Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any particular reason, or just 'cos it's easier? I'm not averse to kicking, but I do know that the leccie start is a lot easier. 

TT600 - saw one, tell me more

From the Yamaha side, I would steer clear of the older bikes - not because they are at all bad, but because if you are going to use them regularly, things will wear out, and parts are not easy to get - silly things like spokes will be discontinued by now - you will find, but they won't be off the shelf.  And standard rings and pistons you will get, but if you need oversize stuff, then you will battle.  And then there is always the risk someone steals things like sidecovers and stuff because all the plastics are discontinued, and collectors pay big money for them.  I have this issue with both my DT's.

So - from my side - XT660 all the way - parts plentiful and there are a ton of them.  The XT660Z is really popular, but apart from the bigger tank really is no better than the XT660R - in fact we always felt the R was a better commuter than the Z - but that's just an opinion!

Although electric start should be a non negotiable for a big single, it is nice to have the kickstart as well for those 'just in case' moments.  I ended up using mine quite a lot on my old 640 purely because it was a KTM so didn't work as it was meant to all the time :P
But that was a left foot kicker, so felt really weird and had to get used to it.  It also had a decompression lever which had a knack to it - get it wrong and you know all about it as the kicker lever says hello to your calf...

Pity it is in JHB, gonna be a logistical problem for me to check out actual condition. Not planning to try and salvage a complete basket case.

I may know of a CPT based FZR250 roller, complete except for motor, for sale.

No idea on price, etc.

PM me if you are serious and I can forward the contact details.

Okay. Question time. I've been strongly considering a moto for a looong time, and I think next year is the time to get one. Finally. 

My budget won't be large, and will probably extend to about 30/40k with luck. I have a very strong hankering for something simple, so a single cylinder thumper would probably be my best bet. I'm also considering going for one of the old favourites. These are what I'm looking at.  

XT500

XR500/550/650

DRZ400

I have ridden extensively in the past, and am decent with my hands and engines, until it gets very electronic. 

I'd LOVE a superduke 690, but my budget (sadly) won't extend that far. Anyone with tips / ideas / advice? Are the old singles still considered to have good availability of spares, or is it a case of wellyourefucked if you pop a big end / rod / valve? 

It is in Pretoria.  Which is where i live.  #Justsaying!

I wouldn't try to recover the 400 Engine though - probably long gone and not worth it.  But the frame seems ok to me

I may know of a CPT based FZR250 roller, complete except for motor, for sale.

No idea on price, etc.

PM me if you are serious and I can forward the contact details.

I'll have to speak to the "Boss" first.  :whistling:

We are planning on renovating our home, not too sure that she'll be too keen on me spending money on the side, on a "nice to have project"

Yeah, but no. How difficult is it to register a project bike?

To make life easier, always buy a bike with papers and preferably running. It is possible but from what I have heard it takes a lot of rubber stamps and running around to get it done. Affidavits, police clearance, data dotting etc.

Get it COR'd and registered and then start playing

Although electric start should be a non negotiable for a big single, it is nice to have the kickstart as well for those 'just in case' moments.  I ended up using mine quite a lot on my old 640 purely because it was a KTM so didn't work as it was meant to all the time :P

But that was a left foot kicker, so felt really weird and had to get used to it.  It also had a decompression lever which had a knack to it - get it wrong and you know all about it as the kicker lever says hello to your calf...

If you don't follow the correct sequence on the 640, it will in all likely hood live up to the acronym (Kick Till Monday)

There is a procedure on Adventure Rider that I follow and it hasn't failed me yet  :thumbup:

I kick mine standing on the LHS and kick with my right foot. That left hand kicker messes with my head if I am on the bike....

To make life easier, always buy a bike with papers and preferably running. It is possible but from what I have heard it takes a lot of rubber stamps and running around to get it done. Affidavits, police clearance, data dotting etc.

Get it COR'd and registered and then start playing

Lekker

If you don't follow the correct sequence on the 640, it will in all likely hood live up to the acronym (Kick Till Monday)

There is a procedure on Adventure Rider that I follow and it hasn't failed me yet  :thumbup:

I kick mine standing on the LHS and kick with my right foot. That left hand kicker messes with my head if I am on the bike....

I learned that sequence well, and it always fired up on the first actual starting kick even in the middle of winter in the UK.  I could never manage the standing on the side of the bike and kicking thing though - that felt even weirder than the left foot kick!

It is in Pretoria.  Which is where i live.  #Justsaying!

I wouldn't try to recover the 400 Engine though - probably long gone and not worth it.  But the frame seems ok to me

Bike is sold, Andy. Sounds like she got a R3500-00 cash offer, which she accepted.

Bike is sold, Andy. Sounds like she got a R3500-00 cash offer, which she accepted.

Wow, thats usually what the rims and swinger would go for to use in a hybrid build. She sold herself short AND THEN SOME!!!!