Sani2c 2015

Gringo

Cost is getting insane for what you get, but its supply and demand... people are willing to shell out that kind of cash.

Im all in for guys making a profit, how much sponsorship is paid... Its gotta be in the ballpark of R2m and then entry fees on top of that from all the riders?

Kudos to the organisers though

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The business model is quite sound, and I respect that. 11K8 x ~2100 teams across the three races equals roughly R 24 mil. Good turnover for an average farming operation - if in this case you're simply farming cyclists. It all works, and I have no problem with that per-se. A lot of that goes back into improving the farm and purchasing more farming land like Glencairn to turn into a wedding venue in the off-season. It improves the conditions all around.

The real and only challenge comes when you drop the ball on quality - any quality really - because then unfortunately you simply p-ss people off. Now if the event was always known for amongst other things cheap rip off clothing hand-outs, then that would be OK too, but if you clearly take care for a couple of years in a row, then drop the ball, well that possibly creates more damage than the quick R300 buck saving you got away with.

But hey, we each make a choice for the consequences we are willing to endure.

In my opinion, it has become a vehicle for the sponsors to entertain clients.

We all know the huge amounts of corporates that are into cycling, for each rand of sponsorship, the sponsors wants their pound of flesh. And this ROI is not by awareness, or getting new members to open a bank account.

To me it seems like the paying plebs,  almost subsidise all the other corporate clients/guests. A stated earleir, clothing that was previously of the best standard, now is shunted to save some ZAR's. But if you are a corporate client, you get spoilt seperately in an area reserved for the "clients" only.

But, like chukky said, supply and demand. Untill the people vote with their wallet, the model will keep on evolving to suit the sponsors.

Kit looks pretty poor...glad I have my cupboard full of salmon jackets..Hand two really useful lightweight jackets..I see none of that this year....the three years I have done it I have got 3 jackets and 2 shirts and beanie every year..........anyway.....apparently it's sleeting in underberg

Kit looks pretty poor...glad I have my cupboard full of salmon jackets..Hand two really useful lightweight jackets..I see none of that this year....the three years I have done it I have got 3 jackets and 2 shirts and beanie every year..........anyway.....apparently it's sleeting in underberg

I got 4 sets of the good kit

Hate to be the guy who said it,,,,,but there has been a decline and I've done a few to compare, yes they make money, yes they sell out and yes they have waiting lists,,,does not mean they need to drop the ball ,,,,if you have never done the ride/race/adventure /trail before you will be blown away,,if you have done it previously you WILL SEE THE CRACKS

Sani2c used to be the gold standard, best

Goodie bags, most character, most desired! This year I think they are starting to look cheap. It's not just about the Jackets, the race villages, great trails. its about the whole experience. Their strategy should be to never compromise on the standard of the previous year. You either keep it the same or add value.

Damn it's cold up here.

So the dropper post didn't survive Khulula. Anybody coming up in the morning with a 31.6 seatpost?

Please let me know if anyone's got a spare lying around. All the bike shops / mechanics are packed up and probably drinking O B S to keep warm.

Damn it's cold up here.

So the dropper post didn't survive Khulula. Anybody coming up in the morning with a 31.6 seatpost?

Please let me know if anyone's got a spare lying around. All the bike shops / mechanics are packed up and probably drinking O B S to keep warm.

Damn it's cold up here.

I can bring one with if you want? Should be there by 5pm tomorrow.

Throw me a PM...

Sani2c used to be the gold standard, best

Goodie bags, most character, most desired! This year I think they are starting to look cheap. It's not just about the Jackets, the race villages, great trails. its about the whole experience. Their strategy should be to never compromise on the standard of the previous year. You either keep it the same or add value.

although in all fairness - last years chill zones were awesome ...as were the new showers at jolivet...and on facebook I have seen that jolivet has an entire new hall which was much needed...so while they are skimping on the take homes..the whole race experience has been improved or at least not compromised

although in all fairness - last years chill zones were awesome ...as were the new showers at jolivet...and on facebook I have seen that jolivet has an entire new hall which was much needed...so while they are skimping on the take homes..the whole race experience has been improved or at least not compromised

Everything is relative. Last Sani I did was 2010. We had to wash our own bikes. Showers were old sheds with donkeys providing the heat. The clothing was awesome though - Salomon year!

I have two friends riding this year so I'll be watching the results with interest.

Can also send seatpost, but I assume you require for the trail? My missus is leaving at 6:30 am which means they will prob be there around lunchtime.

Damn it's cold up here.

PM sent.

Damn it's cold up here.

I will check back at 04:00. If needed I can bring a post.

Archived