Basic Etiquette - Andrew Joubert Letter in "Bicycling" This Month

Guest Zeitgeist

Could someone please paste the full text here or a link?

thanks!

sorry, found the post

Edited by nonky

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

couple of observations

Racing in the shorter distance, you are doing it wrong Andrew

Being batched behind the "funriders"...Why are these riders in front of you to start with.

Cannot pass said funriders....wait until it is save then pass, you are not Moses, cyclists won't part like the red sea in your presence.

I think Andrew should have a chat to himself....

couple of observations

Racing in the shorter distance, you are doing it wrong Andrew

Being batched behind the "funriders"...Why are these riders in front of you to start with.

Cannot pass said funriders....wait until it is save then pass, you are not Moses, cyclists won't part like the red sea in your presence.

I think Andrew should have a chat to himself....

Exactly what i was thinking....

Improve your seeding Mr Joubert. Its all about seeding.

I like to have FUN on Funrides.

Guest Zeitgeist

You don't have to go to races but if you do that's how it's gonna be - HTFU and get over it :whistling:

could not agree more - sick of these whinging wining self-entitled bike babies like Andrew Joubert - best advice - b1tch less about slow riders and ride more - maybe you will get a better seeding. Dont main if you are a donkey

Always 2 sides to a story, I spoke to a lady today and she said " I kept screaming hold your line FFS and she screamed STRAAAAVA " a few times, then she decided to OWN the BIATCH , and bumped him out the way :)

Dont worry DIPSY...i thought this was funny, even though everyone else ignored you.

I truly see nothing offensive in what he wrote. He might be70 years old and the shorter distances might actually be quite Epic for him. It also affects the long distance riders because the long and short routes invariably joins up just before the finish. It is simply a safety issue, nothing more. If it can be sorted, it will be better for all of us.

Guest Zeitgeist

He is cross that cause his rant in Feb went unheeded.

post-44041-0-46511900-1401692059_thumb.png

seems he is still riding at the back of the "fun" group and its June already. Clearly no improvement to his riding - maybe try table tennis, or snakes and ladders

I truly see nothing offensive in what he wrote. He might be70 years old and the shorter distances might actually be quite Epic for him. It also affects the long distance riders because the long and short routes invariably joins up just before the finish. It is simply a safety issue, nothing more. If it can be sorted, it will be better for all of us.

Sure its just that it smacks of self entitlement....He admits to doing "fun ride" distances, yet wants the same level of rider in the racing distances. He is bitching about factors that he can control..

Batching(ride more races, ride them harder....your results will seed you accordingly)

Shorter distance participants...these guys are there to have a good time, take in the vibe and have a gas...If you want to compete and be serious, do the right distance.

Valid point.

BUT, for me its all in the definition of the ride/Race.

Fun ride = fun riders.

Their has to be events for all skill levels for this sport to grow.

So a certain amount of Understanding from seasoned riders needs to be applied.

It can be best explained with an example...

If you are Usain Bolt, you dont enter the Slow Mag 5km fun run and expect everyone to move out of your way.

How does a hardcore roadie end up behind 'chatting couples'?

Imagine his reaction in the Open categories at the Argus. I don't think he'd take kindly to those shenanigans :D

Edited by Nick.

Dont worry DIPSY...i thought this was funny, even though everyone else ignored you.

:blush: :blush: :blush: thats why i thought i think the dr is getting old he needs READING GLASSES

He has a point, but not on a race such as the Argus where everyone is doing the same distance. The issue arises mainly when, like at the Amashova where there is a half distance race, the front batches (Elite, U23, VA-VD and even A) catch the back of these "Fun Riders". When you catch them in the last few km and the speed of the peloton is ramping up and there are fun riders that are weaving across the road it become quite scary. For every ones safety the organisers should ask back markers of these shorter distances to please be aware that they may be caught by the front groups of the main race and that it would be in their and every ones best interests to keep left where possible.

Pfft! these are roadie issues for roadies...

I say you should keep riding 6 abreast on public roads, keep disobeying basic traffic laws, keep playing the victims in these situations, keep assaulting people in their cars,keep using drugs in pro races and keep flipping the bird to people who hoot at you for cycling like a d**k.

Otherwise who else are we going to make fun of??

seems he is still riding at the back of the "fun" group and its June already. Clearly no improvement to his riding - maybe try table tennis, or snakes and ladders

He's only been cycling for 20 years... Given some time he will eventually upgrade to the longer distances.

I find it bit strange that with 20 years of experience he's surprised to find out that people at the back don't have basic skills & etiquette, and thinks that a little speech by the marshalls at the start will magically fix that.

That said, it's not the most ridiculous rant ever, don't think it really deserves it's own abusive thread on thehub...

Regardless of ego, experience, hub points, willy size etc the olde "keep left pass right" rule would make cycling better for everyone - fast or slow.