" offensive?

Honest answer…

As an Afrikaanse ou I'm not offended by the term but I remain a wee bit sensitive about it. I always consider the real intention behind using potentially offensive names or assignations. Yeah, “Dutchman”, “Redneck”,”Soutie”, “Kakie”, “Engelsman”, “Boer”, “Rockspaaider” and even terms such as “vettie”, “blondie”, “dommie” etc. are frequently used in a harmless, jokingly and affectionate way and that’s cool. However, I think this is often the language of subtle (and sometimes inadvertent) bullying and that’s not cool.

On the other hand, my ouma was probably not bullying my oupa when she called him her “bokdrolletjie”… :whistling:

Honest answer…

As an Afrikaanse ou I'm not offended by the term but I remain a wee bit sensitive about it. I always consider the real intention behind using potentially offensive names or assignations. Yeah, “Dutchman”, “Redneck”,”Soutie”, “Kakie”, “Engelsman”, “Boer”, “Rockspaaider” and even terms such as “vettie”, “blondie”, “dommie” etc. are frequently used in a harmless, jokingly and affectionate way and that’s cool. However, I think this is often the language of subtle (and sometimes inadvertent) bullying and that’s not cool.

On the other hand, my ouma was probably not bullying my oupa when she called him her “bokdrolletjie”… :whistling:

gotta say always loved the rock-spider.

Edited by VicanZA

Proud to be Afrikaans.

I am fluent in English and k@k.

I do not get offended when someone I know calls me a dutchman. But you do get the odd idiot that would call or refer to afrikaans men as dutchman. Gareth Cliff comes to mind.

I have plenty english and just as many afrikaans mates.

The only thing that I dont quite understand, and its been mentioned here before. Why do the english mock the "boere" for wearing khaki. It was there choice of colour afterall.

When I lived in 'stralia it was quite irritating when every expat Kugel tried to speak Afrikaans with me to show how South-African they are. Most of them never spoke a word of Afrikaans while they lived in South-Africa.

It is one of my biggest regrets that after growing up in South-Africa I can only speak Afrikaans and English. I should have picked up more. Whenever I visit Europe (especially Switzerland) I am struck by how many languages the average person on the street can speak.

Yeah true. . Though I never really learnt Italian and my dad was from Italy.. I can pick up some of it, but only if someone speaks slooowly.. my kids take French lessons.. rather cute.

So, my Mother is half Irish, half Dutch (as in Hollands) and my Dad was Canadian with a Scottish Grandfather. My wife is Afrikaans but her Oupa was German. What does that make my kids? Flip, I'm already a pavement special, they must be really rare!!

So, my Mother is half Irish, half Dutch (as in Hollands) and my Dad was Canadian with a Scottish Grandfather. My wife is Afrikaans but her Oupa was German. What does that make my kids? Flip, I'm already a pavement special, they must be really rare!!

So many of us saffas are mixed breeds.

My mother's great grandparents (both sides) were from Ireland. My dad from Italy, my husbands father from the UK, his grandfather on the other side from Aus.. so ja.. die arme kinders.

Nee kyk, ek kan voorwaar se ek is van hier af, al my familie ook, maar vanwaar al hulle familie afkom is ek nie seker nie.

as mens nou veeeeeer terug gaan, dan is ek 50% brit en 50% hollander. dank vader eks 100% Afrikaans!

Edited by antonj

"Wie weet wat ń konsestorie is "

google doesn't know what a konsestorie is and i'm scared I might be faced with a disciplinary if i ask my afrikaans colleagues.

google doesn't know what a konsestorie is and i'm scared I might be faced with a disciplinary if i ask my afrikaans colleagues.

Actually waar die dominee bly/operate, but, you can also like ask wat die konsestorie is wat jou kar gestamp het! :whistling:

Konsestorie.. isn't that where the dominee and his gang go to drink the wine before the service.

Actually waar die dominee bly/operate, but, you can also like ask wat die konsestorie is wat jou kar gestamp het! :whistling:

Naha that's a pastorie

but what's it in english? conservatory?

i get the dodgy part ... :blush: