Who else is sick at the moment?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I took a week off the bike and from the gym to recover from this little flu, sinus cleared up and felt much better today but now its in my chest... :'(

That is interesting, didnt know that.

So the bugger was unlucky enough to get nabbed in between.

He called in a bit earlier to say he is booked off until Friday so must be pretty serious.

Ja. That's the reason the CDC recommends that you take the vaccine as soon as possible when it becomes available. You also need to take it every year as the flu strains change every year.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/children.htm

I was told "once a upon a time" that you get sick from touching stuff that sick people touch then rub your eyes...how true it is i have no idea...never researched the comment...however i wash my hands a lot when around sick people...

i also dont believe in taking medicine...unless i absolutely have to...like when i had all the pins fitted in my hand...i had no choice but to take pain killers.

I have never had a flu injection.

You're constantly touching your face, unconsciously. You're hands are your main interface with the environment and your mouth and nose are the easiest access points to your body. Wash your hands more often.

Edited by arabsandals

Last year in May, I made flu shots available to those staff who wanted it in the JHB office and then ran a survey 2 months later.

25 people responded to the survey.

Of the 25 respondants 8 had the shot and of those 8, 5 took off ill in the following 60 days.

17 did not have the shot and of those 17 people, 5 took sick leave in the following 60 days.

Flu shot: 63% were sick.

No shot: 31% were sick.

What I did not track was if the guys who had the shot, were sick for a shorter period of time though.

Not s scientific study AT ALL, just and interesting observation :)

But you didn't include whether they had flu or a cold or some other sickness. Like some others have said, there is an immeasurable gulf between flu and a cold. it makes sense when you think that seasonal influenza kills hundreds of thousands of people annually, whereeas Rhinovirus (the cold) doesn't directly kill people (as far as I'm aware); although it can be implicated in lower respiratory tract "secondary" infections like pneumonia, which do kill.

Pilonidal cyst surgery last Friday. That's me off the bike for 6 weeks. Just as I was about to start testing new bikes...

But you didn't include whether they had flu or a cold or some other sickness. Like some others have said, there is an immeasurable gulf between flu and a cold. it makes sense when you think that seasonal influenza kills hundreds of thousands of people annually, whereeas Rhinovirus (the cold) doesn't directly kill people (as far as I'm aware); although it can be implicated in lower respiratory tract "secondary" infections like pneumonia, which do kill.

Yeah, I know the cold thing, as a dude pointed out earlier.

Like I said, it was not a study, it was merely an observation :) To highlight the fact that it contrary to popular belief, giving high earning staff staff flu shots doesnt address absenteeism during the winter months.

I have never lost a good soldier to flu, so again, not sure death by flu is applicable to the context of my post. In that case, I would rather spend the funds on flu shots for those who are at a higher risk of dieing from it.

One of the factories that was under my control is based in Newcastle, KZN where the air pollution was pretty bad thanks to the steel mill. This factory had double the amount of sick absentees during winter compared to our other operations. We had an on site clinic as we one does with over 500 employees and we offered free flu vaccines. The result was that of those that took the shot only 1% booked off for the flu versus the 75% that did not take the shot. We rolled this out to our other 14 operations with similar results I'm not sure if this has continued since I left but at one stage close to 2000 people were taking the flu shot every March just over 50% of our staff compliment. Comparisons with the rest of the industry showed that we were more than 50% below the norm. I have no doubt as to its efficacy.

My throat started burning this morning.

Faaark.

My burning throat morphed into a hacking cough which has now settled into my lungs producing an interesting shade of Chartreuse phlegm.

Swartberg 100 on Saturday?

I've avoided the typical colds and flu but have been suffering with something far more sinister: neck and spine "issues".

Started off with 3 weeks worth of migraines. First week just the migraines but the second week it was clearly my neck. This is one bastard of a muscle spasm if that's all it is.

I've had the whole gamut of tests done and no indications of an issue. So it's just been physio. First physio wasn't helping but the second physio is amazing.

Right now it's my third day without pain meds/anti-inflammatories/muscle relaxants and no headaches.

I've avoided any cycling whatsoever but may get back on the horse this weekend...

Luckily that USN training program I won is on ice until Waylon's schedule frees up; else it might have gone to waste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by justanotherbiker

I always laugh at people who say they have flu when they just have a cold.

A proper flu is just plain vicious and knocks you for an absolute 6.

Believe you me, I had it bad. Got Influenza 2 weeks before 36One, and I don't ever want to have it again....

Its the worse pain I had ever had. Almost worse than Malaria, which I had 3 times already.( when I was much younger.) Hot then Cold, headache etc..... :thumbdown:  :thumbdown:

But I still rode the 36One... :clap: