Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

I'm trying to find pics online but our Nazi IT overlords have blocked every site that  has reported on this, but local Bike dealer, Bike King Suzuki burnt to the ground over the weekend. Entire place is gutted, they had plenty bikes in stock, all gone.

Not a pretty sight.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Couple of mil in damages. Bike Kings and Bike Shop both wiped out! 

Sad and shocked. 

3 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

2024 R1300GS Trophy with Enduro pack and sport suspension. 
Absolute hoot offroad. Freaking torque monster. This thing wants to turn the earth. 

Congrats. Been hearing good things about the 1300. 

6 hours ago, Hairy said:

A quick LED build upgrade via KTM Species (Previously called BSR Motorsports) and one can actually see where you are going in the dark now.

Popped in a new Motobatt battery from Flying Brick (Best pricing after calling around, and that is their on the floor price, not a price you have to ask for "discount for")

KTM species found the idle throttle cable that was lodges somewhere odd behind a fairing, this has the idle up to spec, and she no longer cuts out if not hot hot hot at a stop street or traffic light.

They also isolated an air leak in the air box, and sorted that out.

All in their service and pricing was rather pretty damned decent.

Next up on the list is to replace the starter motor clutch and the stator cover (hairline crack to the casing) ... will do a JB weld solution over the crack till I get both of these items sorted by KTM Species.

image.jpeg.c6e81b49a751f9d4574c60dae3230bed.jpeg

Is the rotation direction right on the front tyre?  

15 hours ago, Stretched@Birth said:

Is the rotation direction right on the front tyre?  

Yebo yes, and you are not the first person to ask ;)

Metzeler Karoo 3 on Transalp

metzeler-karoo-3-tires-before.jpg

Edited by Hairy

I am starting to think that the previous owner was not fully aware of what he got when he took the bike, and therefore did not convey this again when I purchased the bike from him.

The previous owner only did just over 400km since owning the bike, this was cross checked by seeing that the owner prior to him again serviced the bike in Dec 2003, and the taking this mileage as the meterage of distance covered.

The bike came with supposedly spare spark plugs. I opened the boxes this evening when going through the contents of the soft bags. The spark plugs are old used plugs.

The bags are not complete and pretty blah.

"Mini jumper leads", the jaws fell apart on the first time it was needed.

Then we can look to the mechanical aspects of the bike.

1. The bikes idle was way down and caused the bike to cut out at stops if you do not use the choke to advance and run the revs higher.

2. The idle adjust knob looked to be missing, this was found tucked up and away when I sent the bike to a workshop to have them fit a new adjustment knob.

3. When the bike was at the workshop they identified the cause of the leak, a leak that was first just "excess chain lube" when looking at the time of purchase, this leak is a cracked stator cover.

4.  Workshop identified the starter clutch as being on the way out. This in turn needs more ooompfff from the battery to start, and it the clutch does not works straight away, you need more from the battery ... and then after a few fails you end up with a flat batter and need to $#%^^ jump start the bike. 

5. Before knowing about he starter clutch, I thought the ex. battery was toast as the bike was mostly parked the last few months. I was wrong, but at least I have a new Motobatt battery in the bike now, so have long term peach of mind RE the battery now.

She is going to have to go back into the workshop for a new stator cover with gasket, and the starter clutch assembly, this will be another lump of cash just short of R8K that needs to be "added to the purchase price" along with the other R5K dropped onto the bike already.

Looks like this will be the same exercise as per what I went through with the Harley when I got her, at least I know on the Harley I can ride anywhere without ever doubting that she will not make it there and back.

Rant over.

Will get the old girl sorted out and running well to a level where I can trust her ... and she is fun to ride, so the effort will be worth it.

So. Left home early Saturday. This GSA eats the miles.  Clutch cable gave up the ghost 700 miles from home. BMW on call came to recover me near John o groats. Hopefully they can fix it today or else they give me a car. 

IMG_9764.jpeg

IMG_9779.jpeg

On 6/28/2024 at 10:46 PM, Hairy said:

I am starting to think that the previous owner was not fully aware of what he got when he took the bike, and therefore did not convey this again when I purchased the bike from him.

The previous owner only did just over 400km since owning the bike, this was cross checked by seeing that the owner prior to him again serviced the bike in Dec 2003, and the taking this mileage as the meterage of distance covered.

The bike came with supposedly spare spark plugs. I opened the boxes this evening when going through the contents of the soft bags. The spark plugs are old used plugs.

The bags are not complete and pretty blah.

"Mini jumper leads", the jaws fell apart on the first time it was needed.

Then we can look to the mechanical aspects of the bike.

1. The bikes idle was way down and caused the bike to cut out at stops if you do not use the choke to advance and run the revs higher.

2. The idle adjust knob looked to be missing, this was found tucked up and away when I sent the bike to a workshop to have them fit a new adjustment knob.

3. When the bike was at the workshop they identified the cause of the leak, a leak that was first just "excess chain lube" when looking at the time of purchase, this leak is a cracked stator cover.

4.  Workshop identified the starter clutch as being on the way out. This in turn needs more ooompfff from the battery to start, and it the clutch does not works straight away, you need more from the battery ... and then after a few fails you end up with a flat batter and need to $#%^^ jump start the bike. 

5. Before knowing about he starter clutch, I thought the ex. battery was toast as the bike was mostly parked the last few months. I was wrong, but at least I have a new Motobatt battery in the bike now, so have long term peach of mind RE the battery now.

She is going to have to go back into the workshop for a new stator cover with gasket, and the starter clutch assembly, this will be another lump of cash just short of R8K that needs to be "added to the purchase price" along with the other R5K dropped onto the bike already.

Looks like this will be the same exercise as per what I went through with the Harley when I got her, at least I know on the Harley I can ride anywhere without ever doubting that she will not make it there and back.

Rant over.

Will get the old girl sorted out and running well to a level where I can trust her ... and she is fun to ride, so the effort will be worth it.

I think these days one is very lucky if they get a used bike without issues.  I think once it is sorted though you will really enjoy it.  And I know with my XTZ - fixing all the niggles was actually quite enjoyable - apart from the costs of course!

I've been a bit quiet - my Dad was diagnosed with Stage 4 Brain cancer so we were going through what bikes to keep and what to let go - all the pre-DJ bikes have gone to good homes and a lot of the spares too.  I also got rid of my little 125LC as that was really for my Dad to ride - quite sad, but it has gone to a good home in CT.

There was one last bike that my Dad and I were going to build together - sadly he won't be around to see me finish it, but I'll post some pics of the progress here as we start it!

On 6/28/2024 at 10:46 PM, Hairy said:

"....but at least I have a new Motobatt battery in the bike now, so have long term peach of mind RE the battery now...."

..peach of mind... I always felt it was PEACE of mind, but I LIKE your way of describing it - just PEACHY! 😉

Sorry to hear of the cr@p you had, but sounds like you have it WELL sorted now, so enjoy your ride!

Chris

4 minutes ago, Zebra said:

..peach of mind... I always felt it was PEACE of mind, but I LIKE your way of describing it - just PEACHY! 😉

Sorry to hear of the cr@p you had, but sounds like you have it WELL sorted now, so enjoy your ride!

Chris

Have not taken the bike to BSR Motorsports ... sorry KTM Species, as yet. Will do so in the near future. Work and life getting in the way, and I have the Harley to roll around on in the interim.

Best move ever having two bikes .... it means you can take your time sorting out the other one if it has issues or needs regular maintenance.

Three bikes, with the third being a beater bike may be a better idea though, to save mileage on the other two ... let me start explaining this to the wife so long 😭

5 hours ago, Hairy said:

Have not taken the bike to BSR Motorsports ... sorry KTM Species, as yet. Will do so in the near future. Work and life getting in the way, and I have the Harley to roll around on in the interim.

Best move ever having two bikes .... it means you can take your time sorting out the other one if it has issues or needs regular maintenance.

Three bikes, with the third being a beater bike may be a better idea though, to save mileage on the other two ... let me start explaining this to the wife so long 😭

N + 1 Hairy, that is how it is……….. N being 15 for me…….3 not useable, waiting in line for rebuilding…..To be honest it is proving a little difficult to keep them all happy! Sorry that your Katoom has had some issues but once sorted I think you will have a fine machine there. I do fancy one in my garage!

I have been home for a bit. Had a few cool rides. I took the Chunky Munich Bier Fraulein for a trip over Outeniqua Pass and enjoyed many rides on the Big Katoom. Yam T7 had a grand day to Swartberg Pass yesterday.IMG_1088.jpeg.e5b347fc584340f6925ef9df22ba0f62.jpegIMG_1085.jpeg.ef38fe19cb1af340f8fa516e489dd498.jpegIMG_1082.jpeg.c2216effea8c0d9fcb2fb440e716e6ea.jpegIMG_1081.jpeg.b0d946e77e8f4d1090bcef566cd9394c.jpegIMG_1087.jpeg.fdcd7fc851f0c806d7e01793e274e069.jpeg

IMG_1086.jpeg

IMG_1084.jpeg

On 7/1/2024 at 8:59 AM, Andymann said:

I've been a bit quiet - my Dad was diagnosed with Stage 4 Brain cancer so we were going through what bikes to keep and what to let go - all the pre-DJ bikes have gone to good homes and a lot of the spares too.  I also got rid of my little 125LC as that was really for my Dad to ride - quite sad, but it has gone to a good home in CT.

There was one last bike that my Dad and I were going to build together - sadly he won't be around to see me finish it, but I'll post some pics of the progress here as we start it!

I had all good intentions of taking some pics last night but got a bit sidetracked looking into all the boxes.  My Dad numbered all the boxes and put a detailed description of what was in each box but of course the first one I opened had nothing in apart from a small note saying gearbox in the paint cupboard..... may years ago I used to spray paint and we had a 50's mellamine kitchen cupboard in the Garage which we used to refer to as the paint cupboard.  The paint cupboard was repurposed to hold random bike parts but sure as anything, there was the gearbox all wrapped up.

Now I need to find the Crankcases, barrels and head.....

And now that I think about it, that 50's Mellamine cupboard is probably worth more than the bike.....