So I rode a 29er

fanievb

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would also be tempted to buy a 29er if I had the extra cash or could convince the Swambo to rearange our budget to suit. I think the math is simple. Pi(3.142) x (29-26) = ~9 inches per wheel rotation further for the same gear ratio and cadence between the 29 and 26. Ok the 29 is a bigger wheel (lever to get moving) but that can be offset by using longer cranks. Also if your tall your longer upper leg facilitates a longer lever to turn those cranks compared to my short legs. So except for manuverability of the 26er, the 29 will beat you over distance.

I found a noticeable difference in overall feel and handling entry level 29ers compared to higher spec.

On 2 occasions I have briefly tried out my brothers 29 er, since I mainly ride a 160mm enduro/freeride bike,

or a 26 er anthem, I did notice its more stable, and must be faster.

I am not to fussed about my time in races , so not in a rush to justify why I need one.

Need to break the anthem, to give me a reason!

Leaning more towards a 650b .

I found a noticeable difference in overall feel and handling entry level 29ers compared to higher spec.

Erm. .. that would generally be due to the suspension specced on the higher end stuff when comparing bikes from the same model range. Nothing earth shattering there...

Over the years the collection slowly built up so today I have a 26" HT and DS as well as a 29" HT and DS. (Plus a road bike and a SS)

Enjoy all of them. Which I think is the point after all? Should we not ride more and debate less??

Amen brother

Had 2 x 29er ht ss bikes, they were built up with the exact same components as I merely swapped out the frames.

Frame one was a lighter frame but the geo was leaning more to stable than nimble.

Frame two was a fair bit heavier, but the geo was world's better with shorter stays and a front end that tracked well. This bike was definately quick in tight st and is missed.

Had 3 x 26er ht ss frames that were built up with various build kits and the frames were either very xc biased or more trail orientated as per my current bike. They all have their pros and cons.

I do miss the 29er and do want one again, a project that will surely come along again in the not to distant future.

As per previous post s you surely do get crappy bikes and great bikes in all wheel formats.

My thoughts on 29ers .... recon of you are a rider with good explosive leg power or strength then you should not be at a loss on climbs.....unless you are climbing really ridiculous alpine terrain .....

I would also be tempted to buy a 29er if I had the extra cash or could convince the Swambo to rearange our budget to suit. I think the math is simple. Pi(3.142) x (29-26) = ~9 inches per wheel rotation further for the same gear ratio and cadence between the 29 and 26. Ok the 29 is a bigger wheel (lever to get moving) but that can be offset by using longer cranks. Also if your tall your longer upper leg facilitates a longer lever to turn those cranks compared to my short legs. So except for manuverability of the 26er, the 29 will beat you over distance.

I think someone doesn't understand how gearing works...

A 29" wheel does not roll through as large an arch as a 26" whel for the same gear ratio because the wheel is part of the gearing. You have altered the gearing...

Over the years the collection slowly built up so today I have a 26" HT and DS as well as a 29" HT and DS. (Plus a road bike and a SS)

Enjoy all of them. Which I think is the point after all? Should we not ride more and debate less??

problem is we are being sold down the river with the 29er marketing BS. Its just a bigger wheel and does not add any speed. Want more speed then get fitter and produce more power. Its just a wheel thats 3" bigger in diameter. It therefore alters your final drive ratio. to push a bigger gear you need to fitter and stronger. Simple really

problem is we are being sold down the river with the 29er marketing BS. Its just a bigger wheel and does not add any speed. Want more speed then get fitter and produce more power. Its just a wheel thats 3" bigger in diameter. It therefore alters your final drive ratio. to push a bigger gear you need to fitter and stronger. Simple really

Think you miss some of the physics behind a bigger wheel. If you're argument is valid why are you not riding a 20"?

Guest Zeitgeist

Intro

I bent and broke a Mavic Crossmax spoke on my faithful Giant XTC2 a week or so ago, had it fixed on the same day as I had the Henderson Valley MTB race the next day. So on Tuesday I take the wheel to the LBS for some proper fixing and re-tensioning.

This spoke is the first to be replaced on the wheel and as a result the other nipples have been left untouched for the last 4 years, and they are seized solid. Spokes needed cutting and new ones were ordered but will only arrive after the long weekend.

So bikeless, the dullness forecast for the long weekend seemed to be certain. As any proper social media user would do, I voiced my depression and loneliness on twitter/facebook/google+ within minutes I get a facebook PM from the friendly LBS owner; “pop in tomorrow morning and take the loan bike for the weekend” (see why you need to establish a good relationship with your LBS?)

So Saturday morning after my spin, during which I broke a spoke on my Easton EA50 (talk about crap luck :cursing: ), I go visit the LBS to pick up the loan bike and take in said wheel for repairs.

The Bike

Merida TFS 500 with wheels bigger that my car! (I drive a Suzuki Jimny) (Deore derailleurs, alivio shifters, tektro brakes, recon silver fork)

The Ride

What follows is the short version of my first experience with the craze called 29er;

First impressions, good looking geometry and nice lines, but heavy as a bulldozer.

Loading the thing was a mission as, in my haste to get to the bike shop with my road wheel, I forgot to load my bike rack. :blush:

Bike eventually loaded I drive home with this thing taking up 75.2% of the leftover space in my car.

Arriving home I quickly set-up the bike (saddle, shifter position etc.), fit some pedals and go for a spin around the neighbourhood hoping none of my mates see me on this monstrosity. :eek:

Monday morning we head out to the local trail for some proper testing with the following results,

1. It really does roll over anything

2. Its heavy in the corners

3. Climbing not that much different

4. It doesn’t like the tight stuff

5. It likes going high and fast on berms

Final Verdict

I am still not 100% convinced that I’ll buy one (even if I had the bucks) that being said, I think my opinion may have been different had I tested a higher specced bike, but we’ll have to wait and see.

For now I can't wait to get back my wheel and go ride a proper bike. :ph34r:

get a better car

get a better car

you want to take me on?

p.s. you probably drive a hilux or a discovery? you won't make it

get a better car

Those Jimny's has excellent 4x4 capabilities, and here in the Eastern Cape with the wild coast on our doorstep. it makes it quite a great car.

Think you miss some of the physics behind a bigger wheel. If you're argument is valid why are you not riding a 20"?

That is quite simply an Argument from incredulity (you don't understand the underlying principle, so you try and discredit it by throwing out something so ridiculous in order to undermine the physics behind the initial argument - IE: You don't understand, it, so it must be wrong)

Quite simple, really. A frame large enough to support a grown man / woman, based on 20" rims would not only look ridiculous, it'd have its own inherent handling characteristics that would make it far twitchier and less stable than a 26" bike.

When I bought my carbon 29er, I kept my 26 inch Merida 96 and swore I would use a horses for courses approach as to which bike to ride! Well my Merida has not been ridden since! Love my Hardtail 29er!