Mugging Kayamandi, Stellenbosch this morning

nathrix

Thanks for the concers guys. It was myself and Bianca.

It happened so flippen fast.! We were aware of the muggings going on there, so tried to be on the look out.

It was just so fast.

It was the most awful feeling not stopping immediately with Bianca, but new that if I'd stop they will just grab me, so went into the road and stopped a car.

Luckily Bianca had such a cool head on her and offer her phone when they grabbed her.

At that time they probably saw the car that stopped and just took the phone and ran away.

We can be very grateful, but at the same time, WHY should we be victims to this!!

What if there is a life lost??? Then the media would be quick to put it on the front page of newspapers. Why should it only be then?

We have to stop this!!!

I was not so lucky: https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/140741-mugging-today-on-kuilsriver-road-past-baden-powel/

I am determined to do something about this. If you are interested and this applies to everyone I am going to set up a page where I am wanting to do something about this and create more awareness of what is happening. I am wanting to raise money to get a bike again then cycle over 1000klm to raise money for a organization that provides Trauma counselling and help for victims. I am in the process of getting on local Radio to really try and get some help to put a stop to these sensless attackes and crimes.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the 25th June 2014 while cycling I was brutally attacked by three males. They proceeded to hit me over the head with a chain and then a plank in my face, bringing me down to the ground with speed and force. They then proceeded to steal my bike. If it was not for the help I got from passersby they would of continued to beat me. The story was published in DIE BURGER news paper a day later.

Since then no arrests have been made or any leads found.

I then began to search the internet to see how frequently cyclists and sportsmen and woman are being attacked, the figures were alarming. I then prayed about this and have felt that there is a true opportunity here to bring awareness to more people. My idea is to raise enough money to get a decent bike again then to advertise and get people to join in to cycle a designated distance to raise money for an organization that helps victims of Trauma etc. The organization I would like to choose is called CIC Crime Intervention Centre.

The idea would be to cycle as far as I can in one week. Hopefully over a thousand kilometers.

At present I only have half the money to purchase a second hand bike. I managed to sell my old racing wheels that were not on my bike that was stolen.

If you would like to get involved in this venture as a company you are welcome to email me. The need right now would be to get a bike. I am wanting to get onto the radio and back in the news paper to advertise what I am wanting to do for all sportsmen and woman in Cape Town and South Africa. Your company name will be mentioned in all regards to sponsors and aid towards this expedition.

I ask you to please forward this to other company members whom you know who would want to join in. I inserted a pic from the accident and a link to the newspaper article: http://www.dieburger.com/nuus/2014-06-27-kerkman-met-plank-van-fiets-geslaan-beroof-by-eersterivier

Damn, I rode with two family members past there last weekend. Will consider rather turning left (from Bottelary) to Durbanville side in the future. Its really sad.

Damn, I rode with two family members past there last weekend. Will consider rather turning left (from Bottelary) to Durbanville side in the future. Its really sad.

Stick to the IDT ;)

I still think that there is a role here for Songo.info as a charity with cycling at it's core, operating in Khayamandi.

These informal communities are tight and everybody knows everyone's business. If bikes are being stolen in the area, my guess is there are a number of people who: know who some of the thieves are, know where the bikes are being sold or hidden and know whether this a random, opportunistic act or a planned operation, run by a syndicate.

I will email Songo.info and ask the same questions and encourage them to use their network in the area to get some information to SAPS.

It can only end up hurting their reputation, so I would encourage them to keep their own backyard clean.

I always ride over Devonvale Hill into Stellies to skip the section going past Kayamandi, but I don't understand why we must always make alternative arrangements to bypass these "hot spots". Glad you guys are okay!!! Still not ayoba that they took her phone though!

It can only end up hurting their reputation, so I would encourage them to keep their own backyard clean.

huh?? Hope you didn't say that in the email.

I still think that there is a role here for Songo.info as a charity with cycling at it's core, operating in Khayamandi.

These informal communities are tight and everybody knows everyone's business. If bikes are being stolen in the area, my guess is there are a number of people who: know who some of the thieves are, know where the bikes are being sold or hidden and know whether this a random, opportunistic act or a planned operation, run by a syndicate.

I will email Songo.info and ask the same questions and encourage them to use their network in the area to get some information to SAPS.

There is nothing informal about Kyamandi.

It's a proper suburb of Stellies.

It's made up of low-income peoples with a few bad apples that commit crimes within and to those passing the area, I reckon.

Asking them to act is similar asking JOC cycle shop's club to assist in the prevention of muggings in the Mouille Point area.

I like Songo's response.

"BW Stander (deceased)" - stills brings a lump to my throat....

Yup. And unfortunately a good dose of anger as well.

In some way I feel Songo's presence in Kayamandi is a contributing factor to the problem.

Songo is creating awareness of Cycling, and Mtb'ing in particular. A number of people were empowered by the bicycles they received from Songo.

My reasoning is that there is others that are now aware of the value of the bikes, or might even want to start Mtb'ing themselves, but cannot afford it the legitimate route. Their answer to this problerm is to go and take it from the steady stream of available bikes on the R304.

I might be way off the mark here, but I do not think so.

There is nothing informal about Kyamandi.

It's a proper suburb of Stellies.

It's made up of low-income peoples with a few bad apples that commit crimes within and to those passing the area, I reckon.

Asking them to act is similar asking JOC cycle shop's club to assist in the prevention of muggings in the Mouille Point area.

I like Songo's response.

I do a lot of work with residents and business people from Kaya Mandi and I can confirm that whilst they are most certainly not informal, they are a very tightknit community. Everyone knows everyone so I am with Rob in his approach to Songo.

SAPS is very well aware of this problem and nothing has been done.

Kayamandi is a known hotspot and there are numerous feeds on the HUB warning people to avoid it.

We also use the Devonvale detour and Kromme Rhee (only to see now that KR is also a hot spot!).

Ladies I am glad you are ok - but agreed we need to do something!

We used to love riding along there to Stellies for breakfast and they have taken this away from us all.

Why should we be intimidated and become victims! How can we pool together and take that road back?!

Cameras? Songo? ............? .............?

There has to be a way!