Man down on spruit - 1km North of fratellis

Daniel J Méssem

Patches is still fine as far as I know, but it was peach that broke himself. Not even at a jump/the bombhole, just some ruts at Delta I was told.

A Rut claimed a Rat?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You just know everything that's seems to go on there...

Yes a little scary the first couple of time, just don't get over confident and it is a great ride.

That bomb hole is notorious.

It claimed a fiend of mine's spine - he didn't land it properly and went over the bars, albeit with a multi-tool in his jersey pocket. Fused vertebrae. He cant MTB any more and it was about a year to get him right.

Plus i have seen a number of very sore/sick looking people sitting under trees alongside it after it has bitten them.

That thing is experts only....Time for some signs i think

Spruit Fairies ?

2 trains of thought on this.

1. Mark it as dangerous and it's almost like accepting responsibility. Anyone who still tries it and offs themselves will then grab torch and pitchfork and look for the poor do-gooder who put the sign up.

2. Spruit riders don't observe signs anyway. There are/were a few places where directional signs were added to segments on the spruit so that descending and ascending riders would not have head on collisions. These signs are/were often either ignored, or torn down.

The ideal would be a similar setup to Cascades MTB park. A big steel sign at each major point of entry stating that riders use the trails at their own risk. But being the Spruit, one would need about 50 such signs to cover all bases.

To be completely honest, there is nothing that tricky about the bombhole. Yes, it can catch one off guard, but that's mountain biking. We choose the sport for the very reason of challenging ourselves by attempting new things. And hence the golden rules.

1. look ahead. I see many Spuit riders with head down (I guess they're more concerned with their Garmins and cadence than the trail)

2. If one is unsure of it, they should roll or walk it. there is no shame in getting off ones bike and assessing a jump or drop before attempting it. (heck even World Cup Downhill legends spend a day or 2 walking a track, before even getting on their bikes). I would almost bet money that most victims of the bombhole were the result of excessive speed. That left jump is clearable with a tip-in, from stand still, at the top of the shoot, and no pedalling. And if one is short, they will just land on top and roll away.

Anyway, I don't mean to sound unsympathetic. It bites when one offs themself (and I've had my fair share of offs). My intention is to help riders be aware/prepared and prevent these sort of incidents.

Edited by patches

That bomb hole is notorious.

It claimed a fiend of mine's spine - he didn't land it properly and went over the bars, albeit with a multi-tool in his jersey pocket. Fused vertebrae. He cant MTB any more and it was about a year to get him right.

Plus i have seen a number of very sore/sick looking people sitting under trees alongside it after it has bitten them.

That thing is experts only....Time for some signs i think

Spruit Fairies ?

I dont know about that comment.

I am not expert and I have gone on the left quite a few times safely already.

Slick is a confident rider and he has now see his bum there.

I think many times it is assumed that a jump will feel

'tame' or

'the same than before' or

'it looks easy when someone else does it'

but it is clear from that jump that the above isnt true.

For me that is just starting out, I see that jump (the left side) as one of the easiest and 'safest jumps' on the spruit. I say safe because you can go super slow just to get a feel of how the launch feels.

Everyday when I aproach it for the 1st time I just roll down braking to go super slow and land on top to feel how the take-off feels. I dont ever want to be going fast and then the back kicks up unexpectedly. If I feel I want to try and improve it I go back up and let go of the brakes more and more, but then I already know what to expect.

Most peopleI have seen fall there is because they go in full spead and just jump, not knowing how that launch feels on that day. What I have seen is that those okes also dont know how far that speed they pick up down into the hole can carry them into the air and for most of them it is an unexpected feeling and that makes them loose control.

I dont think there is anything wrong with being 'weary' with a jump at first. Nothing wrong with going back and doing it again and again. I actually in a way admire these guys that isnt scared of 'just going at it', because my mind will never allow me to do that without taking all the nessesary safety precausions.

Is the guy ok? Scary reminder how a fun ride out can turn crazy.

on any cell phone 112 will connect you to emergency services - best everyone remember that .

Everytime you gooi your legs over your bike you accept that you could go home with a broken bone.

Signs won't do anything to stop this, you run out of talent, you see your koek....it is what it is.

Alternatively take up lawn bowls.

Guest notmyname

Everytime you gooi your legs over your bike you accept that you could go home with a broken bone.

Signs won't do anything to stop this, you run out of talent, you see your koek....it is what it is.

Alternatively take up lawn bowls.

Ain't that truth. Ride within your capability, nobody with any sense will judge you for walking the GNARLY stuff first.

There FIXED

Edited by small fry

Ain't that truth. Ride within your capability, nobody with any sense will judge you for walking the knarly stuff first.

In defense of the spruit rat words...

Gnarly... not knarly

or maybe its knarly when you land on your knuts

In defense of the spruit rat words...

Gnarly... not knarly

or maybe its knarly when you land on your knuts

hahaha, a frequently occuring injury for one particular Spruit Rat. Good thing he has already had children

That is the most dangerous sport in the world - highest number of participant deaths per hour....

Demmit....mind = blown

Cannot argue solid facts. :thumbup:

That is the most dangerous sport in the world - highest number of participant deaths per hour....

And never, ever get into an ambulance. Statistically more deadly than any form of motor-sport or Jo'burg taxi rides.

And never, ever get into an ambulance. Statistically more deadly than any form of motor-sport or Jo'burg taxi rides.

You sir, are a statistical genius...