Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

Hi All 

Any of you riff raff have any experience on the Honda CX500 ... may be able to pick up a bargain that needs carbs cleaned, noted that headset needed tightening (?) and something else I forgot, but will find out again.

Looking 14-16K ... waiting on mileage on engine.

This from a commuter that joins us in the afternoons, it was a failed project that he never got to.

Besides, every guy likes a good twin cylinder.  You lot can decide if I'm referring to the bike, or the poster

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hairy,

With some work you could get it to look like this...

Not a cruiser but wow..

honda-cx500-sacha-lakic-design-2014-db-0

Happy to forgo a cruiser for a good naked bike or pimped cafe racer as per your pic. My journey started by first looking at the Royal Infields, but I think these are just too expensive now for what you are getting.

Geez, you just beat me to it..

CX500's aren't bad bikes hey, but they did have a bit of a bad reputation regarding the cam chain, chain tensioner and there is a mechanical seal that gives trouble.  It's called the "Triple Bypass".  As a result, Honda riders speak of them in hushed tones!

https://motofaction.org/motorcycles/honda-cx-gl/triple-or-quadruple-bypass-cx500-cx650-gl500-gl650/

If these have all been addressed with the factory upgrades, or by someone who knows what they are doing, they really aren't bad bikes at all.

Was listening to a YouTube clip where a person mentioned the timing chains in 1979, bikes after this were meant to be good to go. He also noted that the cooling fan had habit of becoming brittle overtime and would explode in the same way a cracked CD can, with shards flying everywhere ... the rider would be protected by the engine block and the radiator would take the brunt of the shrapnel.

might be worth the visit just to take a closer look at that set of twins.  :ph34r:

Besides, every guy likes a good twin cylinder.  You lot can decide if I'm referring to the bike, or the poster

CX500's aren't bad bikes hey, but they did have a bit of a bad reputation regarding the cam chain, chain tensioner and there is a mechanical seal that gives trouble.  It's called the "Triple Bypass".  As a result, Honda riders speak of them in hushed tones!

https://motofaction.org/motorcycles/honda-cx-gl/triple-or-quadruple-bypass-cx500-cx650-gl500-gl650/

If these have all been addressed with the factory upgrades, or by someone who knows what they are doing, they really aren't bad bikes at all.

That sounds potentially expensive?

That sounds potentially expensive?

Speaking of "sounds"....worth buying for the exhaust note alone . Comfort ( and road manners) like riding your favorite couch.

Hi Hairy, If I were you I'd jump at the chance to buy that bike. If it is as you say a uncompleted project then this is the ideal way to get to know youre bike while restoring it.

I'm a hands-on kind of guy so I'd be fiddling away at it myself, but a good option for you to work on the bike yourself under guided supervision would be to contact the guy's at Woodstock Moto Co , if they're not to hipster for you.....[emoji6]

At a purchase price of around R15k I doubt the restoration cost would bring you to the price of a 883 Sportster and if you customize you will have one seriously cool bike that'll stand out in a crowd.

Id personally go for a custom tracker look rather than a cafe racer as a tracker has a more comfortable riding position, but thats me.

Why not come to the Toy Run in November, there will be thousands of bikes to oggle and you can get great ideas there, maybe even change your mind a few more times about what you want....[emoji16]

Hi All

Any of you riff raff have any experience on the Honda CX500 ... may be able to pick up a bargain that needs carbs cleaned, noted that headset needed tightening (?) and something else I forgot, but will find out again.

This from a commuter that joins us in the afternoons, it was a failed project that he never got to.

Hi All 

If the bike is complete and licenced and if you are comfortable with spanners. Then it might be an option. But you have got to decide if your priority is transport or if you want a project.

(I would be tempted, but I already have project).

Good CX500s are becoming scarce. Very popular for custom projects. You just need to Google (which I think you have already done) custom cx500.

If you have the patience and time that could be an amazing project at well under the cost of the 883 and something unique instead of a mass produced bike without a screaming eagle or tassle in sight...

The inspiration

2653632175be01ed7bf457ddbba4413b.jpg

The result

a4afac9f4ba178718fad63dc5724d963.jpg

The thread on Wild Dogs

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ewilddog%2Eza%2Enet%2Fforum%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D214171%2E0&share_tid=214171&share_fid=63206&share_type=t

(From Tapatalk.... If it doesn't work I'll fix it tomorrow at work)

From Wild Dogs but I think you need to be a member to view

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=214171.0

Edited by Grebel

Great thread and I agree with one of the last comments there that the bike would look better as a flat tracker or just plain naked bike with "up" bars. 

Individual taste, though.....

Edit:

That bike should be exhibited at the Ace Cafe in London. It would really turn heads.

As a side story, I once worked as a labourer - during my desperate days in London - and for a week I painted the fences on the road in front of the Ace Cafe. Was almost a rite of passage to do it and is now my claim to fame... :D

Edited by sawystertrance

As someone busy rebuilding a bike at the moment, factor in a lot of time and frustration.

You will need to juggle garage time with family time and unfortunately family wins 9 times out of 10!!

Everything takes 10 times longer than expected, more so if you are a perfectionist.

You will miss things when inspected and there will be more that's needs doing than initially thought but it is the most fulfilling thing when you mark things off the to do list.

Love those CX's btw, and they built a turboéd model too!!!

Love those CX's btw, and they built a turboéd model too!!!

They were good looking bikes, especially in white.

Crappy bike though due to unreliability, early days of turbocharging of motorbikes, technology let us down.

Honda%20CX500%20Turbo%20%206.jpg

Same as the Yamaha 650 Seca turbo. Good looking, but nothing else.

1983-yamaha-xj-650-seca-turbo-1.jpg

Edited by Wannabe

They were good looking bikes, especially in white.

Crappy bike though due to unreliability, early days of turbocharging of motorbikes, technology let us down.

Honda%20CX500%20Turbo%20%206.jpg

Same as the Yamaha 650 Seca turbo. Good looking, but nothing else.

1983-yamaha-xj-650-seca-turbo-1.jpg

Good looking is in the eye of the beer holder...........

Good looking is in the eye of the beer holder...........

It was, to our generation of bikers. Naked bikes or bikini fairings was the norm then, these were futuristic.