No Daryl Impey for Tour de France - Positive Test Result

shifter

By competitively inhibiting excretion, the drugs stays in the bloodstream longer and is not excreted in the urine, hence masking the drug in a urine test. It is in your system, just not in your urine ( or less will be present in your urine). My previous post was not clear. Apologies Sheriff.

Sorry if it looked as if I was referring to you :thumbup:

I must say it does speak of masking ,but in actual fact it also increases the plasma concentration of some drugs, thus my logic tells me they should have found Probenecid and something else.

I see it is also used to prolong some penicillins and antibiotics.

I am not trying to vouch for Darryl, but there is a very high probability he could have ingested this unknowingly.

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, what you're describing is a diuretic. This is a uricosuric (that is it encourages the kidneys to get rid of uric acid at the expense of other drugs) hence the other drugs are not excreted in the urine at a normally expected rate.

It does not make you urinate more.

thanks for clearing that up :thumbup:

So what this will all eventually come down to is that he is either guilty of doping (taking it willingly) or stupidity (taking it by accident).

Either way, his career is in the toilet.

Probenicid has a half life of 4-17hrs depending on dose. Extensively metabolised in the liver and metabolites and 5-10% unchanged drug excreted in the urine.

We usually use this drug to treat Gout. It will improve clearance of uric acid and certain drugs via the kidneys, hence previously used as a masking agent.

Poor choice of masking agent these days as so easy to detect. So unlikely anyone with a brain would use it as a masking agent.

If found in very low concentrations I would not rule out contamination of other medications in the manufacturing process...just saying

Is that even possible...surely pharmaceutical companies have stringent measures in place to prevent this?

Is that even possible...surely pharmaceutical companies have stringent measures in place to prevent this?

Jis one would think so.. hell imagine someone dying because of contamination. (Reaction to a drug)

Edited by Gen

Depends on its method of clearance and whether it is fat or water soluble. But a safeish estimate is usually around 5x the half life of the drug, which is 2-6 hours dosage dependent.

So the potential defence of testing clean after the road race at champs would pretty much be out the window?

Yes wont make a difference to his sentence but for myself I would like to know was it tiny traces that are a non issue in reality or was it large doses which would only mean cheating if my understanding is correct.

Amount found is noT relevant IMO. Was there and shouldn't be there. Could have been the last few traces leaving his system, only time will tell. I am hoping he is clean but we wait and see.

Amount found is noT relevant IMO. Was there and shouldn't be there. Could have been the last few traces leaving his system.

same with contador and clen

You get that from your boet's article for tomorrow?

As a pariah, you may not be privy to some of the background chatter...well, apart from that with you and your boet :P

Sheesh... I see Probenecid has been prohibited in- and out-of-competition since 1987.

Misuse in sports:

The intake of probenecid causes the body to retain substances, anabolic steroids for example, longer and to excrete them at a slower rate. It can consequently become more difficult to detect the substances in analysis. Probenecid has been prohibited in- and out-of-competition since 1987.

So the potential defence of testing clean after the road race at champs would pretty much be out the window?

Yeah I would think so. Just on the fact that it doesn't take that long to get of your system anyway. Hence other peoples (correct IMHO) claims that any amount is too much, as it could have just been picked up on the back end of the plasma concentration curve.

It would be hard to explain accidental ingestion. It is used for very well defined situations. Would highly unlikely be in other drugs or food. Doubt that concentrations will save anybody. Looks grim from the outside.

another interesting question is how come he gooied his toys when there was no selection for CWG knowing that he has this sword over his head....