Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

Very lekker Shova, on my list. I just need to cut back on bicycle time.

Ja, adventure biking does eat into bicycle time, don't cut back too much as the fitness helps the hours negotiating technical dirt road riding. 

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The monster is so sweet.

Buy the monster - if you don't like it, it will be easy to move along...

Absolutely Shova1; on the uphills I long for a motor bike, stuck in technical rocks, a stream crossing and singletrack with all that heavy kit, a bicycle.

Of course when you bliksem off a bicycle you wish you had all that heavy kit.

Those of you who build bikes will know - you take 3x as long putting it back together as it took to pull it to pieces. The whole day working, and not much to show...

Hi Andymann, your contributions have me coming here every day for updates...dig what you're doing!

Hi Andymann, your contributions have me coming here every day for updates...dig what you're doing!

Thanks! Sorry no other updates - I have a problem with the piston - it's not OEM, and I now need to try and find rings for it. Not so keen to buy a Genuine Yamaha piston unless I absolutely have to!

Thanks! Sorry no other updates - I have a problem with the piston - it's not OEM, and I now need to try and find rings for it. Not so keen to buy a Genuine Yamaha piston unless I absolutely have to!

Don't know if he is still operating, google Neil smith at NS Two Strokes. He helped me quite a bit in finding hard to find spares for all the RD's I rebuilt.

Also a stunning guy, really knows his stuff around a two stroke.

He is / was in Benoni.

Edited by Wannabe

Don't know if he is still operating, google Neil smith at NS Two Strokes. He helped me quite a bit in finding hard to find spares for all the RD's I rebuilt.

Also a stunning guy, really knows his stuff around a two stroke.

He is / was in Benoni.

Thanks yup I know him well. Last resort I will get a Pro-X kit from him, but for now I'm going to try and keep everything OEM - on this particular bike there were a few piston changes, and minor modifications, something the aftermarket guys don't always know about - in this case it seems like there was a part number superseded (Yamaha is know for doing this type of stuff), and the piston I have, while still being OEM, has been discontinued, so you cant get rings for it. The "old" type rings used to flutter at high revs causing wear, so they have reverted to a new design

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this at the circus down south today. Was wondering about the Vincent/Norton engine combination, were those not separate manufacturers/bikes?

post-271-1434213407,9578.jpg

post-271-1434213598,5371.jpg

post-271-1434213616,7838.jpg

Ok so I snuck in a days leave yesterday and really got a whole lot done. Piston issue is sorted (I bought a new piston and another set of rings) and most of the hard graft is done now. The only two negatives are the new sticker kit and fork boots which have still not arrived (I suspect they are gone for good), and more of a bummer is while the bike will probably be done for the 1000Bikes, I managed to qualify for the SA Duathlon champs in Bloem that same weekend, so I won't be around. Oh well, such is life! Here are some pics of the progress...

post-15215-0-39168900-1434470630_thumb.jpg

post-15215-0-51288600-1434470639_thumb.jpg

post-15215-0-17355700-1434470650_thumb.jpg

post-15215-0-78567500-1434470657_thumb.jpg

post-15215-0-22444400-1434470669_thumb.jpg

post-15215-0-54444900-1434470687_thumb.jpg

post-15215-0-12204100-1434470697_thumb.jpg

I'm glad Harley Davidson is bringing in a new bike, and a lot cheaper than its bigger brothers. This 750 Street looks awesome. Just R95000.

Still Trying to convince Wifey to let me buy one...

post-32956-0-52817300-1434476519_thumb.png

He is on Tik, maybe if he is asking R65k he can put a new battery in first...

Yup, would help his sale to put a battery in. Would be interested to know what that bike sold for new.

He is on Tik, maybe if he is asking R65k he can put a new battery in first...

R65K is the going price for a good YPVS - I sold mine for R50K two years ago and the guy didn't even flinch.

If you follow the 2-stroke forums on FB the prices for 2t's have gone insane - RZ500's (if you can find one in SA) will be close to R120K.....

RZ50's - yes the things we used to buy from our mates for R1000 will now go for close to R30K.

R65K is the going price for a good YPVS - I sold mine for R50K two years ago and the guy didn't even flinch.

If you follow the 2-stroke forums on FB the prices for 2t's have gone insane - RZ500's (if you can find one in SA) will be close to R120K.....

RZ50's - yes the things we used to buy from our mates for R1000 will now go for close to R30K.

Agreed. I shoulda used an emoticon ha ha but for R65k he can chuck in a battery.