Do you do squads?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless you have a serious strength issue, doinbg squats will do very very little for your cycling. All you get is bigger muscles = more weight to carry up the hills and maybe you will look good on the beach.

If you are a track sprinter or 500m 1000m timetrial rider, then doing leg work helps, for road riding you will get better results by cycling an extra 30 min per day.

If you can squat down till your knees are at 90 deg, then you have enough strenght to cycle. Its not the leg strength that is holding you back, its fitness and adaptation.

Unless you have a serious strength issue, doinbg squats will do very very little for your cycling. All you get is bigger muscles = more weight to carry up the hills and maybe you will look good on the beach.

If you are a track sprinter or 500m 1000m timetrial rider, then doing leg work helps, for road riding you will get better results by cycling an extra 30 min per day.

If you can squat down till your knees are at 90 deg, then you have enough strenght to cycle. Its not the leg strength that is holding you back, its fitness and adaptation.

Nonsense, this cyclist has found squats to by highly beneficial:

http://i.imgur.com/clgln.jpg

It helps me a lot. Especially when descending on my mtb.

I would rather have legs like Peter Sagan than those of Chris Froome . And no , I am not g#y.

Currently I'm in worse shape than the Spanish Football team, but when I'm not being a lazy ass, I do squats and deadlifts to help my aging carcass handle my bike. I squat 50-80% of my 70 odd kg bodyweight and deadlift 60-100% of the same, using free weights(obviously with deadlift). Once in a while, I do a few heavy reps. In general, I find light-medium weight training invaluable for improving stability, strength, balance and overall everythingness.

Yeah i do squats...but body weight squats...so no weights...no machines. I have a leg regimen i do once a week that involves variations of squats and lunges. I dont only do cycling so cycling helps me very little in my other activities which require a bit more explosive power.

So its a mix for me...but i stay away from the weights...your training needs to be functional.

When I still played rugby, squats and straight leg deadlifts. couldnt beat those!

Now, all you need to do is ride more, but I'm considering going back to the gym for overall body workouts.

Currently I'm in worse shape than the Spanish Football team, but when I'm not being a lazy ass, I do squats and deadlifts to help my aging carcass handle my bike. I squat 50-80% of my 70 odd kg bodyweight and deadlift 60-100% of the same, using free weights(obviously with deadlift). Once in a while, I do a few heavy reps. In general, I find light-medium weight training invaluable for improving stability, strength, balance and overall everythingness.

I think any training is beneficial. Cant just do cycling, cyclists dont exactly have the best physique, you dont see them on the cover of Mens Health or fitness magazines. I am sure they dont care, but I am not a pro and when I go to the beach I would rather look more like Ronaldo or Pat Lambie than chris Froome.

Nonsense, this cyclist has found squats to by highly beneficial:

http://i.imgur.com/clgln.jpg

Its like a lactic acid suppressant AD ... :w00t:

If we are talking about squats then no, I dont. I do however squat often to get something out of the fridge

Those beer-squats do build the most impressive legs (if you can see them over the beerboep, that is... :devil: )

......and then for every FRIDAY......BALL-SQUATS.......good for balance, core functioning, muscle pumping, smiling, grinning, etc, etc,.......

post-41755-0-14413400-1403854862_thumb.jpg

Edited by BarHugger