Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So being clueless about motorbikes, is this cool, yay or nay?

I was behind 3 of those things at the lights and rode behind them for a bit until my ears couldn't take any more. Not at all cool, I say.

Wow that's a lot of stuff!! That road book holder for the 640 was an aftermarket item to hold an actual road book but guys use it to attach GPS and phone mounts. Bit easier buying one than hashng together a Pooratech mount from leftovers I suppose. My journey was always going to be budget adventure. Doubt I'll ever swing my leg over a new 1090...

Thanks Grebel; ja I've started such a mount a few times but something else gets in the way so I fall back on a handlebar mount for my vintage 276. Current "get in the ways" is the ignition switch has fried itself and previously was the water pump but getting there.

The new 500 KTM/Husky's are good bait but I'm still wary of the fuel injection system as I ride by myself sporadically. Bigger bikes are out as I wouldn't be able to pick them up  :eek: and they get you into bigger trouble.

Thanks Grebel; ja I've started such a mount a few times but something else gets in the way so I fall back on a handlebar mount for my vintage 276. Current "get in the ways" is the ignition switch has fried itself and previously was the water pump but getting there.

The new 500 KTM/Husky's are good bait but I'm still wary of the fuel injection system as I ride by myself sporadically. Bigger bikes are out as I wouldn't be able to pick them up  :eek: and they get you into bigger trouble.

I found this very interesting..

My brother went ahead and got himself a 1999 honda cb 750 on Saturday. It is in a very good condition and he plans to keep it as a collectible.....

I took it for a ride yesterday, its not ripping your face of, but it has so much power for such a lite bike. (comparing to a 650 dakar) and man it is quiet!! 

That picking up video is interesting and I have seen it before and done the BMW course. But I have also had er, significant experience in picking up dirt bikes. For my size and strength er, average, picking up a 150kg bike (KTM 640) is generally possible, even in mud (KTM Rally Raid) and when the bloody thing falls downhill. 200kg (KTM 990) is challenging and if you have some luggages; not possible IMHO; you have to at least start offloading.

A KTM 500 / 525 at 125kg odd lightly loaded is more manageable.

It is one place where a bicycle has a significant advantage. :ph34r:

It's good to know there's more than one technique. In some circumstances it would not be possible to do it the walking back on the seat way and this may just be a help.

Edit: Spelling

Edited by sawystertrance

That picking up video is interesting and I have seen it before and done the BMW course. But I have also had er, significant experience in picking up dirt bikes. For my size and strength er, average, picking up a 150kg bike (KTM 640) is generally possible, even in mud (KTM Rally Raid) and when the bloody thing falls downhill. 200kg (KTM 990) is challenging and if you have some luggages; not possible IMHO; you have to at least start offloading.

A KTM 500 / 525 at 125kg odd lightly loaded is more manageable.

It is one place where a bicycle has a significant advantage. :ph34r:

I went for a ride on my own a while back (in hindsight it was a dumb idea) and I went a bit off the beaten track. Decided to turn around before I got into trouble. While turning around, I lost my footing and dropped the 640. It fell downhill.... Although the slope wasn't too bad, I almost ruptured my intestines trying to get that b!tch upright again..... Lesson learned! Pavement rides are cool on your own, anything involving dirt, it's a good idea to take a mate along.

I went for a ride on my own a while back (in hindsight it was a dumb idea) and I went a bit off the beaten track. Decided to turn around before I got into trouble. While turning around, I lost my footing and dropped the 640. It fell downhill.... Although the slope wasn't too bad, I almost ruptured my intestines trying to get that b!tch upright again..... Lesson learned! Pavement rides are cool on your own, anything involving dirt, it's a good idea to take a mate along.

did a similar thing on the GS800. Wrong turn and suddenly i am on a cat 6 4x4 loop. tried to turn and put my foot in a hole dropping the bike. picking it was nott too bad but trying to get it out of the hole was not fun

• 2 weeks later...