GoPro captures gunpoint mountain bike robbery in Somerset West

Gerlach

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally, for the anti-firearm group, wake up!! If you don't like me carrying a firearm, keep it to yourself. Don't judge me because of MY freedom of choice.

I am not anti firearm...you can carry a bazooka and drive a panzer tank for all I care. When your freedom of choice however puts my life and those that I love at risk...I become a pig.

Until someone close to you is affected. It's called the "only happens to them" syndrome. Maybe go sit with murder detectives one day.........

Ok this is getting boring . See you Saturday at the Crusaders Bike club ?

Ok this is getting boring . See you Saturday at the Crusaders Bike club ?

Nope. Not riding this weekend. Might cycle a bit, but need a chill. The liver is having a hissy fit.

Fox, a project manager at Virgin Active’s head office in Claremont, had left Ongegund vineyard an hour and a half earlier to ride the yellow 17km route. It was windy and he was riding alone. He missed the signage and “found myself in an area where you probably don’t want to be”. According to Johan Kriegler, the trail co-ordinator, Fox missed the sign and wandered about 400m to 800m off the trail. “He’s the first person I’ve heard of who missed the sign.Cape Times http://www.iol.co.za/news/crime-courts/bike-jackers-caught-on-helmet-camera-1.1698870#.U5Ad7_oaKUk

From the article you quoted.

BS. I have also before rode the yellow route and missed the sign. I reported it both here on this site as well as to the people in the office there. So this is NOT the first time someone missed that sign. When it happened to us we almost ended up in Sir Lowry's Pass village.

Edited by Moridin

I am not anti firearm...you can carry a bazooka and drive a panzer tank for all I care. When your freedom of choice however puts my life and those that I love at risk...I become a pig.

Until the first time a firearm carrying citizen saves your butt. Then he'll be your HERO.

I say, rather carry a gun and not need it, than need it and not have it with you.

Until the first time a firearm carrying citizen saves your butt. Then he'll be your HERO.

I say, rather carry a gun and not need it, than need it and not have it with you.

Would rather neutralize a situation or even better, don't be in the situation to start with than someone wielding a gun on my behalf potentially endangering me and my loved ones. Guns are not welcome in my house, won't want to ride with someone that is carrying one either....that is my RIGHT, like it is YOUR right to have one / carry one.

Would rather neutralize a situation or even better, don't be in the situation to start with than someone wielding a gun on my behalf potentially endangering me and my loved ones. Guns are not welcome in my house, won't want to ride with someone that is carrying one either....that is my RIGHT, like it is YOUR right to have one / carry one.

To each his own.

Btw, I don't pack as much as I did before, since moving to WC. Used to be part of my daily "dress code" but then it was also a tool of my trade then.

To each his own.

Btw, I don't pack as much as I did before, since moving to WC. Used to be part of my daily "dress code" but then it was also a tool of my trade then.

:thumbup:

Malcolm Fox is a hero; for his presence of mind during this situation. Staying calm during a potentially violent attack. His actions in this situation needs no further gung-ho analysis.

The scumbag is behind bars because of Malcolm Fox, because he stayed calm the rest of you down south can ride in peace!

I salute you SIR!

Malcolm Fox is a hero...especially to his family!

Bike jackers caught on helmet camera

June 5 2014 at 07:43am

By Jonathan Ancer

http://www.iol.co.za/polopoly_fs/copy-of-ct-mountain-bike-mugging-5-42385390-1.1698866!/image/1851530986.jpg_gen/derivatives/box_300/1851530986.jpg

YOUTUBE

Three men were caught on candid camera after they allegedly robbed a mountain biker at gunpoint in Somerset West.

Related Stories

Cape Town - Malcolm Fox waited for the shot.

“I know it’s a cliché,” the 36-year-old father of two told the Cape Times on Wednesday, “but in that moment I wondered if I was about to become another statistic; if my two boys would grow up without a father.”

Fox, a victim of a bike-jacking on Saturday, captured the dramatic 59-second sequence of the armed robbery on his GoPro, which was mounted on his helmet.

Police confirmed on Wednesday that the footage led to the arrest of three suspects.

The recording shows Fox riding his bike across railway lines at Ongegund in Somerset West. It was the last kilometre of his ride when a gunman in a woollen hat ran towards him.

Fox stopped riding and dismounted. A silhouette of the rider showed him lifting his hands in surrender.

http://www.iol.co.za/polopoly_fs/iol-bike-mugging-3-42385389-1.1698869!/image/4262500322.jpg_gen/derivatives/box_300/4262500322.jpg

YOUTUBE

“Gimme your cellphone,” the gunman ordered, walking towards Fox and cocking his gun.

He grabbed Fox’s sunglasses and a pouch, containing his cellphone and keys, hanging around his neck. Fox didn’t resist.

“What else have you got? What else have you got?”

“Nothing.”

A second suspect in a cap approached and took the bike, and a third assailant, armed with a knife, frisked Fox.

The gunman peered into the camera. “He didn’t know what it was,” said Fox, “but the footage is so clear I’d hate to think he will get away with it.”

Western Cape police spokes-man Lieutenant Colonel André Traut said the footage led them to the three suspects – all aged 22. “The first suspect was arrested on Sunday at his residence in Sir Lowry’s Pass and a Luger firearm was seized. The same day another suspect was arrested, also in Sir Lowry’s Pass. The third suspect was arrested on Monday.”

The stolen cellphone and mountain bike were recovered.

The suspects appeared in court on Tuesday and will remain in custody until they return to court later this month.

Fox, a project manager at Virgin Active’s head office in Claremont, had left Ongegund vineyard an hour and a half earlier to ride the yellow 17km route. It was windy and he was riding alone.

He missed the signage and “found myself in an area where you probably don’t want to be”.

According to Johan Kriegler, the trail co-ordinator, Fox missed the sign and wandered about 400m to 800m off the trail.

“He’s the first person I’ve heard of who missed the sign. In the last two years two other cyclists have had their bikes stolen but this is the first incident where a gun has been used,” he said.

Kriegler said he was negotiating with land owners to re-route some of the trails to avoid”hot spots” and move to safer and more open areas.

“Unfortunately, riders are soft targets. Thieves are even bumping road cyclists off their bikes to steal them. But they’ve caught these three guys so this is a good advert for GoPro.”

The 59-second footage went viral on Wednesday.

Fox said he posted the incident on YouTube because he believed he acted in the right way in the situation to avoid a violent outcome.

“I told myself to keep calm. I knew I shouldn’t make any sudden movements,” he said.

However, keyboard warriors in various corners of cyberspace debated the merits of his “keep calm” approach.

“Well done for not trying to be a hero,” said Josh Isaacs.

“What a pathetic comment,” responded Lloyd Gardner. “People need to stand up for themselves and stop being bloody victims. Until people start fighting back this crap will continue.”

It was Fox’s first ride back on the trails after a five-year break and, although he’s shaken, he will ride again – but this time not alone.

Cape Times

http://www.iol.co.za...70#.U5Ad7_oaKUk

Someone please post these as GoPro Photo of the Month!

after all is said and done...with over 1 million views, I am sure he is kicking himself that he did not monetise his video.....current views equates to over 50k in monetised advertising....thats quite a lekker new bicycle!

I explained the requirements of self defense and related it to the scenario, thus justifying the use of deadly force, only to have a post refering to limited knowledge of the law posted later. We have many armchair lawyers here.

Who are these damn pesky armchair lawyers?

I see three lawyers and a candidate attorney who might log on later if his principal lets him go home.

Edited by Blackbeard

From the article you quoted.

BS. I have also before rode the yellow route and missed the sign. I reported it both here on this site as well as to the people in the office there. So this is NOT the first time someone missed that sign. When it happened to us we almost ended up in Sir Lowry's Pass village.

I have it from pretty reliable sources that the Schapenberg trail is not maintained anymore...so chances are good that the signs (and others?) are actually not there!!! Now, we're opening a whole new can of worms!!

Is the trail owner perhaps to blame?? He has a certain responsibility after all....

Edited by Cassie

I am not anti-firearm and I fully support defending your family by any means. I find the braggadocio and fear mongering objectionable. My experience is that the people that truly have skills tend not to discuss it in public.

Edited by Blackbeard