Maxxis vs Continental

Pin-it

Hi guys,

Looking for you some opinions and pointers! I am looking for a fairly aggressive, wide front tyres as my current one is reaching the end of its life span! I am currently leaning towards the Continental MountainKing 2 as I have always been a fan of their tyres! However I have been reading great things about the Maxxis tyres! I live in Guateng so venture into the sharp scary rocks some times but to be honest the vast majority of my riding is done on fairly moderate trails. Anyway just looking for your opinion on whether to stick with conti or try the Maxxis and which model in particular would you recommend for Maxxis? Something similar to the MountainKing.

Thanks!

Went from conti x-king front to Maxxis ardent front a year ago and the tire still has plenty tread,tough side wall and plenty grip in all conditions

I have got a Maxxis Ardent in the front and a Crossmark at the rear, very happy with this combo, and they are very well priced for what you get.

I have just fitted some continental x kings protection.....hope you are planning on running tubes. They dont seal easy and they leak plenty on the side walls. Took me 2 weeks to get them to keep their pressure..

I've got the MK II on 1 set of wheels and X King on the other and my wife has the RK on her bike. All of them the Protection. They do struggle to seal some times, but once it's done they're fine. great tyres. Just look out, I see you mention "wide". The Conti's are lots of things, but wide isn't one of them...

I agree..the conti tyres run very nice. If you have trouble with them not sealing, remove them and clean them properly with thinners..then add 125ml ps2 Tyre Fluid. Locally manufactured product and it works fantastic.

I've got the MK II on 1 set of wheels and X King on the other and my wife has the RK on her bike. All of them the Protection. They do struggle to seal some times, but once it's done they're fine. great tyres. Just look out, I see you mention "wide". The Conti's are lots of things, but wide isn't one of them...

Depends on the model you get, you can defiantly get a wide conti tyre. The 2.4 X-King was plenty wide enough for me! Others may have a different opinion on that depending on their personal preference

Maxxis (Crossmark) has no problem sealing!

A Crossmark is also the furthest thing from an aggressive tyre you're ever likely to find.

OP, look at the Schwalbe Hans Dampf and the Onza Ibex as alternatives. Also Maxxis High Roller (1 or 2) and even the CST BFT as a budget option.

I currently have both on different mtb,s .Ardent is the only maxxis I will use in front ,they are heavier than X-king,s but are better on tar .X-king has the best grip I have used and that includes nobby nic ,they will also last forever .I have yet to have a puncture on a conti protection tyre .If you ride in Gauteng like me conti will still be my first choice .If your budget is tight an Ardent in front will be the best choice .Crossmark is not a good front tyre .

I have been riding Maxxis for 2+ years now, excellent tire. Would like my next tire to be Continental.

Any opinion on teasers vs lollipop lounge?

I agree..the conti tyres run very nice. If you have trouble with them not sealing, remove them and clean them properly with thinners..then add 125ml ps2 Tyre Fluid. Locally manufactured product and it works fantastic.

Where do you get this from?

I've Got the Conti xKing front, Race King rear, 27.5...

Use to run Conti Mountain King front, Race King rear on my 26er.

Got xKing front and Race King on my wive's 29'er

All in all no problems, really good tyre,

Can't argue, I scrub scrub scrub the tyre before I fit it.

And then I add some Stans also.

On my wives bike I just check the pressure every weekend before we ride.

On my bike I actually pump the tyre every week before a ride on Friday, that will normally keep it nice till Sunday.

G

• 2 weeks later...

I actually bought it from the big red barn where we ride. Absolutely fantastic. Ps2 tyre fluid, an at only R120 for 500ml.