Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So as a first bike again to test the waters ..... there is a brand by the name of Crosby, they go under the name of Mash overseas and is a Chinese built bike for a French Producer/Company.

They offer really well priced and simple bikes running at the 400cc mark.

Earlier today I spotted their Roadster outside my coffee shop and went to find the owner. In discussion with him, he really loves the bike. Rides well and is happy take his wife/girlfriend/lady sitting opposite him and their gear for weekends away in Langebaan, etc. His first run in service also only cost him R700.

Under closer inspection the bike actually looks rather good, and with a price tag of R48K is flipping well priced.

Looking at the Crosby site I see they also do a Scrambler version, now this "works" for me from a looks department. I would just remove the Crosby decals if possible....and try and get it with the Chromed Tank!

But still kicking tyres and learning as I am going, this looks like an economical option, that if I also want to work on later in it's life is simple enough to experiment with.

http://crosbymc.co.za/online/index.php?route=product/product&path=17&product_id=54

http://www.mash-motors.fr/3568-access_thickbox/mash-scrambler-400cc-efi-2018.jpg

Not sure what kind of riding you intend on doing Hairy, but I would also steer clear of Chinese bikes.

Personally I'd also rather go for second hand Japanese bikes or if you're really into the look of that Crosby have a look at something like a Royal Enfield.

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-motorcycles-scooters/woodstock/royal-enfield-classic-500/1002780971440910023987409

Not sure what kind of riding you intend on doing Hairy, but I would also steer clear of Chinese bikes.

Personally I'd also rather go for second hand Japanese bikes or if you're really into the look of that Crosby have a look at something like a Royal Enfield. https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-motorcycles-scooters/woodstock/royal-enfield-classic-500/1002780971440910023987409

Been eyeing out the Enfield for some time already, they just seem to have increased drastically in price the last year and half. For the price of an Enfield I would rather add a few thousand more and get a 390 Duke......but then again I also have no idea what sort of riding I would be doing.....so I am really still kicking tyres, speaking to people and formulating things in my mind.

Please also realise it sometimes takes me a few months to buy a pair of gloves as I need to test them all first to make sure I get the best fit....so what I am really saying is that this will be a long road for me....pardon the pun.

I do like the idea of a older Japanese bike in a bigger engine capacity....just don’t want to buy a bike that could be coming with issues and be throwing money at it all the time.

Been eyeing out the Enfield for some time already, they just seem to have increased drastically in price the last year and half. For the price of an Enfield I would rather add a few thousand more and get a 390 Duke......but then again I also have no idea what sort of riding I would be doing.....so I am really still kicking tyres, speaking to people and formulating things in my mind.

Please also realise it sometimes takes me a few months to buy a pair of gloves as I need to test them all first to make sure I get the best fit....so what I am really saying is that this will be a long road for me....pardon the pun.

I do like the idea of a older Japanese bike in a bigger engine capacity....just don’t want to buy a bike that could be coming with issues and be throwing money at it all the time.

No problem, do you research, kick as many tyres as you need to before you make your decision.

I agree that the second hand market is filled with alot of rubbish, but there are some decent, well maintained bikes out there aswell.

The right bike will cross your path when the time is right.[emoji106]

Hairy, it took my 3 years to decide to buy my bike. I also couldn't decide what kind of riding I was going to do and waited and waited...

Eventually made the decision to buy on the basis that I could at least ride something and if I found it didn't suit me, I could sell it and buy something more suitable. 

For me it has worked out so far but sometimes you just have to act and progress from there.

This advice from someone who took 12 months to buy a leather I jacket I liked.   :D

Eish Hairy my gut feel comment is that bike reliability and backup is still heavily in Jap favour in SA; as a KTM owner it pains me to say it. In order, I think, in order, it is Honda/Yamaha then Suzuki/Kawasaki (fewer dealers) then BMW then KTM/Husqvarna then Triumph/Ducati/Harley before other Italian, Chinese, Indian etc.  But Chinese and Indian are catching up fast. Enfields are great in India I would say when you have some time and every village has a selection of shops with mechanics and spares.

Disclaimer; I've only owned dirt bikes; KTM, Husky, Yamaha and Honda so it's just gut (and what I hear and read).

Hairy, it took my 3 years to decide to buy my bike. I also couldn't decide what kind of riding I was going to do and waited and waited...

Eventually made the decision to buy on the basis that I could at least ride something and if I found it didn't suit me, I could sell it and buy something more suitable. 

For me it has worked out so far but sometimes you just have to act and progress from there.

This advice from someone who took 12 months to buy a leather I jacket I liked.   :D

I will respectfully disagree given the depreciation of motorcycles. You should at least have an idea of what sort of bike you want.

As an example, I bought my Triumph tiger for R79k, a year later I couldn't beg somebody to buy it for R60k and ended up trading it for something more suited with a guy who wanted an adventure bike. It did have a lot to do with the Triumph agent and their issues but bikes in general just do not hold their value these days. A 2012 'blade can be bought for as little as R65K!!!!!

So your suggestion is not bad, don't get me wrong, but you do need to be careful or you could be out of pocket.

Ah but you underestimate what a tightass I am..See above for long time taken to buy a leather jacket...

I bought a used bike after looking around a lot and figured it was a decent deal, had already taken it's knock on value on new price, and that, at most, i would lose R10k to R20k. I thought that was acceptable to be able to be up and riding.

You make a good point although I think it applies more to new bikes than used.

Are there electric motorbikes in SA? 

A bike came past me in traffic yesterday, making a hell of a strange noise on overrun(?)/liftoff, and then suspiciously quietly picked up speed again.

There are, or was maybe now.

https://www.wheels24.co.za/BikesQuads/SA-multi-dealer-into-Zero-battery-bikes-20150310

Cayenne had the dealership for Zero Motorcycles, wonder how aftersales will work now.......

They are hellishly expensive though.

That being said, I bought an Aprilia RS125 tank off of a guy who was doing a DIY conversion to electric. I know of a friend in NZL who built an electric Yamaha VMax so maybe it could've been a DIY jobbie.

Turbo maybe? What kind of noise?

H2R possibly.

Was it seriously fugly because then it probably was that monstrosity.

BTW, you seen the new ZX6R. That thing hit every branch on its way down the ugly tree!!!!!

No ways, I would have crashed if it were an H2R! - those things are ridiculous. Apart from showrooms I've only ever seen one on the road.

At first I thought it was the baby KTM duke.

But it really sounded like one of those regenerative things spooling up under braking. Like a deep mechanical whine. It was pretty brief, so good chance I misheard, but I'll be keeping an eye out from now on

No ways, I would have crashed if it were an H2R! - those things are ridiculous. Apart from showrooms I've only ever seen one on the road.

At first I thought it was the baby KTM duke.

But it really sounded like one of those regenerative things spooling up under braking. Like a deep mechanical whine. It was pretty brief, so good chance I misheard, but I'll be keeping an eye out from now on

I have seen a Hayubusa turbo here in Pretoria, also only once. Was surprisingly quiet with a whine. maybe it was something similar.......

I have seen a Hayubusa turbo here in Pretoria, also only once. Was surprisingly quiet with a whine. maybe it was something similar.......

You probably right, maybe it was a home job so not all the pipes were plugged in the right place ..

No problem, do you research, kick as many tyres as you need to before you make your decision.

I agree that the second hand market is filled with alot of rubbish, but there are some decent, well maintained bikes out there aswell.

The right bike will cross your path when the time is right.[emoji106]

An example of a “decent, well maintained bike out there”, friend of mine is selling a Suzuki 150 Gixxer, bought it for his son 2 years ago, then realized that the kids today don’t have the same road sense we had as they don’t ride bikes in the streets as we did.

It hasn’t done 1000km’s yet, not even run in.