Advice: Full Sus or Hardtail?

DemitriN

2007 - 2009 approx...Anthem or Trance..26" depending on specs.. you should find something in your budget and you won't go wrong with either. Trance is nicer on technical downhills

This.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Think he asked to see if the one in classified would suit the op.Don't think it had anything to do with wheel size.

that's pretty much exactly what Hairy meant. Asked height, next mention was frame size.

There were a few responses regarding wheel size so I thought of my question which I think is still relevant?

Looking at it this way, if u stick to 26'er, u can buy a top end FS 26'er for R10K! They are selling for cheap! But in my eyes, 29'ers is the future......

Popcorn in the micro......

Please direct me to the knolly for 10k :thumbup: :whistling:

2007 - 2009 approx...Reign or Trance..26" depending on specs.. you should find something in your budget and you won't go wrong with either. Reign is nicer on technical downhills

FIXED :lol:

Old reign is like new trance,... old trance 130-140mm..

07-09 isnt that when anthems were snappers ?

Edited by 2Nutz

I started out with MTB beginning of the year, ride a very light HT. I was in two minds when I bought it, but for a number of reasons the HT won out over DS.

This morning, for the first time ever, I rode a DS. I was itching for one, but now I'm sold. Significantly softer ride, bumpy single track negotiates much easier on the body, good traction on uneven, slippery climbs. I'll miss my HT...but convinced that DS is the long-term answer.

the fuel ex and anthem x 26er bikes are two of the best 26 duel suspension bikes out there. considering the terrain you are riding the duel is the way to go.

i have ridden both those bikes and can recommend them. they will probably climb the rocky stuff better than your hardtail. i have ridden 30 to 40 bikes over the years and those are still two of my favourites.

just a note: make sure the anthem is an anthem x and i think the fuel ex issignificantly better than the top fuel just make sure it is 2007 or later(full floater sus)....imho

Ive been riding HT since I started 5 years ago currently on a SC Carbon Highball 29er with good specs which I love but rode a DS and it felt sooooo good In all areas so my mind is 80% made up to covert to DS going forward, now to sell the SC first

Get yourself a nice 2010 - 2012 Scott Spark 26 er. Its back shock can lock out so its as close to a hardtail you can get. Then if you one day want to go the 650b route there is no problem in fitting them into the Scotts frame. You can push the guy with the price you could get very close to the R10k price for a XT carbon. I have had two carbon Sparks both 2011 models one with full XT and the other XTR sold the one for R12k and the other R13k two years ago.

Maybe a stupid question, but does it really matter how tall you are? Was just thinking, everyone rides the same 29 wheels on a road bike. Or is the difference needed for the type of riding, e.g. single track, twisty turns compared to pretty much a straight line on the road.

Think he asked to see if the one in classified would suit the op.Don't think it had anything to do with wheel size.

that's pretty much exactly what Hairy meant. Asked height, next mention was frame size.

exactly that. ...Just wanting to know of the medium will work for the op

Went from a Merida HT to a 2011 Trance X and won't go back for my kind of riding at least.

The Giant Maestro system climbs very well, I most of the time don't even bother with the pro pedal or lock out.

I paid R10k a year and a half back second hand, so you shouldn't have a problem. Wouldn't go older than 2010 if you going Giant, unless it's seriously cheap.