First time I missed my 26er

CraigCCW

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...and why does everyone say, "I upgraded to a 29er"?

It's not an upgrade, it just has different size wheels.It's the bike design and componentry that matters.

It's like saying I "upgraded" from an Audi A4 with 16" wheels to a Corolla with 18" wheels.

Your analogy does not work, firstly the design and componentry of most 29ers are upgraded from previous years 26ers, as in current SLX is old XT, etc so it is an upgrade.

Secondly by using Audi A4 and Corolla you are downgrading no question but getting bigger wheels on a car allows the car to take corners faster but uses more fuel and more power to get the same rolling speed, not so on a 29er.

But I get what you are trying to say. :whistling:

Thank you for sharing... your information is not helping my decision making one one bit! :thumbup:

Keep your 26er and get a new 29er - that's what I did - don't regret it one little bit

It is no different on a motorbike it is just not as pronounced. The only difference is the source of power the rest is all the same.
I know and understand that.

The effect of countersteering on a motorbike is turning in faster and dropping the bike down into the corner faster with less force as the gravitational forces on the bike do the work for you, it is less pronounced due to the speed at which you are travelling,IE you don't need to steer as much, just a little will do. Same as turning a corner in a car, the higher the speed the less you need to physically turn the wheel to get around the corner.

We have all been countersteering since we were tiny tots and many have forgotten as it is subconscious no matter how subtle, my 2 year old countersteers his little bike yet I struggle, go figure.

I am not technical enough to comment on cpt armpies mayhem's wheelbase theory but there is certainly more visibly pronounced countersteering in MotoGP exiting the corner than when entering it, even when the front wheel is off the ground Cause and effect of throttle control and once again centrifugal forces and C of G. The difference is the countersteering is to "counter" the rear wheel slide and force the bike into the corner.

Yoh...2c

I use counter steering as I bring it across from motorbiking. It's (in my opinion) only really effective due to the gyro effect of the front wheel when you destabilize it at higher speeds, and the bike turns due to the smaller diameter on the outside of the wheel. Not sure about the wheelbase argument, all my years at racing courses I've never come across it.

Either or, still only forms a small part of the input to turn on a bicycle, and body position, bike lean angle etc are more important.

Edited by IdeJongh

Okay... humble pie time for me. Scuppered by my own experiment.

Turning the bars away from the direction of your turn, mid corner, DOES shorten your wheelbase. What it doesn't do is aid counter steering as the wheels orientation resists the turn and you will fall your gat off.

So. Fabian46, you were right, mostly, and I was mostly wrong.

Turning the bars away from the direction of your turn, mid corner, DOES shorten your wheelbase. What it doesn't do is aid counter steering as the wheels orientation resists the turn and you will fall your gat off.

"Don't listen to Mayhem" - Banna, 25 June 2014 ;)

Thanks for the feedback, I will have to practice more with my technique on my 29er.

Have to agree, technically a 29er should have more grip in the corners, and this has certainly been my experiance - does take practice though

You just want to eat pies again :whistling:

I still use my trusty Giant Trans X1 26er to train during the week and still enjoy it tremendously. I converted it to a 1 X 10 and it is awesome bike to play with. The ONLY downfall these days.....Tubeless Tyres become really scares now. :eek:

You didn't have to say anything you know. :whistling:

My opinion is still entering turn will help but it would need to be adjusted fairly soon, mid corner will hamper.