Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

This bike belonged to the leader of one of the NZ's 3 big gangs (or "motorcycle clubs" as they prefer to be called). Gold plated. His lifestyle drew attention to him and he recently got busted.

He also happens to look a little like Karl Drogo, hahaha

They look like a lovely bunch of people 

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/300178644/comancheros-man-who-bought-car-for-gang-vicepresident-gets-community-detention

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Marketing is definitely something they have done right. Like what other brands can anyone think of with such a diverse cult following. From gang leaders and thugs to middle aged dentists and lawyers to hipsters and everyone in between.

Harleys are massive here in NZ. Indian has been trying hard to lure some of the Harley loyals over. Their TV ads contain phrases like "be original" and "think for yourself" etc. But they don't seem to sway too many minds.

One thing though, if you are going to get a Harley and bling the hell outta it, you better be a dentist or a lawyer otherwise the tax man and police might discover that you're a drug dealer/gang leader :lol:

1561711857666.jpg This bike belonged to the leader of one of the NZ's 3 big gangs (or "motorcycle clubs" as they prefer to be called). Gold plated. His lifestyle drew attention to him and he recently got busted.

He also happens to look a little like Karl Drogo, hahaha

T45TK44IBAGGVEY7RHCZZN24EQ.jpg

Reminds me a trip i took a few months ago when we were allowed to. Was visiting my mate up north on my mighty RF600 and stopped at a garage to fill up and warm up a tad. As luck would have it a "gang" of hard looking mothers being the northern Ireland hells angels pulls into the service station. Hardcore 1%  types, about 20 of em. I mind my own business , fill up , go inside to pay and grab a coffee and as i walk out the shop the biggest baddest one of the lot opens and holds the door for me before he walked in. Civil to a T. i said cheers and we had a quick ride safe chat etc. Manners maketh the man. 

So this arrived yesterday. It's in a bit of a state and is going to need some work, but an afternoon of tinkering had it running nicely (and the smell of burnt 2 stroke oil was lingering in the air! :D).  It's a late 70's/early 80's Italjet. My 6 year old is very excited!  :thumbup:

post-6978-0-76051700-1614588781_thumb.jpg

Question: Is it OK to run these old 2 strokes on unleaded petrol or do you need to put in that lead additive?  If I remember correctly, the leaded petrol was needed to lube the valves in the 4 stoke engines or something like that, so I'm guessing 2 stokes would not be so fussy? 

So this arrived yesterday. It's in a bit of a state and is going to need some work, but an afternoon of tinkering had it running nicely (and the smell of burnt 2 stroke oil was lingering in the air! :D).  It's a late 70's/early 80's Italjet. My 6 year old is very excited!  :thumbup:

attachicon.gif20210228_113208.jpg

Question: Is it OK to run these old 2 strokes on unleaded petrol or do you need to put in that lead additive?  If I remember correctly, the leaded petrol was needed to lube the valves in the 4 stoke engines or something like that, so I'm guessing 2 stokes would not be so fussy? 

Just use a good 2T oil and you should be good to go.

I had the big wheel model for my lads... used to take premix. 20:1 fuel to 2 stroke. 

Unleaded should be fine. Its the ethanol content that stuffs these old bikes up these days 

We had a red one growing up, many a burnt calf from the exhaust pipe.  It's standing at my brothers house, we thrashed it, and the next generation had a good go at it too.  Still running strong, although it no longer has mud guards!

Just use a good 2T oil and you should be good to go.

I had the big wheel model for my lads... used to take premix. 20:1 fuel to 2 stroke. 

Unleaded should be fine. Its the ethanol content that stuffs these old bikes up these days 

Thanks guys!  :thumbup:

We had a red one growing up, many a burnt calf from the exhaust pipe.  It's standing at my brothers house, we thrashed it, and the next generation had a good go at it too.  Still running strong, although it no longer has mud guards!

They are solidly made little bikes...

Yeah, I can see the exhaust pipe leaving a mark or two. This one has some tape around the exhaust that looks like a dodgy old bandage, so that can stay on until I find something to replace it with...

Brilliant pic.

But I nee to ask.... did he square it off or did that back wheel come all the way around?

I didn't take the picture, but judging where he's looking he squared it off. The track is quite long in AD, 2,7k's, so I miss quite a lot of what he's doing out there. 

Dubai is a lot more compact and tighter so can keep a better eye on him. (And use the shambok

Picked up our Duke 390 on Saturday afternoon.
Rode it home and it is a nippy little bugger.
Comfy but definitely not made for highways unless you install a screen of some sorts for the wind but it won't leaving you feeling vulnerable speed wise.

Should serve us well, wife will be using it to practice and get her license before we sell it on, more than likely.

I have chatted with a guy who says his son did 125000km on one with zero issues so seems they are pretty reliable given that you do your part and maintain it.

Edited by Steven Knoetze (sk27)

I didn't take the picture, but judging where he's looking he squared it off. The track is quite long in AD, 2,7k's, so I miss quite a lot of what he's doing out there. 

Dubai is a lot more compact and tighter so can keep a better eye on him. (And use the shambok

Amazing :clap:  :clap:  :clap: . And before Wakefield sees this.... one finger on that clutch :D

Man I hope my little one takes to bikes like this too.