Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

If it's the same one I'm thinking of, the driver of the poegie (the Dad) sadly passed away, the passenger (the Son) is in serious condition. Driver of the cage, no injuries, but very traumatised.

Apparently they turned infront of him, he could not avoid the crash. 

Hi wannebe, where did you get your info about the dad? 

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So the spotlights are technically illegal but no law enforcement polices it. Bit of a pet hate for me as these Jeep/Ranger, etc drivers love blinding people. That and fog-lights on a bright sunny day.

Do the pipe.......

Pipe noise exits out back and sound is directional so VERY good for buzzing them as you go past to remind them to open their f'n eyes. I have an Akra on my 640 without the DB killer and pedestrians still don't see/hear me when lane splitting.... I would do both pipe and lights. I also have an orange light cover which is quite *** at night.

I think spots are the answer. Granted, they piss people off but rather that than they don't see you, although I think they do in fact see you but don't quite register a bike as being a road presence.

That's my theory, anyway.

I think that putting on a loud exhaust will not only piss off other folks who may not even be driving, but also, once they hear you, you will already be past (or have hit) them. It may work in slow traffic driving in the same direction as you but what about oncoming traffic which may be tempted to turn in front of you? 

Mind you, got to say, even spots don't deter some idiots/selfish drivers. I had a guy in a Discovery turn right in front of me when I was about 10m away. Some drivers just don't care...

The spots are great for being seen from the front.  Loud pipe is good for presence and can be heard from in front as well (although not as much as after you've gone past obviously).  I've always found that the loud pipe gets me noticed more than spots, especially if you're lane splitting - people (generally) hear you coming and move aside whereas with the spots they need to be looking in their mirrors. 

Both would be my recommendation. 

If only one is an option then I'd say the pipe - it'll change the character of the bike and add some extra enjoyment.

As an extra, I wouldn't recommend a loud exhaust on a small capacity single cylinder.  They just sound rubbish and are generally excessively noisy. 

The spots are great for being seen from the front.  Loud pipe is good for presence and can be heard from in front as well (although not as much as after you've gone past obviously).  I've always found that the loud pipe gets me noticed more than spots, especially if you're lane splitting - people (generally) hear you coming and move aside whereas with the spots they need to be looking in their mirrors. 

Both would be my recommendation. 

If only one is an option then I'd say the pipe - it'll change the character of the bike and add some extra enjoyment.

Any old excuse for a loud pipe, eh? Typical biker hooligan.

:clap:

Just gotta check my lotto tickets. I had Katanas back in the day, my one motorcycling regret was selling em. I still cry to this day when i see price of good condition ones...sad hey. WHEN i win lotto i buy a new one and an original Muth one.

http://www.zabikers.co.za/2018/10/02/revealed-2019-suzuki-katana/

a mate of mine's dad used to have a Katana. Always loved that bike, and I'm glad to see they've kept the overall "feel" of the bike. Though a bit more power wouldn't have gone amiss. The Katana was, well, a weapon, back in the day. 

Hi wannebe, where did you get your info about the dad? 

Acquaintance from my wife told her last night. The car driver is someone she (the acquaintance) knows.

Acquaintance from my wife told her last night. The car driver is someone she (the acquaintance) knows.

Just got word form the first person on site who is in contact with the mother/wife. Both dad and son is alive. Son is currently being operated on, and dad is kept under due the the pain. He is booked for the next OR. 

So just out of interest, if you ever want to screw your mind over go change your gear shift lever to race pattern. 1 up and all down from there.

Very intuitive on the down shifts and clutchless upshifts are really smooth.

Did it out of interest and will probably change back now......

Biggest gripe is stopped at a light or stop street I will usually tap down on the lever to make sure its in 1st, now its a big adjustment to go up rather. Also change from 1st to second at low revs needs a firm push down on the lever.

Honestly, why that pattern isn't the norm (it used to be way way back) totally baffles me. The day I switched it on the racebike was the last time I rode a motorcycle with it the normal way. It's just better. Plus, a quickshifter and a tap tap tap through the gearbox is win, and, the Triple has so much torque that you never really need first gear.

Just got word form the first person on site who is in contact with the mother/wife. Both dad and son is alive. Son is currently being operated on, and dad is kept under due the the pain. He is booked for the next OR. 

Great news (sorta). Glad there was no casualties then. :clap:

Will tell my wife to tell her connection, to make sure of her facts.

Just gotta check my lotto tickets. I had Katanas back in the day, my one motorcycling regret was selling em. I still cry to this day when i see price of good condition ones...sad hey. WHEN i win lotto i buy a new one and an original Muth one.

http://www.zabikers.co.za/2018/10/02/revealed-2019-suzuki-katana/

Ugly parts bin special of note. I think it looks hideous.

They put adventure bars on the monstrosity for goodness sakes........