how much does the extra 40mm of suspension travel matter??

rudi-h

I'd like to hear from guys that own BOTH 100mm XC bikes and 140mm/160mm trail bikes. (full suspension only)

I'm very seriously considering buying a trail bike. I'm a reasonably capable technical rider and I enjoy single track, drop offs and jumps a more than open gravel roads...

So my question is this:

My gut tells me to buy a 140mm trail bike, more fitting to what I like to ride. The issue is that the pricetag of well specced 140mm trail bike is roughly 1.5X higher than that of a 100mm XC/marathon bike for the same spec.

Using Giant as an example (in an attempt to simplify my point), these are the ball park prices:

Giant anthem advanced 27.5 +- R42k

Giant trance advanced 27.5 +- R58k

Then when I look at Nino Schurter on TV, he manages to ride virtually anything that I can ever hope to ride and most of the time he does it with a HT, nevermind a 140mm trail bike...

So my question is that if I would buy a Giant Anthem instead of a Giant Trance and add a dropper post, then I've effectively saved R15k.

So what do I get for the extra R15k

is it:

1) Is it durability? bigger jumps/drops without the worry of my frame cracking?

2) Is it more forgiving? Will a 140mm bike save my ass where I would have fell on a 100mm bike?

3) Is it more fun even though I can ride the same trail on both bikes?

4) Something else that I haven't thought of?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's more about the geometry than the suspension travel. Slacker head angle, longer top tube and shorter stem make for far easier handling when it gets gnarly.

You will have more fun on the bigger bike (except on the climbs), and that extra travel will (sometimes) save you when you run out of talent.

Unless you actually want to become Nino one day, why make life harder than it needs to be?

Edited by droo

I'd like to hear from guys that own BOTH 100mm XC bikes and 140mm/160mm trail bikes. (full suspension only)

I'm very seriously considering buying a trail bike. I'm a reasonably capable technical rider and I enjoy single track, drop offs and jumps a more than open gravel roads...

So my question is this:

My gut tells me to buy a 140mm trail bike, more fitting to what I like to ride. The issue is that the pricetag of well specced 140mm trail bike is roughly 1.5X higher than that of a 100mm XC/marathon bike for the same spec.

Using Giant as an example (in an attempt to simplify my point), these are the ball park prices:

Then when I look at Nino Schurter on TV, he manages to ride virtually anything that I can ever hope to ride and most of the time he does it with a HT, nevermind a 140mm trail bike...

So my question is that if I would buy a Giant Anthem instead of a Giant Trance and add a dropper post, then I've effectively saved R15k.

is it:

2) Is it more forgiving? Will a 140mm bike save my ass where I would have fell on a 100mm bike?

In answer to your questions...

1-yes

B-Yes

3-Yes

100-Yes

100- Reasons for YES

Carbon wheels

dropper is WAY more than just 1k (so the difference will be about 10k)

frame is stronger.

FAR better fork in the Revelation than that crappy FOX on the anthem

FAR better shock in the Monarch RT3

XX1 vs Deore XT - 2 levels above, basically

Carbon bars & stem

In short - the Trance is a FAR better bike, and can be used for multi day events with no trouble at all.

The only reason Schurter can do that on the bike he has is because, well, he's just so damn GOOD.

EDIT: As Droo says - it's also in the geometry. The trance WILL save your ass when you get it wrong, far more than a 100mm XC race bike will (personal experiences as well) as the numbers just work more to your favour - in addition to the suspension travel.

Also - the increased travel doesn't mean decreased efficiency. Yes, it would at some point, but with the updated suspension platforms, Monarch shock and revelation at the front you'd be able to pedal as far, as fast as long on the Trance as you could on the Anthem - and arguably more comfortably.

So - if you're thinking of the Trance Advanced - DO IT. It's a FAR more versatile bike than the Anthem, and if you want to go big(ger) you can always slap a bigger fork on the front for those DH days, seeing as the Trance SX advanced has EXactly the same frame, but a 160mm fork on the front.

Edited by cpt armpies mayhem

So my question is this:

is it:

i think the answer lies in all of them, my general rule of thumb is go for more, in every situation more is better.

• 203mm rotors, do i need them, no not really but they look the business.
  • 160mm travel do i use all of it( generally unless i run out of talent) no but it looks the business.
  • big ass fat tires, really needed for what i do?( me i say yes but hey i may just be trying to convince myself)but they look the business.
  • when sitting looking at my steed having coffee i have to suppress "wood" cause my bike looks the frikken busines..

thats about all that counts :ph34r:

i think the answer lies in all of them, my general rule of thumb is go for more, in every situation more is better.

• 203mm rotors, do i need them, no not really but they look the business.
  • 160mm travel do i use all of it( generally unless i run out of talent) no but it looks the business.
  • big ass fat tires, really needed for what i do?( me i say yes but hey i may just be trying to convince myself)but they look the business.
  • when sitting looking at my steed having coffee i have to suppress "wood" cause my bike looks the frikken busines..

thats about all that counts :ph34r:

Hahahahaa.... I'm not even in the market for one, but you sold me!!!!

Edited by Raydek

I just bought a Camber Comp Carbon and own a Giant Anthem 2013, one thing I can say its way more fun to ride shorter chain stays and geometry makes it a pleasure on the trails.It only has 110mm front and back but is super quick and snappy down the single track in Tokai.

Also interested in answers to the question...

Not to hijack - but...

- 3 bikes, both with identical geometry, components etc

- Bike #1 has 100mm travel front and back

- Bike #2 has 140mm travel front and back

- Bike #3 has 160mm front, 140mm rear

How much difference would there be on trails, drops, jumps, berms, FUN?

Not to hijack - but...

Almost impossible to get the same geometry without sacrificing something. Assuming a longer wheelbase and slightly higher BB the more the travel progresses (fork would be pushing the numbers out) then the following:

1 SHOULD pedal better up the hills, but be less forgiving in the rough stuff (pick your lines better)

2 SHOULD be the best all rounder, due to the larger amount of travel, far more capable on the downs due to the longer wheelbase and more travel, but also more stable on the downs. Also not as tricky on technical switchback climbs as the 160mm bike as it is shorter.

3 SHOULD be the best descender given the longer travel and more stability with the longer wheelbase, but more tricky on technical switchback climbs due to the same reason.

Not to hijack - but...

For a around fun factor play bike #2 would be my choice with 26 or 27.5 wheels.

For a around fun factor play bike #2 would be my choice with 26 or 27.5 wheels.

Yeah. The extra travel would make a HUGE difference to the average Joe. Of course, you'll never get a 100mm bike with the same geometry as a 140mm bike, so the comparison is a futile one. Unless you have a 100mm bike with a 66 degree head angle, that is. And then it'd be as far removed from an XC bike as you could get.

I just sold my Anthem and purchased the Trance ( not the advanced ) and i was a bit worried about the climbing ability of the Trance as my last 140mm all mountain ( mongoose ) didnt climb well. All i can say is im over the moon with the bike..climbing is no problem and when you point it downhill you just feel super confident and dont have to scan for the less hairy route as i did on the Anthem. Its obviously the better comps on the Trance adv that make the price difference because on the Alu model it,s actually cheaper than the Anthem.

This thread makes me very happy:

My 140 mm travel 27.5 trail bike and fork are being couriered today!

I can't wait to leave my 29er hardtail at home and ride Tokai like I used to in the old days of dual sus 26er's!

Why not look at a Specialized Stumpjumper? they start at R30k, and go from there, 130mm travel on a 29er platform...goes uphill reasonably and goes down even quicker! I will always choose the longer travel bike as the geometry is way different to an XC (100mm) travel bike...

More travel+Slacker angles=more fun!

Why not look at a Specialized Stumpjumper? they start at R30k, and go from there, 130mm travel on a 29er platform...goes uphill reasonably and goes down even quicker! I will always choose the longer travel bike as the geometry is way different to an XC (100mm) travel bike...

More travel+Slacker angles=more fun!

Thing is, for the same spec you'll have to look at the Stumpy carbon S works. And that's a WHOLE lot of more moolah. Trance starts at 22. For the 58k, you have carbon wheels, frame, bar/stem, dropper, Revelation RCT3, Monarch at the back, 140mm travel and a whole BUNCH of more efficient suspension design than on the Spaz.

Giant truly are the value proposition of the bike world. For price to performance, you can't beat them.