Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

Hi guys, anybody with personal experience with a 2003 R1250GS adventure bike.

Can get one for a reasonable price but with 73000km on it and a TPS problem..........

Must be a great bike if you need to ride TP with!! :P  :D  :lol:

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love what you've done with your Husky 350 patches, it looks the bees-knees :thumbup: 

What made you decide on the 350 over the 501 for adventure type rides?

AFAIK that is too old to finance, unless through a personal loan.

They tend to frown on any vehicle older than 7 or 8 years old these days.

As for the bike, if it has been properly maintained then they are pretty bulletproof........

Wesbank finance upto 10 years

Edited by Starvin' Marvin

I love what you've done with your Husky 350 patches, it looks the bees-knees :thumbup: 

What made you decide on the 350 over the 501 for adventure type rides?

A few things... which I kinda regret now.

1. Price & Availability. I bought a 2015 model (old stock) for NZ$4000 (nearly R40 000) less than a 2016 model (the year I bought it).
  2. Experience. This was my first ever motorcycle and the 501 kinda scred me. They're rather beastly.

When the FE350 got to about 12500km (250hrs), I did think about upgrading to a 2018 FE501. But that meant taking out finance and going spending at least R30 000 on all the upgrades that I couldn't transfer across(long range tank, seat, steg pegs, midwest clutch lever etc etc).

Plus with 250hrs on I would get peanuts for the bike, even though it is still running strong (never raced etc. Just trail riding).

So I decided to hold off on the FE 501, get my full licence (which I can only do next august), and look at maybe a KTM790 Adventure R or kit out a Husky 701 with one of the Omega rally kits. Something sub 200kg, off-road capable, and longer service intervals.

ktm-790-adv-r.jpg?itok=fGfFDrMx&fc=50,50Production version of the KTM 790 Adventure R. Not as sexy as the prototype, but still pretty cool.

Husq701RallyFeb17-Cudby-0010.JPG

Husky 701 with Omega Rally Kit. The kit alone is like R100 000 though. Yikes!

Then there's the dream...

http://www.mcnews.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Dakar-2018-Pre-Husqvarna-Pablo-Quintanilla-2.jpg

pablo.quintanilla_Rockstar_Energy_Husqva

2018 Husqvarna 450 Rally. But at EUR26 000... it shall remain as a dream for now.

Edited by patches

I remember a while ago I posted here I thought I saw an electric bike in traffic.

Well I finally saw it again this morning. It was at 5am, I was running, and there was not another car for miles so luckily I could get a good listen to this creation. 

It also had ZERO written across the base of the small windshield visor thing.

Very odd mixture of wines when it accelerates, and hellova squeaky brakes - think cold porsche brakes...

To be honest, I was very happy to get on my Duc an hour later and bring the proper noise

Finally got my scoot back from a service and MOT, also had to have the exhaust welded due to a crack in the header area of cylinder number 2. Stainless steel exhaust so worth saving.

Commuted in the rain and 4 degrees this morning cos I missed riding so much.

This bike will be 26 years old next year, am still surprised how well it goes and how well it has stood the test of time and salty roads here. The Japanese justmdo things well. Do need to take off the swing arm at some point and Hammerite it though.

post-58227-0-93511300-1545314768_thumb.jpeg

Finally got my scoot back from a service and MOT, also had to have the exhaust welded due to a crack in the header area of cylinder number 2. Stainless steel exhaust so worth saving.

This bike will be 26 years old next year, am still surprised how well it goes and how well it has stood the test of time and salty roads here. The Japanese justmdo things well. Do need to take off the swing arm at some point and Hammerite it though.

Am I seeing correct, is that an 600cc?

I've only ever seen RF900's and RF400's here on SA roads. If I'm not mistaken they are grey imports here. I've never ridden one but I've always thought they looked like a really comfortable long distance bike.

Am I seeing correct, is that an 600cc?

I've only ever seen RF900's and RF400's here on SA roads. If I'm not mistaken they are grey imports here. I've never ridden one but I've always thought they looked like a really comfortable long distance bike.

Yebo....always wanted one ever since they came out but so few were imported into ZA I was scared to buy a low import bike so never got one. The 900 and 600 were official imports and the 400 was a grey import.

When I got here I did some research and while they were fairly low key here I can get any parts I wanted off eBay so bought this one with then around 21k miles on the clock for the sum of 1100 pounds. I checked the history and since 2005 it had done 3000 miles an one year did 14 miles ( basically,to the MOT Centre and back) so I bought it.

Never let me down, great lil bike and with the roads and Mr Plod here a 600 is more than enough. Lil bike surprises me with its eagerness to get on with it.

Ironman, AGV and Vale 

The sticker game is strong with you.

Since I got my bike back on Wednesday evening from MOT , service and some odds and sods work I have done just on 200 miles, 190 of them in the fooking rain...eish

post-58227-0-62870700-1545383242_thumb.jpeg

Edited by IceCreamMan

Since I got my bike back on Wednesday evening from MOT , service and some odds and sods work I have done just on 200 miles, 190 of them in the fooking rain...eish

Lekker and not so lekker, but still lekker hey?[emoji6]

Ironman, AGV and Vale

The sticker game is strong with you.

Yeah. Got loads all over the bike. I am a slut that way.

@CBlake how you like that sticker on the screen in the frontal pic?[emoji1787]

Just looking at that moss on the ground takes me straight back to my time in London and gives me the shivers. The weather there just sucked the blooming life out of me.