• Martin Scorsese
    • Ridley Scott
    • M. Night Shyamalan
    • Steven Spielberg
    • Quentin Tarantino
    • Orson Welles
    • Edgar Wright
    • Michael Bay

Based on a book, and not a book about Hoffa per se but the life of, well the Irishman, Frank Sheeran...the different relationships he had with various people, of course we don't know if his recollection of event are 100% accurate though.

I thought it was a story very well told.

Each to his own though

Pesci was fantastic some of his best work.

I did not know that. 

I looked it up and found another little gem Russel Bufalino's wiki page

Turns out the Mafia even dabbled in who portrayed them in the movies.

In 1972, after singer Al Martino had the role of Johnny Fontane in The Godfather stripped from him and given to Vic Damone, he went to Bufalino, his godfather, who then orchestrated the publication of various news articles that claimed director Francis Ford Coppola was unaware of producer Albert S. Ruddy giving Martino the part.[25] Damone eventually dropped the role because he did not want to provoke the mob, in addition to being paid too little.[26][25] Ultimately, the part of Johnny Fontane was given to Martino.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not know that.

I looked it up and found another little gem Russel Bufalino's wiki page

Turns out the Mafia even dabbled in who portrayed them in the movies.

In 1972, after singer Al Martino had the role of Johnny Fontane in The Godfather stripped from him and given to Vic Damone, he went to Bufalino, his godfather, who then orchestrated the publication of various news articles that claimed director Francis Ford Coppola was unaware of producer Albert S. Ruddy giving Martino the part.[25] Damone eventually dropped the role because he did not want to provoke the mob, in addition to being paid too little.[26][25] Ultimately, the part of Johnny Fontane was given to Martino.

Aaah yes the "Golden age" of entertainment..the mafia had their fingers in ALL of the pies..

The connection between The Rat Pack and the Mafia is also well documented ...fascinating stuff actually.

The connection between The Rat Pack and the Mafia is also well documented ...fascinating stuff actually.

That's actually something I did know. Most of our wedding music was rat pack.

That's actually something I did know. Most of our wedding music was rat pack.

The era of the Mafia has always interested me so much....I find it all very fascinating and I probably romanticise it a bit[emoji2356]

watched another great movie last night. Resistance. 

Tonight's feature length moving picture will be Parasite.

Can't wait to see Parasite.  :thumbup:

I am gonna stream Moffie tonight... 12 quid which is expensive but i been wanting to see it since i heard about it

In a similar vein, Kanarie is well worth a look. If you have done national service, you will see that they get the Korporale spot on - total d**ses.

In a similar vein, Kanarie is well worth a look. If you have done national service, you will see that they get the Korporale spot on - total d**ses.

Thanks i want to watch this one as well. 

If you were in the ZA military at any point , this movie Moffie is a must see. its incredibly powerful... nevermind the sexual aspect of the movie ,its a sideline. 

We were played, plain and simple. 

Also watched extraction...10 million gun fights...5000 fights over guns....a few heartfelt moments with the whole "memory of the child" scenes ripped straight from gladiator. Meh

Watched it last night fell asleep towards the end. The fact that I haven't even bothered to go and check out the ending says it all.

Loved the hot indian actress though. (are we still allowed to say this without getting into trouble?)

Took me three sessions to get through it, with a lot of browsing on the phone at the same time.

I watched this too...not as hard hitting as moffie but a great fliek too....  recommended.