Tokai riding experience 7/5/14 - funny/dangerous observations

Headshot

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Get there early!

I was there at 6h30 AM, and i got opposing traffic while descending.. Bt ya, good to see so many people getting involved in the sport.

Edited by TAAHIRWP

Get there early!

Agreed - its all about fun and I certainly had a tonne of that. The other solution is of course to pick your times - later in the afternoon is always less crowded.

The crash I referred to happened despite repeated, loud verbal warnings by the descending rider.

On the skills issue, I am sure that a few people would be happy to give a skills course for 30 mins in the car park or just beyond. Nothing serious, just braking, awareness and some basic riding skills. A course could be devised beforehand to cover the essentials.

Early doesn't work, unless its like 5:00am. Best time to ride for me is 14:00. I leave home at 13:30, when my boy has his afternoon nap, and arrive at Tokai just before 14:00 normally. Normally just me and a couple of crazy DH guys there on a quiet day. On a busy day you might see about 10 people, mostly regulars. On hot days it's a bit rough cos of the heat, but it makes the cool rides much easier.

I will never take a newbie to Tokai. I actually think that Tokai is dangerous if you clueless and have no skills to start off with (many of us had BMX's and tried silly things and we actually have inherent skills). I see many newbies pushing their bikes up (not DH bikes,), out of breath. I saw many stopping on ST as well. Of course we want newbies, we want more to love the great outdoors. But my advice to Newbie's is go to Koeberg Nature Reserve first, then try Meerendal a couple of times and then do Tokai, Jonkers or what ever you want to. I know many of us Tokai was our first experience and we survived. I will never advise a newbie to go to Tokai first.

Some are naturals, for the rest take it easy first

Edited by Oufy MTB

I will never take a newbie to Tokai. I actually think that Tokai is dangerous if you clueless and have no skills to start off with (many of us had BMX's and tried silly things and we actually have inherent skills). I see many newbies pushing their bikes up (not DH bikes,), out of breath. I saw many stopping on ST as well. Of course we want newbies, we want more to love the great outdoors. But my advice to Newbie's is go to Koeberg Nature Reserve first, then try Meerendal a couple of times and then do Tokai, Jonkers or what ever you want to. I know many of us Tokai was our first experience and we survived. I will never advise a newbie to go to Tokai first.

Some are naturals, for the rest take it easy first

I always play nwoob at Tokai. Then i have excuse when i bail!

Hope thats not me.... :oops: i ride with headphones, but nothing plays... its actually only if i get a phone call then i don have to take my phone outv my backpack. :ph34r:

i need at least 5 phone calls to show me it's urgent before i'll take one on a ride (you a doctor or something?).

I once rode Meerendal and there was a noob chick wearing a jean pant (boerewors curtain)!!! I almost stopped to take a pic. It was one of those crazy moments, you know like when people pull out an ipad to take a pic meanwhile the camera on their phone is way better.

Edited by FatBoySlim1

Hope thats not me.... :oops: i ride with headphones, but nothing plays... its actually only if i get a phone call then i don have to take my phone outv my backpack. :ph34r:

naa i know there no jams playing bru

Yesterday morning I advised someone that did not look like a beginner who was coming right up the top of vasbyt, slowly around that first berm. Luckily I was one of those that stopped at the beginning of the trail and did not just rail it down around that there else I would have gone straight through him as there is no where to dodge.

When I told him about it he puled the earphones out of his ears and said he didn't know. I told him there's a sign at the bottom showing no cycling up and his defense was that it wasn't pointed in his direction.

Vasbyt is bi-directional, are you maybe thinking of the start of DH3?

My preferred response to the above offense is to say (loudly): "Don't mention it. Oh wait, you didn't" The 2nd option is of course to allow the other guy to visit the bushes.

The only problem with option two there is that at some point one of them might end up visiting the bushes tangled up with you.

It is annoying though when you make way for someone and all you get is the 1000 yard stare.

Early doesn't work, unless its like 5:00am. Best time to ride for me is 14:00. I leave home at 13:30, when my boy has his afternoon nap, and arrive at Tokai just before 14:00 normally. Normally just me and a couple of crazy DH guys there on a quiet day. On a busy day you might see about 10 people, mostly regulars. On hot days it's a bit rough cos of the heat, but it makes the cool rides much easier.

Mid afternoon is my favourite time there, just so many less bodies around.

And I am absolutely the last person that will ever be called a "morning person" which helps.

On the theme of the rest of the thread I saw a couple I assume (from the terrified expression on the female halfs face) descending Vasbyt very slowly a couple of weeks back. No helmets...

Edited by marko35s

Vasbyt is bi-directional, are you maybe thinking of the start of DH3?

Right at the top, maybe that is DH3, not sure. When coming up form vasbyt you have the choice of going left onto the road or right through the forest. He decided to go straight ahead up that rough section (not sure how). This might help, although this is so out of context it may look like a hundred other places:

post-38097-0-81820600-1399621412_thumb.jpg

Edited by faanie

Right at the top, maybe that is DH3, not sure. When coming up form vasbyt you have the choice of going left onto the road or right through the forest. He decided to go straight ahead up that rough section (not sure how). This might help, although this is so out of context it may look like a hundred other places:

I stand to be corrected here (but the wife isnt around so I may just get away with having an opinion of my own :lol: ) at the top of Vasbyt you have three choices 1. Go right through the trees joining the top of Bluegum (the fun route). 2. Turn left and on to the jeep track (the dull route). 3. Go straight up (the "Im suicidal and determined to take somebody with me" route).