• Ridley Scott
    • M. Night Shyamalan
    • Steven Spielberg
    • Quentin Tarantino
    • Orson Welles
    • Edgar Wright
    • Michael Bay

Guest EdEdEd

Haven't read The Hobbit so maybe I'm not qualified to comment. But I thought the simpler story is more suited to a movie even if the director had to make things up to fill out the story as opposed to the LOTR books which frankly had way too much going to put in 3 movies and ended up an confusing disjointed mix for anyone who didn't read the books.

So I actually enjoy the Hobbit movies much more than the original LOTR movies.

The movies mean nothing without the books and (very important) all the addendums to the books!

Ive read all the books, then watched the movies and have repeated this... Think ive done the loop 5 times now...

Will do the same with the hobbit...

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Found inglorious bastards got him back onto track, i thought he may have been straying from the path with kill bills.

Django was also excellent. Specially QT as an aussie...

I also thiught django did not have the full impact on the south african audience given our history.

Perhaps it was just me.

Anyone watch man with the ireon fists?

**** movie, but theeeee best collection of beautifull wimmin i have ever seen in one movie.

Talking American Skiet, Skop and Donner, how about Oliver Stone's controversial Natural Born Killers with Woody Harrelson? (based on a screenplay written by Quentin Tarantino) - kinda comments/reflects on the media frenzy over killers (made around the time of the OJ Simpson story), I thought it was an excellent production, with good acting and cinematography.

http://images.popmatters.com/film_art/n/nautralbornkillers-splsh.jpg

"Stone has continually maintained that the film is a satire on how serial killers are adored by the media for their horrific actions and that those who claim that the violence in the movie itself is a cause of societal violence miss the point of the movie"

And Woody Harrelson in No Country for Old Men - eish that was a dark film if there ever was one.

Edited by kosmonooit

Has anyone mentioned. 'Enter the Dragon' yet?

I watched it the other day again.. may not be the best movie of all time but sure as hell turned all kids into Bruce Lee.

I kinda like old movies

anyone seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G__P3FjAtEk

Wow, my parents worked on the set of Hatari!! They lived on Mount Meru & my dads folks lived in Arusha. Apparently almost everyone in town worked on the set!! My dad was in the Game Department & he and his friend helped with locating animals etc. He even played poker with John Wayne! He & my mom wrote to Red Buttons & Hardy Kruger for many years afterwards. If my mom digs deep into her photo albums she'll probably find all the pics if that time. We used to love listening to all their stories when we were kids.

Ooh and Cape Fear.

You know I only watched ET from start to finish a couple of years ago.. my folks took us to watch it at the drive in when I was about 4/5 and the first sight of ET I freaked out and hid behind the car seat..

Has anyone mentioned. 'Enter the Dragon' yet?

I watched it the other day again.. may not be the best movie of all time but sure as hell turned all kids into Bruce Lee.

Total classic - and paved the way for martial arts in movies, Jackie Chan took it to another level of entertainment. That mass martial art fight scene in Kill Bill I posted was inspired by this style.

I actually saw that when it came out with my bros (about '72 /'73?) at the Constantia bioscope in Benoni, we all made 'em nujaka (sp?) sticks thereafter. Then he suddenly died and became a legend. I recently got a remastered BluRay copy.

That mirror fight scene is one of the greatest, possibly drew on the mirror scene in Charlie Chaplins "The Circus", which is a great movie for kids btw. And Chaplins "A dog's life"

http://factsanddetails.com/media/2/20080304-EntertheDragonMirror%20wiki.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-VcBiPexFVWA/Urx9IDezEjI/AAAAAAAAA4w/AGdvPdYEbZk/s640/circus+sombror2.jpg

Edited by kosmonooit

And Woody Harrelson.

I am a huge harrelson fan... His excellence in movies and tv are too many to Mention. Is you ever want to watch a dark comedy with him then defendor is a must.

edit....and not to forget two ther dark comedies with him:

the big white and scorched

Was never a fan of natural born killers though

defendor...

Edited by Stretch

Enjoyed natural born killers.

Another movie one has to mention is true romance.

The movie is littered with epic scenes, performances by well known actors aplenty with comedy and vioence.

The movie is littered with epic scenes, performances by well known actors aplenty with comedy and vioence.

just what would have been if QT had directed it....i know there is a story behind that..just too tired to look for it

The movies mean nothing without the books and (very important) all the addendums to the books!

Ive read all the books, then watched the movies and have repeated this... Think ive done the loop 5 times now...

Will do the same with the hobbit...

Maybe Peter Jackson should have gone the Game of Thrones route and did a big budget TV series or 3 instead of trying to cram everything into 3 movies, after reading some of the GoT books I'm mightily impressed on how well the producers pulled off putting a complex story on tv, and you don't need to read the books to enjoy the tv series but it's nice to pick up some details that people who didn't read the books won't.

I read the first LOTR book after seeing the first movie but it was so much torture so didn't bother with the rest.

Ther have been some great movies. But we should never forget about Lion King ;)

Also some other other enjoyable animations, Brother Bear, Ice Age, Tarzan, road to eldorado... mind you I enjoy most animations.

Talking American Skiet, Skop and Donner, how about Oliver Stone's controversial Natural Born Killers with Woody Harrelson? (based on a screenplay written by Quentin Tarantino) - kinda comments/reflects on the media frenzy over killers (made around the time of the OJ Simpson story), I thought it was an excellent production, with good acting and cinematography.

http://images.popmatters.com/film_art/n/nautralbornkillers-splsh.jpg

"Stone has continually maintained that the film is a satire on how serial killers are adored by the media for their horrific actions and that those who claim that the violence in the movie itself is a cause of societal violence miss the point of the movie"

And Woody Harrelson in No Country for Old Men - eish that was a dark film if there ever was one.

The genesis of True Romance began with a 50 page script by Roger Avary titles The Open Road. Avary described the plot as being about "an odd couple relationship between an uptight business man and an out-of-control hitch-hiker who travel into a Hellish mid-Western town together." When he had trouble finishing it, he asked his friend and fellow Video Archives clerk, Quentin Tarantino, to give it a shot. After several weeks, Quentin handed him over 500 hand-written pages of, what Roger Avary described as "the Bible of pop culture." Roger typed and edited the behemoth, working with Quentin on further story ideas. According to a Film Threat article from 1994, the final script was a combination of True Romance and Natural Born Killers (1994). Reportedly, it followed Quentin's original NBK script until after the prison riot. After escaping, Mickey and Mallory decide to find and kill the screenwriter who wrote the glitzy Hollywood movie about their exploits. The writer goes on the run, and True Romance was the movie he writes while trying to evade the two psychotic killers. It was told in trademark Tarantino chapter fashion, out of chronological order. When it became obvious that the miniseries-length script would never sell, they split the two stories into separate movies.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108399/trivia?ref_=tt_trv_trv