Crazy bike prices

gummibear

What do you say about the "Carbon Chinese Frames" is it FUjong or Hivi frames.I can buy a R1 + 6 Frames and a nice groupset and still have money to keep wifie happy hehehehe

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Me, 1987/88, i went to the US for a year and came home with change

Went to the US in 1983, exchange rate was almost 1 : 1. In fact I think that our rand was slightly stronger.

What do you say about the "Carbon Chinese Frames" is it FUjong or Hivi frames.I can buy a R1 + 6 Frames and a nice groupset and still have money to keep wifie happy hehehehe

Hey if that represents value to you Pieter....go for it.

Wonder what the manufacturing costs are for these frames

I dont think its fair to compare just manufacturing costs with retail. There are other things to bear in mind

R&D

Branding

Sponserships

All of this money spent needs to be recouped when the frame leaves the store

It feels to me that Ti represents more bang for buck vs. carbon. That true?

Very true.

And custom steel from Vanilla, Richard Sachs, etc. even starts looking like good value.

Yoh the "material" question is such a slippery slope.

Alu is probably on paper the best material ito value proposition. I mean its light enough, its stiff enough and cheap enough. Yet its probably the most undesirable...hahahaha aint that a kick in the head

its about volume of sales. In motorbikes the R&D costs are spread across 10's of thousands of units sold where in bicycles the number of unis sold is probably in the low thousands.

forgive me for saying this.......SUCKERED!

Not really, the so-called 'book' value matched. That's the point of this thread, right?

In another example, I swapped a mint CR250 (less than 20 hours on it, never raced) for a Scott Scale RC. And I was happy..... :wacko:

It's a question of supply and demand; a new craze is sweeping the world and the supply side is taking advantage of it: Charge as much as the market will bear. Business-101, I guess.

What's really annoying is there's no great innovation; it's just shaving a few grams here and there until the product is only just fit for purpose. Thus affecting overall reliability.

If there were new ideas such as a new types of gear selection systems etc. the pricing could be understood.

New production techniques/materials is a common excuse, but there's been nothing really unique in the cycling world for years.

and R4.50 for a Pound!

Went on Holiday to the UK when it was R1,50 to the Pound.... I bought rock candy in Blackpool. The beach had rocks instead of sand, and it was raining.

Forgot to mention that you get shoes and a helmet with the Tarmac.

10530547_647608598657121_3409889502881884566_o.jpg

like a Cajees package deal... they always throw in some extras for "free" :ph34r:

This isn't a fair comparison, there are way more expensive motorbikes out there. Million dollar harleys. Someone out there is willing to drop a million $$$ on a motorbike, and $20,000 dollars on a spez.