Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So Friday on my way home my SRAD started jerking a few times and eventually died on me. Found the main fuse blown and called the wife to come fetch me with the bakkie.

Only got round to looking for the problem this afternoon and got really lucky. Took the tailpiece of first and moved on to the front fairing to inspect the wiring loom. As I took of the fairing panel I saw that the loom had started rubbing against the fork and had scuffed of the insulation and this caused a dead short on the wire.

Taped the wires back up, repositioned the loom slightly as to not rub against the fork again and I'm good to go again.

A plus point that came out of this incident is that in anticipation that I might be without a bike for a day or two while stripping the loom I proceeded to assemble my singlespeed commuter that hasn't been used in more than a year as backup to get to work.

Now that its running again I might aswell start using it again and give the motorbike a bit of rest.

just how "safe" are scooters in terms of handling and braking?

A TMAX is really just an automatic motorbike with a scooter body.  I might have my groups wrong, but if I recall Bill Hunter comfortably led the C group times at a trackday once.  And that was the old 500 TMAX.  That bike handled and stopped as well as any roadbike. The new one has a proper aluminium frame and bigger wheels so it's even better.

And from a safety point of view there were two things I felt really comfortable with - with the storage space under the seat, I didn't have to carry a bag on my back which I always felt covered my Hi-Vis vest making it a bit less effective.  And with no tank and frame between my legs I also felt that if I was ever hit from the side by a car, my legs wouldn't get too badly injured.

BWhiz is a little less so....tiny wheels, front brake hardly any better than a decent MTB brake, and acceleration which can quickly get you into trouble means you need to keep your wits about you.  I get a bit nervous when my Wife takes the BWhiz.....

Did a little searching on various classifieds ... a used TMAX is the same price as a rather decent second hand motorbike!

A TMAX is really just an automatic motorbike with a scooter body.  I might have my groups wrong, but if I recall Bill Hunter comfortably led the C group times at a trackday once.  And that was the old 500 TMAX.  That bike handled and stopped as well as any roadbike. The new one has a proper aluminium frame and bigger wheels so it's even better.

And from a safety point of view there were two things I felt really comfortable with - with the storage space under the seat, I didn't have to carry a bag on my back which I always felt covered my Hi-Vis vest making it a bit less effective.  And with no tank and frame between my legs I also felt that if I was ever hit from the side by a car, my legs wouldn't get too badly injured.

BWhiz is a little less so....tiny wheels, front brake hardly any better than a decent MTB brake, and acceleration which can quickly get you into trouble means you need to keep your wits about you.  I get a bit nervous when my Wife takes the BWhiz.....

Did a little searching on various classifieds ... a used TMAX is the same price as a rather decent second hand motorbike!

Yes BUT... Rossi rides one as daily transport.... try it - you might like it.

The thing is, it really is a pretty decent motorbike.  Unfortunately, it's labelled as a Scooter and gets a pretty bad rap.

The TMAX I rode when I commuted was the only motorbike I have ridden where I felt that if for whatever reason I could not own a car, this would be a genuine alternative.

just how "safe" are scooters in terms of handling and braking?

Thst or a motard.....

I used to commute in London on a ZX6R which always felt like a waste (apart from on the A41 'racetrack' on the way home :ph34r:).  I decided that a motard would be more suited so got one and swapped between the two bikes depending on my mood.  The motard was about to get me into trouble though (got chased by the cops one too many times while being naughty :ph34r: ) so I went the sensible route, sold them both and bought a Honda SH300i.  For a little scooter it was really nippy, and surprisingly stable around the bends.

On my weekly Saturday race into work ( :ph34r:) the scooter actually got my fastest ever time!  It was comfortable, warm in winter, had great brakes (with ABS), fast enough and light on fuel.  That one little bike changed all of my perceptions about engine sizes / horsepower / image.

My old boss had the T-max - I was always impressed by the smoothness and stability of that bike, but it always felt quite big. 

The big wheel scooters make sense commuting. My problem is that I need something that can get this hot bod up to 120 and then stay ahead of cars on the N1. Had a 250, and that got me up to 120 on a down hill with the wind from behind. 

I used to commute in London on a ZX6R which always felt like a waste (apart from on the A41 'racetrack' on the way home :ph34r:).  I decided that a motard would be more suited so got one and swapped between the two bikes depending on my mood.  The motard was about to get me into trouble though (got chased by the cops one too many times while being naughty :ph34r: ) so I went the sensible route, sold them both and bought a Honda SH300i.  For a little scooter it was really nippy, and surprisingly stable around the bends.

On my weekly Saturday race into work ( :ph34r:) the scooter actually got my fastest ever time!  It was comfortable, warm in winter, had great brakes (with ABS), fast enough and light on fuel.  That one little bike changed all of my perceptions about engine sizes / horsepower / image.

My old boss had the T-max - I was always impressed by the smoothness and stability of that bike, but it always felt quite big. 

120 ain't enough. On our roads you sometimes need to accelerate out of trouble from 120. Not sure how scooters - even the TMAX - will handle this. 

Andymann?

120 ain't enough. On our roads you sometimes need to accelerate out of trouble from 120. Not sure how scooters - even the TMAX - will handle this. 

Andymann?

True true

Andymann?

My Sym 300 cruises 120 - and easily goes to 140. 

Yes BUT... Rossi rides one as daily transport.... try it - you might like it.

Was that the same one he was riding when kicked the woman out the way???

Edited with video, no it wasn't.....

Edited by Steven Knoetze (sk27)