Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

Do those spoked Adventure bike rims use tubes or not?

My Triumph has spoked rims but uses tubes.

I'm going to investigate the conversion to tubeless which seems to have been successfully done

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Thug said:

I'm going to investigate the conversion to tubeless which seems to have been successfully done

GS is tubeless. Most spoked wheels now are tubeless I believe on big adventure bikes, 

worth converting I reckon. And it’s simple enough to do too. You going to use tubeless tyres anyway might was well save the rolling mass of tubes. And I guess tubes increase heat which is not a good thing either. 

Edited by IceCreamMan

They may as well make all new spoked rims tubeless, just makes sense. You can always default to a tube if the poo poo really hits the fan on the tyre and you need a gator and tube to get out of the bush at a limp?

The Big Orange enjoyed a quick jol to Swartburg Pass at the weekend. Was nice to get out. So much rain in the Garden Route over the last 2 weeks. I had an unscheduled few days at home with the aeroplane in maintenance and only took the Katoom out. Road bikes stayed well wrapped up against the weather! The last pic is the Lategansvlei road, the turn off is just passed the Swartburg Private Game Lodge on the road to Kruisrivier from Kobus se Gat at the foot of the Swartburg Pass. I forgot what a lekker ride that is. Narrow and winding through the hills over low drift river crossings…..then opening out to a wide fast road where the Orange exercised her “ponies” at a fair gallop!4AB0DCBA-287E-456B-B9A8-FC9207C404C8.jpeg.3118384834d683fb2182c0d571c6ba45.jpeg3685C365-409A-4702-B356-DF157ACD3B48.jpeg.a49e3391b1d931936f8eb240361072f4.jpegAB353ADF-393A-4F14-A018-F892CC0C3DA6.jpeg.feeef7770778d259f1dfd9856b8b08c9.jpegFFC6503A-63B8-4DF4-9675-9456BA3B9EF1.jpeg.6844c1176b1a3e808ae920604f1a6f2a.jpeg

14 hours ago, Thug said:

14 hours ago, IceCreamMan said:

GS is tubeless. Most spoked wheels now are tubeless I believe on big adventure bikes, 

worth converting I reckon. And it’s simple enough to do too. You going to use tubeless tyres anyway might was well save the rolling mass of tubes. And I guess tubes increase heat which is not a good thing either. 

13 hours ago, Thug said:

3M make a tape that has been successfully used.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40068325/

Just a question of making sure the spokes have some type of thread locker on them and that the ends are nice and smooth.

I run the Tubliss system on my Huskies and its great!

For those who don't know, it's similar to Schwalbe's Procore system with a high pressure bead-lock chamber and a low pressure outer chamber.

TUbliss Gen2 Tyre System Kit | Rear | Dirtbikexpress™

Now as bigger adventure bikes typically don't run 21F/18R wheel sizes, the full Tubliss system may not be an option...

...however, when installing the system, one is required to seal up the spoke holes on the rim with the provided tape and specified methodology.

This tape is available on its own, so may be a good bet for the conversion you're thinking of. Just bear in mind that without a beadlock system (like Rimlock or Tubliss) low pressures may have the tyre shifting round the rim.

X001-Y002.jpg?v=1591191939

https://www.acesports.co.za/collections/tubliss/products/nuetech-tubliss-rim-tape

https://www.acesports.co.za/collections/tubliss

Tubliss is a reasonable option if you run lower pressures and do not want to risk a pinch flat on the tube IMHO. I run hot and cold on it and still have a front wheel set up in my roof (figuring the front to be the most likely victim) and should fit it. Only slight downside is if a nail, thorn, wire etc punctures the bladder (more likely on an adventure bike than enduro, particularly in Africa I think) so you still need a tube, levers etc.

2 hours ago, GrahamS2 said:

Quite a few guys I know have done it by painting bakkie liner instead of tape. Much tougher too.

Interesting.

7 minutes ago, RoddieJ said:

Maybe you just need to use it with the windscreen so it grows on you 🤞🏽

The windscreen comes and goes.

I have a new project out in Paarl I am going to on Saturday morning, so that was also a factor ........... I do really like using the screen, but at the same time I do not.

Most awesome thing though is that it takes less than a minute to fit or remove, so bonus :P

On 12/9/2021 at 8:24 AM, Hairy said:

Put the windscreen back on this morning again.

It looks so dorky compared to not having it fitted, but oh my word it is SOOO nice riding into the current South Easter!

Ok, a little more respect for the screen.

Did a ride out for coffee this morning and on the way back I thought I would get pastries for the family from Woolies. While waiting for them to come out the ovens, I also managed to pick a up nice bit of Gammon for Christmas lunch, so now I have a bag of pastries and a lump of meat, and my bungie cords I use to strap things to the sissy bars is at home.

Turns out a bag fits in so nicely behind the screen and in front of the handle bars, worked out perfectly for the little shopping trip.