Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

As I'm going to respray the bike in BRG, I just popped past Triumph Johannesburg to get myself a couple of the Tank Badges/Decals for the Thruxton.

I asked the guy if he was serious when he told me the price. R2k for what essentially is 2 stickers. :o

Looks like I'll be asking the guy whose going to paint, if he can spray the logo on.

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Thug said:

As I'm going to respray the bike in BRG, I just popped past Triumph Johannesburg to get myself a couple of the Tank Badges/Decals for the Thruxton.

I asked the guy if he was serious when he told me the price. R2k for what essentially is 2 stickers. :o

Looks like I'll be asking the guy whose going to paint, if he can spray the logo on.

Or find a printer who can make the decals for you

50 minutes ago, RoddieJ said:

Or find a printer who can make the decals for you

It's a 3D decal but there does appear to be printer locally that does print 3D decals

19 hours ago, Andrew_Smith said:

I treated myself with a Black Friday/Christmas Gift thanks to a friend giving me a very good deal.

Cardo Packtalk Bold
spacer.png

A couple of years ago I did one of the RideForever day-long rider instruction courses and the instructor had half a dozen Cardo PackTalks to lend out to each participant. They were great, and an awesome way to learn with the instructor giving instant advice and feedback whilst on the ride.

Shortly after I bought the integrated intercom unit (by Sena) for my Nexx helmet, with a cable adaptor so I can use my in-ears in stead of the speakers.

Works pretty well... ...for music and phone calls anyway.... I have no friends to talk to while I ride, hahaha

But yeah, I believe the Cardo's are better all round to the Sena's.

image.png.9dff252253f7c743f410d27e8c09b26f.png

Nexx X.Wed adventure helmet with integrated spaces for their proprietary X.Com system. I run the helmet with goggles instead of a visor (because it looks cooler ???? and from what I have heard when answering calls, the sound quality is still pretty decent.

Edited by patches

39 minutes ago, Hairy said:

I kind of like the idea that no one can get hold of me when I am on the bike ;)

That is also true and won't deny that.

I am getting it more specially for our group rides since we have almost five other riders with the Cardo units.

There was countless times on our previous trips were I wanted to say something to the rider up front or back, or ask when we can stop for a coffee and something to eat.

And for the solo trips once in a blue moon, I can listen to my favourite podcast or playlist.

Now that I think of it, navigation can work as well, since you will able to hear the turn-by-turn notifications.

19 minutes ago, Andrew_Smith said:

That is also true and won't deny that.

I am getting it more specially for our group rides since we have almost five other riders with the Cardo units.

There was countless times on our previous trips were I wanted to say something to the rider up front or back, or ask when we can stop for a coffee and something to eat.

And for the solo trips once in a blue moon, I can listen to my favourite podcast or playlist.

Now that I think of it, navigation can work as well, since you will able to hear the turn-by-turn notifications.

Can one still wear earplugs with a cardo type system, I find that if I do not wear earplugs for anything over 10/15min my ears ring.

Sometimes in life something works out way better than expected. One of life’s lil pleasures. 

my second gammas mirrors looked ***. Like uiters *** so I went on eBay and bought a set from a dealer who promised me they would fit. Aikona so I sent them back. Went onto Robinsons foundry site and mirrors for 83 gamma are unobtanium.  Went on some gamma forums and can get secondhand ones for around 120 quid a set. Has the world gone mad.

so left with the prospect of spending 120 I decided to see if my current ones could be salvaged. Unfortunately I did not take before pic but suffice to say they were in bad state. After a couple of hours with P600 and water I managed to get them sanded down.

DuckDuckGo led my to a product called Hycote paint and primer for rigid plastic panels for cars. Thought that would do the trick.10 quid in for both. Bargain at europarts. Never buy vehicle stuff anywhere else. 

3 coats primer with long drying times then after 3rd coat 24 hours, 1 coat satin black, 2 coats satin black,3 coats satin black an another 24 hour period. I dry em on the radiators. Works a treat. 

very please with the end result. Looks like it will last too. We wait n see. Pics did not load in sequence. 

1 with 3 coats primer

2 after sanding

3 with 3 coats paint.

4 with 1 coat

5 with 2 coats

6 Hycote paint. Primer in shed so no pic but same brand. Primer for plastic

7ED2FDA7-8CF0-4BE3-B789-32D34F1F824B.jpeg

457BF536-F286-4A83-9BF4-40547EC09714.jpeg

3F4E60F7-4614-4A05-A6F3-BA94F21035DF.jpeg

C688B9C2-A67B-4174-8ADD-47C2BDECCE96.jpeg

6AF2606A-6783-4D36-92E3-F7F3A33F5B97.jpeg

83C91172-E9D7-458D-B086-D4334CEBC076.jpeg

Edited by IceCreamMan

16 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

Sometimes in life something works out way better than expected. One of life’s lil pleasures. 

my second gammas mirrors looked ***. Like uiters *** so I went on eBay and bought a set from a dealer who promised me they would fit. Aikona so I sent them back. Went onto Robinsons foundry site and mirrors for 83 gamma are unobtanium.  Went on some gamma forums and can get secondhand ones for around 120 quid a set. Has the world gone mad.

so left with the prospect of spending 120 I decided to see if my current ones could be salvaged. Unfortunately I did not take before pic but suffice to say they were in bad state. After a couple of hours with P600 and water I managed to get them sanded down.

DuckDuckGo led my to a product called Hycote paint and primer for rigid plastic panels for cars. Thought that would do the trick.10 quid in for both. Bargain at europarts. Never buy vehicle stuff anywhere else. 

3 coats primer with long drying times then after 3rd coat 24 hours, 1 coat satin black, 2 coats satin black,3 coats satin black an another 24 hour period. I dry em on the radiators. Works a treat. 

very please with the end result. Looks like it will last too. We wait n see. Pics did not load in sequence. 

1 with 3 coats primer

2 after sanding

3 with 3 coats paint.

4 with 1 coat

5 with 2 coats

6 Hycote paint. Primer in shed so no pic but same brand. Primer for plastic

7ED2FDA7-8CF0-4BE3-B789-32D34F1F824B.jpeg

457BF536-F286-4A83-9BF4-40547EC09714.jpeg

3F4E60F7-4614-4A05-A6F3-BA94F21035DF.jpeg

C688B9C2-A67B-4174-8ADD-47C2BDECCE96.jpeg

6AF2606A-6783-4D36-92E3-F7F3A33F5B97.jpeg

83C91172-E9D7-458D-B086-D4334CEBC076.jpeg

Looking good!

1 hour ago, Hairy said:

Can one still wear earplugs with a cardo type system, I find that if I do not wear earplugs for anything over 10/15min my ears ring.

I saw that, would like to test it out when I get the unit. The best gift I got was those pair of NoNoise earplugs, cannot live without it for longer trips. For my short commute, I don't need them, don't experience any ear ringing luckily. I must say, I am very impressed with my helmet, don't experience too much wind noise either.

3 hours ago, Thug said:

Looking good!

Far surpassed my expectations. I am astounded how well it’s turned out.

proof is a couple of months out and a few rain sessions but I suspect it will hold. New skill an knowledge learnt. Never too old. 

2 hours ago, Andrew_Smith said:

I saw that, would like to test it out when I get the unit. The best gift I got was those pair of NoNoise earplugs, cannot live without it for longer trips. For my short commute, I don't need them, don't experience any ear ringing luckily. I must say, I am very impressed with my helmet, don't experience too much wind noise either.

NoNoise is the bomb bomb ... I recon if it is an in helmet speaker, the sound should go through the NoNoise

8 hours ago, Hairy said:

I see CT did the Toy Run this past weekend ..... was doing a quick Google search now to see when it was and am gutted to have missed it.

Never done it before, and I am sure it is just a long traffic jamb of bikes, but I still want to give it a spin

https://www.quicket.co.za/events/153866-toy-run-cape-town-2021/

It's a great vibe and interesting bikes so I have often been to the start point, never ridden, big crowds on bikes scare me, even though most runs have been incident free. Very easy to have someone cause a big accident.