Urban MTB Assalt

fastlegs

Acceptable first effort from the organizers. Saw couple of people take really hard tumbles on some of the more technical sections. I think your concept for the Juma is really creative; but you have to fire the guy/girl in charge of the watering point.  

The floating bridge was really cool, and a highlight for me. 

Summary of my day, riding time 1:09:15, total time spent at bottle necks 2:33:48, left in batch B on the 22km and only returned 3:43:03 later for a silly purple bell. So I decided to call the Juma "Joburg's slowest race". Made the most of it and met some interesting new people today. 

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was the no championchip, no result rule enforced? ( I did not do the race, but heard that there were some manual results captured becaue some of the "upper echelon" riders did not have chips)

Would like to hear a response from Andy please.

They left? Well that's not on when people are relying on them.

I didn't see it myself, but I was told some guy wanted water so badly he filled up from the spruit despite his friends telling him not to...wouldn't want to be him tomorrow...

I had marshals the whole way and they did a great job in my opinion.

Geez that is rough!

Good race. Did not fall luckily. But one real water point for 53km? Not cool. I expected water at marks km 15.. 30.. 45.. Only took one bottle with. And no welcome cold drink at the end? Hmm.

Nice... But i want a medal... Not a freakin bell

A bell how can they give us a bell...I kept walking about trying to see where do I pick up my medal...stupid bell is in the dustbin now

Would like to hear a response from Andy please.

They're probably waiting for those riders trying to claim the longest day prize before they get on here.;)

Having said that, I'm sure we'll get feedback from them. I have been very impressed how they have interacted with us as riders during the build-up to the event, so I am sure they're eager to know what we thought of it.

Thanks for the mechanics at the 38km mark for the water. It seemed the official water point individuals left and you assisted in supplying us water.

What an awesome race! I rarely stop at water points so the lack of additional spots was not a huge issue for me, but I can understand that it could cause problems for people who were expecting 3. Started the 52km in E batch and finished in around 3:11. Bottlenecks here and there but nothing major, and luckily no crashes, although I did see a few people go down really hard.

The tunnel could have had more lights, but then again, how awesome is it knowing you managed to ride 700m blind :)

Anyone know what happened to the guy that started in E batch on a road bike? Can't imagine he made it far, unless he was going for the longest day prize which he probably deserves if he manages to finish. 

Edited by the_mtb

Lastly,a BIG thanks to andrew/andre that assisted me around 30km,when a big piece of stick punctured my rear wheel,thnx bud,even though I couldn't give you something for the assistance, I sincerely wish you all the best in safety and awesome rides in future,if it wasn't for your help at the time,I would've considered a DNF.

Were you the guy with the green mohawk? 

I enjoyed it. Was my first event and wasn't really sure what to expect and although the bottlenecks were really bad for us noobs in the lower slots, it was all part of it. Pleasantly challenging as well. Never seen so many wipeouts!

Also rode in e batch,so we got lucky and missed the bad bottle necks. Also don't normally stop at watering points so not really an issue for me. But did bail hard on the Left turn just after the mechanics at 38kms. Straight over the handle bars.

Was pleased with time though 3h06. Although last 14 Km's was a proper slog.

I don't think it was an easy 52 Km's by anyone's standards. What do you guys think?

Hated hated hated the tunnel.

A few "suspect" results in the top 100 - must have been a few shortcuts taken...

More than a few! I have never seen so many people bypassing / shortcutting around obstacles; a bit ridiculous at times. Really don't get why people do this... pretty much brought their own experience to something no different than a normal Spruit ride.

All in all a good event, just needed more waterpoints man!