• Martin Scorsese
    • Ridley Scott
    • M. Night Shyamalan
    • Steven Spielberg
    • Quentin Tarantino
    • Orson Welles
    • Edgar Wright
    • Michael Bay

Ther have been some great movies. But we should never forget about Lion King ;)

Also some other other enjoyable animations, Brother Bear, Ice Age, Tarzan, road to eldorado... mind you I enjoy most animations.

Yah, the lion King was superb, an absolute hit in Europe. I was in France when it was released and all these Frenchies were walking around the streets singing Hakuna Matata. :lol: it was crazy.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a movie on circuit atm, called the Fault in our stars - not the kind of thing i usually watch but i had some hours to kill and i thought rather a RomCom than a skiet and donner - was actually pleasantly surprised. A beautiful poignant movie about love and life experiences - a line out of the movie -

"You don't get to choose if you get hurt in this world...but you do have some say in who hurts you"

if you can handle a tissue movie - it's a good watch.

Denis Hopper

Easy Rider (1969). what a great film.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/bc/Hopper_Rider.jpg/220px-Hopper_Rider.jpg

then later as the photographer in Apocalypse Now (1979), Lynch's Blue Velvet and many others

Was actually a photographer back before he made movies - exhibition of his pics now on the London

And David Lynch, should we go there? Only if you want to take a walk on the dark side

Indeed, "Easy Rider" was great, I have it on DVD and still often pull it out and watch it. I must have seen it 6,7,8 times, never gets boring.

I thought of including it here, but its very much a cult movie, a kind of start to the Motorcycle gang lifestyle if you like and not to everybody taste, plus its from the 70's and I am guessing many folk here weren't even born then. :blush:

easy rider....responsible for one of the most misquoted quotes that don't even happen in the movie.....the "you gotta be free" speech...everyone thinks it is from Easy Rider because Peter Fonda says it in Wild Angels...and by assumption, because Easy Rider is more popular everyone always thinks its from Easy Rider

Indeed, "Easy Rider" was great, I have it on DVD and still often pull it out and watch it. I must have seen it 6,7,8 times, never gets boring.

I thought of including it here, but its very much a cult movie, a kind of start to the Motorcycle gang lifestyle if you like and not to everybody taste, plus its from the 70's and I am guessing many folk here weren't even born then. :blush:

Sure its a cult movie and not for everyone - but it being a bikers movie is a misconception, although that's the popular image. Certainly due to that iconic poster image of them on their choppers, but as the story plays out, and they cut across the states on their freedom ride to the Madi Gras so they encounter the wrath of conservative America and southern prejudices in particular, who were untouched by the freedom movement of the East coast, and you have to admit it has a shocking unexpected ending,

http://youtu.be/5F5zJTTj_QI

They (Peter Fonda, Hopper, Nicholson) earlier did The Trip which was a bit-more full-on counter culture and more off the wall, Easy Rider was a bit more palatable to the mainstream, but not a lot lol esp. the acid trip scene in the cemetery

Edited by kosmonooit

Hey speaking of bikes.. Harley Davidson and the Marlborough man.

Now this was a bikers movie

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/16300000/The-Wild-One-classic-movies-16378670-410-500.jpg

and this

http://www.originalprop.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/terminator-2-judgment-day-poster-publicity-one-sheet-photo-arnold-schwarzenegger-01.jpg

Sure its a cult movie and not for everyone - but it being a bikers movie is a misconception, although that's the popular image. Certainly due to that iconic poster image of them on their choppers, but as the story plays out, and they cut across the states on their freedom ride to the Madi Gras so they encounter the wrath of conservative America and southern prejudices in particular, who were untouched by the freedom movement of the East coast, and you have to admit it has a shocking unexpected ending,

It does indeed.

I still think the underground biker movement, especially in the USA, was largely influenced by Easy Rider, it spoke to the social influences at the time and the care free hippy generation of flowers, music and LSD, I am not sure it would have achieved such iconic status had they been driving a suburban Ford station-wagon, it was, to me anyway, the beginning of the real biker outlaw era.

Think I need to go pull it out and watch it again, maybe tonight. :lol:

Yes, and no - hippies tended to be pacifist peace loving (until the meth drove them nuts) - not the typical stereotyped bikers, back in my day it was about 'gangs' and 'turf' and generally causing trouble

Grumps have you seen The WIld One?

Yes, and no - hippies tended to be pacifist peace loving (until the meth drove them nuts) - not the typical stereotyped bikers, back in my day it was about 'gangs' and 'turf' and generally causing trouble

Grumps have you seen The WIld One?

No I haven't actually, I read the story line there, looks quite interesting. I wonder if its still available as a dvd or something.?

Yup, still is, i got a copy a while back. You can find any movie on DVD really if you are prepared to pay and wait, on-line that is (amazon.co.uk is a good place) Otherwise there is the t&rr@nt$ (cough splutter, not that I want to I encourage or condone that, but it is what it is)

But wouldn't it be amazing if one could (legitimately) watch such classics on the impulse, to follow a director or actor, that's what netflix is about apparently although we don't get it here in SA (there are ways and means though) and I am not sure if these on-line services cater for the classics and the arty flicks, more the mainstream block bu$ters I guess. The technology to store and stream, or at least feed for later viewing, is long-time here already.

The technology of the torrents is amazing and well suited, it would be an idea if the publishers could embrace that, so with say a subscription service one could d/l legitimately, and store in ones collection,

Is the DVD Rental shop dead? been a while since I last rented, and don't know of any that catered for the art / classic movie lovers, in this country anyway.

Edited by kosmonooit