Locally manufactured bikes and components

Stephen83

Would you support locally manufactured bikes and components ?

Frames , Pedals , crank sets, bottom brackets and brakes.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Certainly, I have seen how small factories start up. They start turning out hubs, wheels, BB's or frames.

Problem is, that as soon as the brand is established. Most will move to China or South East Asia for OEM....... cheaper and less hassle.

have you tried www.quickrock.net it is almost like Koos King just better.

Interesting, first time I've heard of Quick Rock. Do you use their BBs?

Currently have 3X morewoods and I love them. (have had 5 in total).

But when one says "locally manufactured are they referring to made in SA or just a company based in SA?

Because the likes of Momsen, Contraband, and some of the Morewoods are made in the far east.

There are not many SA manufactured bikes or components.

Currently have 3X morewoods and I love them. (have had 5 in total).

But when one says "locally manufactured are they referring to made in SA or just a company based in SA?

Because the likes of Momsen, Contraband, and some of the Morewoods are made in the far east.

There are not many SA manufactured bikes or components.

My Shova was made in PMB by Patrick, but I know that's pretty rare. And old. Most of the new stuff's made offshore - especially anything hydroformed or carbon.

have you tried www.quickrock.net it is almost like Koos King just better.

So i guess you are Stephen from quickrock? Please tell us a bit more about the bb's, if its not using bearings what does it use? And how does it work. Prices etc.

I was under the impression that contraband were made here? Is that wrong?

https://www.facebook.com/#!/contrabandbikes

They are locally designed, but due to tooling costs, the manufacture is outsourced to bicycle factories the east. I know one of the brains behind it went over to inspect the factories and quality. Most bikes are made in the east, so don't let that put you off.

My Shova was made in PMB by Patrick, but I know that's pretty rare. And old. Most of the new stuff's made offshore - especially anything hydroformed or carbon.

I have a Makulu which has custom built geometry, and an Ndiza which too was hand made in PMB. The last is a Sukuma, which is one of the offshore models.

Edited by patches

I have played with a similar material before and it is widely used in the mining industry due to its self lubricating properties.

Very easy to machine but rather pricey and can be heavy.

Stephen - I se you guys are out in Kempton.

Just give us an idea of weight and price. Guess we can do Hub and suspension bearings then too?

Unfortunately locally manufactured often means more expensive. Economies of scale, boutique branding etc... seems to push the price up. Then there is the all to frequent poor south african service.

IMO its just so much easier, cheeper and more dependable to buy mass produced components online.