Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

There's a 749 too - to go with the 999.  Now those are rare, purely because no-one bought them so there are very few around so by default are very collectible.

I've been lucky enough to have both a 748 and a 916 in my garage at different times - not owned, but facilitated for my brothers who bought them.  So I a have ridden them both.  The 748 I felt was a bit like my old 350 YPVS - not a lot of low down but when you revved it it really took off - and then it was quick - enough to get you into serious trouble if you were not concentrating.  So it was a real pain in town - rev it like crazy to avoid stalling at the robot and then climb on the brakes quickly before you hit the car in front of you.  The 916 was a lot easier to ride slowly but it was also really scary if you gave it a handful.  The build quality on both of them wasn't great either hey - the panels fitted like those fiberglass race fairings we used to fit on our R1 and R6 race bikes, except these were the OEM ones!  Most of the time I had them was spent letting them idle in the garage - because both had full Termignoni pipes and combined with the clutch rattle just sounded brilliant.  They were lovely to look at and super exotic but I didn't really feel too much sadness when my brothers collected them.  I guess different strokes, but I'm also of the opinion that owning a 90's classic should also not be a PITA so I would probably go with a Jap - SP1/2 '98 R1, ZXR750 - all fairly extreme, but a bit more accommodating.

I almost bought a 749S, single seat, carbon fairings, Ohlins, etc. Guy was very iffy when I asked why the clutch had very little play, oil filter leaking, etc.....

Bloody hell but the test drive almost had me buying it but my mind won out. They can be a nightmare if they break!!!!

I bought my Tiger 800 and man I loved that bike but those 2 are probably as far apart as you can get so what would I know.........,

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I may have mentioned this before, but a mate of mine has a mint condition 916.

Almost no KM

Full arrow kit (I believe it was transitional from termignoni and back) I dunno.

Man I lust after that bike. It just sits in his studio. On display!

cf018f1903fbac6c9a80f7d3b2c222b7.jpg

A piece of art.

My husband's dream bike when we met was the 916 Senna... I actually bought him a scale model for our second Christmas together.[emoji1787]

Ah the days when we would hop on the vmax and dissappear for a weekend..the days before kids[emoji1787][emoji1787]

Edited by Gen

Been watching a few of this guys videos.  He's a genius.  Just don't try it at home - much like a Haynes Manual, his descriptions make it sound way too easy.

Sounds like old man Bristol and his Kawa's, plus the Pinetown guy with the ex Kenny Roberts 2 strokes. Amazing.

A piece of art.

My husband's dream bike when we met was the 916 Senna... I actually bought him a scale model for our second Christmas together.[emoji1787]

Ah the days when we would hop on the vmax and dissappear for a weekend..the days before kids[emoji1787][emoji1787]

Take me back, pleeeease!

Take me back, pleeeease!

LOL that was the only thing we stopped after the kids were born... we didn't have a support system for babysitting at the time[emoji25]

LOL that was the only thing we stopped after the kids were born... we didn't have a support system for babysitting at the time[emoji25]

Ahhhhhh, but they do grow up and leave home............eventually! My wife loves our day jaunts on the big KTM, well before Lockdown anyways.

In one of the Grand Designs episodes a guy mounted his Ducati on the wall of his lounge

78131050bdc44daa4b11fa43592098b3.jpg

That's cool

My daughter and her partner have a bike mounted on the wall of their entertainment room

I enjoyed the bike a lot. It was very shabby when I bought it but with a little effort it became a pleasure to use on the trails around Benoni...............until trying to kick start on the side a steep hill, or anywhere for that matter! I could set it up to kick and it would laugh at me at many attempts until suddenly bursting in to life! Am sorry I sold it though.

I owned one as well, but the decompression lever didn't work at all, it took me some time to get to know how to start it without the decompression, but when I got the hang of it, it was quite easy. Just pushed the kick starter down till it became hard and then I had to go through with the kick otherwise I had a bleeding shin bone or twisted ankle.

In one of the Grand Designs episodes a guy mounted his Ducati on the wall of his lounge

78131050bdc44daa4b11fa43592098b3.jpg

Bliksem! Must have used some big Hilti nails.

Edited by Lotus

That's cool

My daughter and her partner have a bike mounted on the wall of their entertainment room

A guy I knew used to race super singles at national level. When he was too broken to continue, he took his race bike and parked it in his lounge as a display piece. Was very cool.

A guy I knew used to race super singles at national level. When he was too broken to continue, he took his race bike and parked it in his lounge as a display piece. Was very cool.

If I dared parking one of my bikes in our lounge I would  still be in self-isolation long after the Virus has left our shores

A piece of art.

My wife use to go everywhere with me on the bike aswell, until we had our boy. About a year after his birth we decided to take a break from motorcycling.

But only for about six years and I couldn't anymore. Started riding again and even got my boy on his own bike.

My wife kinda lost interest though, she's only been on the bike with me twice in the past two years. My son is my "riding buddy now.bb1c9f04bfc7dbb95887fd22589021e7.jpg4c7d8a4a9a77a2fe0c0ee1f63c7098b0.jpga171e916cf859a3a6e01419e5125ca2b.jpg6282e5cbd80e0c2f23b6c86fe3c378df.jpg

Saw this ad on Facebook. I had one like this. 9156198041b486dc2be150234f261357.jpg

Ek het nog nooit die XT500 gery nie, maar n pel van my het op n tyd n XT550 gehad, hy was net so bliksem om aan die brand te skop soos my DR600.